Hoopy IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakes Rampage

Reaction score
Hey guy first time on the forum. I've been homebrewing for awhile now with my 30 litre coppers fermenter using coppers and mangrove jack cans with kit converters/Enhancer kits from my local brew shop. I haven't played around much with finishing hops but I'm about to start with tc Ipa can + kit convertet #76 (pale ale) which has hops in it and another 12 grams of mosaic finishing hops as I love bitter hoppy Ipa. Does anyone have any advice on the best sequence with the extra hops and any other good Ipa recipes. Cheers.

I reckon you probably won't get much flavour from 12g of hops, especially if they come with a kit that may not have been stored in optimal conditions for hops (vacuum sealed and refrigerated). Stongly recommend you buy a pack of hops (90g or so) from your lhbs or one of this site's sponsors. Boil some in water for 20min, strain, add liquid to your brew. Throw the remaining amount in your fermenter (in a sanitised mesh bag) for a few days once fermentation has finished. This will give you a good addition of flavour and aroma to the beer.

12g isn't really a big drop for an IPA...

I just put 30g Mosaic (~1.3g/L) into an ESB for a touch of "new world" fruitiness. And my Rye IPA also got a modest 115g (5g/L) of Simcoe/Galaxy/Apollo/Amarillo. Yum.

It all comes down to how much of a punch the extract + kit hops provide. Taste the fermenter samples as it goes and add as little or as much as you want (multiple additions are okay). As long as there is still some fermentation happening, then the damage by O2 ingress from the dry hop additions is minimised. I tend to leave my dry hop additions until a SG of around 1.020 is achieved, just so the really active initial part of fermentation doesn't drive off all the wonderful aromatics you are trying to capture.

In an IPA, Mosaic is a great hop to dry hop with, as is Citra, Amarillo, Chinook and of course Cascade (and many *many* more - these are just my fav's). These can all be bought in bulk (100g -> 500g+) from your friendly hop dealers - check the AHB sponsers shop sub-forum (you can get 500g of hops for less than $30). Keep them in the freezer sealed from air and you won't have to use the poorly stored 12g hop sachets ever again... :ph34r:

Thanks guys. I've got hop pellets not whole hops is that still not enough? 12 grams mosaic plus roughly the same in the kit converter and there is hops oil in the can of Ipa??? Sorry if it's a no brainer.

Pellets are fine. The hop flavouring in the kit will probably be mostly just bittering.

Thanks mate thats a great read Done some extra research and have a reasonable understanding now. The only thing I need to work out is quantity of aroma Hops and bittering hops. The local homebrew store in Busselton Wa sold me the 12gram morgans mosaic finishing hops which was about 10 bucks so I fell like thats a rip off. What do you guys think???

Yeah mate, it is a rip off . Standard price for 100 gram packs are $6-$10, depending on hop type. I'd have a squiz at other shops or online.

CHEERS Lads much appreciated looks like I'll be going online as much as I'd rather give money to my local sounds like I'm getting jibbed.

CHEERS Lads much appreciated looks like I'll be going online as much as I'd rather give money to my local sounds like I'm getting jibbed.

Oops, just realised the OP was talking about aroma hops (late kettle additions). 'pologies.

Then again I use approx the same amount as late additions as I do for a dry hop... last IPA was around 1.2g/L as a whirlpool addition, 2.6g/L in the cube, and 5g/L as a dry hop.

The fact that the IPA can is already bittered must obviously be taken into account... possibly go for a quick steep in 80*C ish water before cooling in an ice bath. This way you can add lots of hop flavour without adding heaps of bitterness.

Definitely the small packets of "finishing" hops are a rip off, not necessarily the HBS that is doing the ripping off, would be a bit further up the chain. I would think that having a good 500g+ of Cascade or/and some other versatile hops in the freezer at all times is a must-have for many brewers, and as previously stated, can be bought at very reasonable rates.

If you are looking for a LHBS for hops try Big Gal's Brew Shed in Bunbury. They are a tad disorganised, but very friendly and sell hops by the foil or even by the gram if you want. They get their supplies from TWOC brewing supplies in Perth each week. No affiliation.

thanks for the post man and welcome. Good to hear the Hop feedback too, adding to the knowledge base all the time!

Cheers mate ^^ First post was pretty successful for me can't believe how quick and good the replys are. Stoked happy brewing everyone. I'll be getting that IPA on as soon as my Dutch Lagers bottled.

mofox1 said:
I would think that having a good 500g+ of Cascade or/and some other versatile hops in the freezer at all times is a must-have for many brewers, and as previously stated, can be bought at very reasonable rates.
+1

Definitely going to do that, the missus said she would grow some for me but looks like we've just missed the timing for planting the rhizomes in southwest Wa.

Latest posts

Back