Hobart/tasmania Bulk Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rexi

Reaction score
The THBS in Hobart is ok, but has a fairly limited range of grain (mostly Joe White), is anyone interested in a bulk buy of grains/hops which are not available at the Tassie Home Brew Shop??

The THBS in Hobart is ok, but has a fairly limited range of grain (mostly Joe White), is anyone interested in a bulk buy of grains/hops which are not available at the Tassie Home Brew Shop??

+1

They are trying though... They just started stocking Maris Otter due to popular demand. What did you have in mind?

No doubt they are trying and both of the guys (Amanda and Jay) are great, but I think most of the brewers in Tas are kits and bits brewers, so its just not commercial for them to stock a big variety of AG malts. I am thinking:

Golden Promise is the big one that I have been ordering from Craftbrewer but also other malts which they dont stock, e.g some of the Weyermann malts they dont stock

Even on a smaller scale Wyeasts.

My aim is to establish some contacts with some like minder brewers to start with bulk buys and then maybe start up some sort of brewers club like Westgate, Babbs etc.

Thats great, I visit this site most days and completely missed that. Looks like the issue I raised was one shared by many, I was just a little late on it.

Thanks Jkeske.

No doubt they are trying and both of the guys (Amanda and Jay) are great, but I think most of the brewers in Tas are kits and bits brewers, so its just not commercial for them to stock a big variety of AG malts. I am thinking:

Golden Promise is the big one that I have been ordering from Craftbrewer but also other malts which they dont stock, e.g some of the Weyermann malts they dont stock

Even on a smaller scale Wyeasts.

My aim is to establish some contacts with some like minder brewers to start with bulk buys and then maybe start up some sort of brewers club like Westgate, Babbs etc.

Lucky to have a shop as kitted out as this one in tiny old Hobart (even keep yeast and hops refrigerated... even been to the shop in Moonah?) but still I order a lot from CB myself. I haven't ever ordered in base malt as the postage is expensive. I have only just used Maris Otter for the first time only on my last batch (1week ago) because THBS started stocking it. How would you compare Golden Promise? Would love to join in a bulk buy on that one.

Love your work, please count me in on any further developments.

The bulk buy threads don't show up in the latest threads box, you have to check the bulk buy forum to see whats active :wacko:

whats the moonah shop like these days? haven't been out there for ages.

Dug, who got lucky and checked the bulk buy thread in time :)

whats the moonah shop like these days? haven't been out there for ages.

Dug, who got lucky and checked the bulk buy thread in time :)
Haven't been there in 12 months but it wasn't looking good. Hops (expensive teabags) and yeast out on the shelf unrefridgerated :( I bought enough stuff for an extract brew and it cost me a fortune. I remember the guy behind the counter being mystified why I would buy so many hop bags (around 60-70gm!). I explained that the tins I was buying (from him) were unhopped and I was going to add the hops whilst boiling the extract. "Can you do that?" he said to me!!!

Aussie Home Brewer will become your best friend and before you know it, you'll have 25kg sacks of grain sitting in your garage.
Cough cough... guilty as charged. I have my first 80 odd Kg grain coming in this order. I may be converted :wacko:

With regards to Brew By You in Moonah.....
I was there at the beginning of January and the people were just hopeless. They really didn't know anything and due to Amanda not stocking Centenial in town and I didn't have a need to purchase additional things to justify postage from the above site sponsors, I recently had a quote for 25g Centennial @ $20-$25 (he couldn't tell me exactly because the 'boss' was not in)... I nearly choked and fell off my chair. I am really greatful to Shifter for giving me some in the meantime.

I too noticed yeast sitting on the shelf in the shop and didn't even bother to check for anything else. I have no plans to return there in future unless they change their practices and prices.

Nothings changed, I rang the moonah shop earlier this week, Enquiring on hops that thbs don't stock. I was quoted $4.95 per 25gms, "got plenty on the peg" same thing from a board sponsor is $6.95 for 80gms..........

When I got back into brewing this year, I bought all my kegging gear online, saved hundreds compared to buying local. but I made a deliberate decision to get fermenting gear and consumables from thbs. The advice is worth the few extra bucks I'd save shopping online or going to the big W thats practically at the end of the street.

Seriously, the Moonah shop is a prime example of why we still need to support THBS where it's appropriate. It isn't as extensive as CB, but it is really a blessing for those who live in Hobart. I try not to whine too much when it comes to stuff like this. It is far better to vote with your feet :icon_cheers:

Completely agree Guy!

I was actually speaking to Amanda the other day, and she told me she thought there was enough people taking brewing more seriously these days that she was considering getting liquid yeasts back. Hope that happens.

If Amanda doesn't have the yeast you are after, she will try and source it for you.

I have no problems supporting Amanda's shop as they do try their best to assist and will help you if they can. Apart from that, both Jay and Amanda seem pretty good operators. However, I am not going back to the other dead beat place as they have nothing good to provide and if anything what they generally tell you is the wrong information.

If Amanda doesn't have the yeast you are after, she will try and source it for you.

I have no problems supporting Amanda's shop as they do try their best to assist and will help you if they can. Apart from that, both Jay and Amanda seem pretty good operators. However, I am not going back to the other dead beat place as they have nothing good to provide and if anything what they generally tell you is the wrong information.

Great people but if it's info you're after Amanda is the one you need to talk to. Jays knowledge is pretty simple, he's a kit and kilo man and not really a fan of hops in any great quanitity. I've actually had some pretty poor advice from him when I was starting out but fortunately for me this forum has given me such a wealth of information it didn't really matter anyway.

Hi I was in there yesterday I've just moved down,Amanda said she could order sacks I wanted when she gets her next delivery,she just needs a heads up to add it to the pallet.Maybe if more of us asked we could get a regular supply? She also said liquid yeast didnt move enough last time,but there was more interest and was rethinking getting some in.

Maybe if more of us asked we could get a regular supply?

Her prices for products are not really bad either when all things are considered. Albeit the kits are a bit on the expensive side. Nevertheless, I wonder what price she will do a bulk buy for?
It will probably be a little while before I need to go back but if I remember I will ask her for a price list for a bulk buy.

:icon_offtopic:

It would be really good if we could get some more Tasmanians on the map....

You only need to click the link in my sig and add yourself. If you can't be bothered then let me know (via PM) and I will do it for you.

Back