Hepatitis Wine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For anyone with a large stash of these things & can't decide what do do.....Make Jam!!

I purged my folks' chest freezer (just as I was claiming it as my new Keezer :beerbang: ) & picked-up a swag of Nanna's berries.

I decided to turn the whole lot into a big batch of jam just as this recall hit, but since the virus is destroyed by heat, it's a no-brainer anyway.

I'm safe! Honestly, I AM safe - just ask the bloke I shared a needle with just last week....... :ph34r:

wynnum1 said:
What temperature are you storing at i think changes flavor quicker at higher temperature .
True.
There's a noticeable difference between the ones that were stored in the keezer, but also the ones that were stored under the house, which is a fairly constant cool temp even on hot days, and the bottles on the rack in the main, less cool garage. The warmer ones have definitely lost their tang quicker.
Never thought I deliberately store a beer to tone the hops down, but here we are.

Martin, you better not be serving anything with Jam at the July BUMMOCK!!!

HBHB said:
So was the turd component medium rare or well done?
As much as I hate well done meat, it was appropriate in this case (I even had my old man on the phone asking questions about whether to turf the 3 jars of jam I gave them).

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Martin, you better not be serving anything with Jam at the July BUMMOCK!!!
Sunday morning breakfast... :p

'Cmon, man! "There are no known pathogens in beer" & you're worried about a jam that was boiled for 3 hours???

Assuming it was a bad batch of berries I will say two things

A) Hep A can survive a very long time (months to a year) in water and I wouldn't bet on beer killing it
B) Vaccines are not 100%, unless you have had your serology done to confirm immunity I wouldn't trust it
Happy drinking :)

Latest posts

Back