Hi. Kiwi in Melbourne.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElBandito

Reaction score
Kia ora cuzzies

This is my second post (my first was about a balls up... let's not dwell...heh). I've recently started brewing. I'm aiming to find a way to brew myself a giant IPA full 'o' hops. I'm starting with kits at the moment with the ultimate goal of developing upwards through the full processes and gear (as I learn the terminology I'll start using it).

As I mentioned; I'm a Kiwi in Melbourne. I've taken a shine to your big, beautiful country... but not so much the commercial beers. Hence my foray into brewing.

I'm going to lurk around, but this is a great looking community and I love the supportive vibe!

Hi and welcome mate, good luck.

PS if you going to intentionally make bottle bombs, don't tell anyone ;)

I used to make a pretty good IPA from the Coopers Pale can with a small boil and wasn't too difficult,

Where abouts are you based?

I'm not intending to make bottle bombs. I really would rather delicious beer to drink.

Yob: I'm based Altona. There's a store in Yarraville that I need to hit up to learn me some things and purchase some other things... I'm not 100% sure precisely where to start.

Can you tell me more about this IPA of yours?

The pale can is pretty low bittered for an IPA so I used to do a 30 min boil with some hops like centennial. And about 5lt (+500g DME) adding maybe 20g in the boil for 30 mins and 20g when I turned the heat off, chill it in the laundry sink and make the rest of the Brew as normal.. Tasty drop and pretty easy to make, I'd then go on and dry hop with something else that fitted my endless need for other hops...

Cheers

Mate, your local home brew shop in Yarraville, Grain and Grape, is excellent.

99% of the time the staff will spend the time with you to answer any brewing related questions that you may have, however for the sake of other customers in the shop, save your detailed questions for some time other than Saturday morning.

Get yourself down there for a brew demo. They happen most Saturday mornings.

Why not google Westgate Brewers. They are in your neck of the woods. Their members make some pretty good beers. They will be able to help you get started with no BS.

VicBrew is next weekend ie. the Victorian championships. If you are quick you can volunteer to be a steward and get to taste heaps of good beers. See the Westgate boys for assistance.

Highly recommend getting along and helping out at Vicbrew, you get free lunch for assisting and all I believe..

Send Martin OC a PM and see if he still needs helpers, would be a top day

Latest posts

Back