Hlt Element Fixed Or Immersion?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok... I have done all of the reading (buckets of death and the like) and still cannot make a decision.

I have a 50 litre SS kettle. I have 3 potential ways of heating this to a rolling boil:

1. NASA type LPG burner (Least preferred because of the hassle of running out of LPG at a really inoportune time, and ongoing cost of refills)

2. Placing the element (2200w) from a kitchen kettle (or an immersion element) in the vessel. (there seems yo be some differences of opinion about whether this will achieve a rolling boil for 30 litres of wort). Insulating the kettle with a camp mattress is not a problem. Dual elements begins to place some power supply problems within my brewery.

3. Gameco market a natural gas duckbill burner, and a Natural gas Mongolian burner. Over the phone they have indicated that both of these would be suitable to use from a house supply. I have a gas bayonet in my brewery. Connection of one of these via a 3metre hose would be a tempting solution if feasable)

I am not a plumber or gas fitter. What recomendation would there be from the floor?

Anything electrical would be suitably protected.

Really keen to jump, just want to go in the right direction!

M

I see Tobins sell the following immersion elements;
4108 2400W Plated Straight W/Hook Imm. Heater (PC0800) $95.70 Each
4108A 2400W Plated Bent Immersion Heater $95.70 Each
4108B 2400W Hi Nickel Alloy W/Hook Imm. Heater $74.31 Each
4108C 2400W Black Hi Nickel Alloy Bent Imm Heater $74.31 Each
Is any one of these in particular best suited for use in a converted 50L keg kettle?
Cheers,
TL

Good question TL i was wondering the same thing. I think it was Jez who mentioned 4108C but i'd prefer one with a hook, im guessing the hook is for hanging it over the side of kettle/keg?

Yep, I was thinking the hooked one would be good for slinging over the side of my keg shaped kettle!

I've also emailed Tobins for their thoughts...

TL

Good question TL i was wondering the same thing. I think it was Jez who mentioned 4108C but i'd prefer one with a hook, im guessing the hook is for hanging it over the side of kettle/keg?

Im currently borrowing one with a hook from my LHBS (thanks Col). He picked his up at a flee market in Sydney for $12. Its an oldy, but a goody. It reduced my boil of 17 litres (partial mash) from 1 hour previously (on electric stove) to 10 mins to reach hot break ....They are sensational.
Cheers
Steve

P.S. He wont sell it to me either :(

Im currently borrowing one with a hook from my LHBS (thanks Col). He picked his up at a flee market in Sydney for $12. Its an oldy, but a goody. It reduced my boil of 17 litres (partial mash) from 1 hour previously (on electric stove) to 10 mins to reach hot break ....They are sensational.
Cheers
Steve

P.S. He wont sell it to me either :(

I'm building a brewstand and SWMBO has given me royal asset to use an immersion element in the kettle so I'm looking for one. George Brown in Fyshwick has them for $88 but I don't know if they're the hook types, but at least they can be bought locally!
TL

Whats the best material to use? looks like they have a few different options. Plated, Hi Nickel Alloy, Black Hi Nickel.

I see Tobins sell the following immersion elements;
4108 2400W Plated Straight W/Hook Imm. Heater (PC0800) $95.70 Each
4108A 2400W Plated Bent Immersion Heater $95.70 Each
4108B 2400W Hi Nickel Alloy W/Hook Imm. Heater $74.31 Each
4108C 2400W Black Hi Nickel Alloy Bent Imm Heater $74.31 Each
Is any one of these in particular best suited for use in a converted 50L keg kettle?
Cheers,
TL

TL - see my post #12 on page one. This is a pic of what I believe is the 'bent' version as opposed to the 'hook'. My 50lt keg has a cut top like most others and I would be concerned that the hook version would be skewiff and catch on the inside cut rim. I am planning a field trip to Tobins on Monday so I can report back on what I purchase.

The more expensive ones are used to heat corrosive liquids. We should be OK with those that just heat water.

Cheers, Hogan.

Nice one Hogan, i will keep an eye out for findings.

Cheers,
Hopsta

Ditto Hogan - Let us know how you go - my kettle is a cut out job too so I'm hoping to sit the hook on the rim and not foul the cut edge as well...I suppose I can always open the hole with the grinder or cut a notch for the element to sit in...
Cheers,
TL

I am an all electric brewer and use the immersion element in the kettle for my 23 litre batches. Rather than hanging it over the side of the kettle(converted keg), I run a length of old chrome shower rod across the keg , through the handles, and thus able to hang the element in the middle.

Good tip Roach.

TL & Hopsta - will do some phone inquiries on Monday and make the trip Tuesday. Will advise results on Tuesday afternoon.

Cheers, Hogan.

For 12 months now I've been using a Hotco 2400w immersion element in conjunction with a simple 2 ring gas burner. IMO neither of these alone was ideal for boiling 30lt (too SLow)! However when used in conjunction I can,
1 - heat the sparge water with the immersion element whilst begining to heat the first runnings from the mash with the burner.
2 - raise the temp of the mash in a plastic esky with the immersion element.
3 - achieve a good rolling boil in the kettle (30+lts), with both.
4 - and are somewhat covered in the event of power failure or empty gas cylinders.
It seems a safe and reliable ulternative to placing all your eggs in one basket.

Cheers

Juddy

Agreed that it takes some time with an immersion element in a kettle to get to the rolling boil. My brew day, even with this delay, is 4 and 1/2 hours.

For the HLT I use the immersion element in conjunction with an el cheapo 2000w element I ripped out of a new kettle I purchased from The Warehouse. Gets up to strike/sparge temp pretty darn quick.

The Tobins 4108C has a hook to hang it over the side.

Here's a pic of two of them attacking 40 litres of wort....

Jez

vigorous_boil.jpg

This is how I did mine years ago,and it's still going strong.

It's 1 1/2" BSP,2400w element

Great info guys - thanks for that!
The curtain rod - up there for the lateral thinking - and I've got plenty of that crap in the back of the workshop!!!
Batz - you blackhanders make me green with envy!! I've got two young sons and one's gonna be a fridgey and the other a fitter!! :p
Cheers,
TL

Went to Tobins at South Strathfield today and bought the 4108B immersion heater - 2400w Hi Nickel Alloy with hook for $74.31. This is in black and the salesman says it is the same as the $95 model but not as pretty (is not chromed). Figure that this would suit the converted keg better than the bent model. Using the Roach idea of the curtain rod keeps the element in the centre of the keg (or to the side if you want it) and pretty close to the bottom.

I also got a 2400w screw in element - 3252AG624 - 1" BSP. ($49.62) This has a shank length of 22cm. and apparently can be fitted as a weldless. I got a suitable flange nut from the local hardware and will have a sparkie fix a three pin plug with appropriate earthing and cover plate. Could have got a larger model (1.25" or 1.5") but as I'm only using it in my HLT I don't need to have it reach a boil.

Once In have the fixed element in place in the HLT I will use the immersion heater as a suppliment to heating or boiling if necessary.

Cheers, Hogan.

Batz - you blackhanders make me green with envy!! I've got two young sons and one's gonna be a fridgey and the other a fitter!! :p
Cheers,
TL

A fitter !

Batz,Tidalpete,bigd :blink:

He's doomed :lol:

Batz

Latest posts

Back