Hightail Ale Kit Idea

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCraggen

Reaction score
Okay here goes:

Beermakers old 1.7kg (assuming POR is its bittering hops)
Black Rock Amber malt 1.5KG
200g crystal cara-malt
200g choc cara-malt
maybe a little cascade for finishing (25g or so?)
US-05
23L volume

Anyone think this sounds alright?

Don't know that it will be anything like the Hightail Ale, and with 200g of choc malt, it's going to be much, much darker, ... but ... it sounds like it will end up a mighty tasty beer, and in the end that's all that counts!

Is "Beermakers old" a dark beer? If so, it will finish too dark for MGHA, far too dark.

I've used Cooper's Light malt extract with a can of Amber malt extract before and come out with a colour approximating Hightail's. Maybe a Lager can + Amber malt extract can will get you what you're after.

Warmbeer's right, drop the choc malt altogether.

Those are the only things I'd change.

The Beermakers kit is way too dark a kit for this, even if you made this kit with just dextrose it will come out the colour of Tooheys Old (maybe try the bitter can of goo?). I'm not so sure the cascade has a place in this either, maybe some EKG? The crystal malt looks the goods though

Cahnge to a morgans Bishops Bitter - this will be better and it has a 30gm Sachet of English Windsor Ale yeast in it...
Drop the choc like they say...
Sub light instead of Amber.

sub some of the cascade for fuggles - about 10gms

:)

this is off the net

Mountain Goat Hightail clone 1

* 1.7kg Coopers Real Ale tin (Pale ale if doing Mtn Goat Pale Ale)
* 1kg Light dry malt extract
* 100g Crystal malt (steeped for 20 minutes)
* 100g brewing sugar
* 25g Amarillo hops for the Pale Ale or Goldings/Fuggles for the Hightail, steeped for 10 mins with the LME.

Back