Hepatitis Wine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RobW said:
My advice is:

1 The alcohol level in wine in insufficient to kill the virus (can survive >70%)

2 If the berries are not from the implicated batch then the chance of virus being present is extremely low

My source is happy to take it if you don't want it (C:
Costco berries are unaffected... I'll be drinking mine :party:

Was wondering if anyone made any affected brews.

Everyone, go blackberrying! Here in Melbourne at least, all along Merri Creek you'll find bushes bursting with ripened berries. Only danger is if the bushes have been sprayed, and you can tell that by seeing large bunches of yellowing leaves.

TimT said:
Was wondering if anyone made any affected brews.

Everyone, go blackberrying! Here in Melbourne at least, all along Merri Creek you'll find bushes bursting with ripened berries. Only danger is if the bushes have been sprayed, and you can tell that by seeing large bunches of yellowing leaves.
I went blackberrying once and have the scars to prove it. My grandma did make a very nice pie from them though.

Oh I've got a blackberry mead bubbling away now. Haven't done yet with them thar berries. I might make a porter or saison with berry additions.

All I can find on the net about the affected batch is that 'anything with a use by date before 11 November 2016' is being recalled.

I'd give Robw's source half your batch for the info and if he doesn't get hep A then drink the rest. How can you lose ! :super:

Forever Wort said:
So I may have used these recalled Hepatitis berries in a batch of supposed-to-be-Hepatitisless date and berry wine that has been fermenting for about a month and still crackling away in a stock pot out the back.

Any thoughts on who the guinea pig should be? And more seriously, will the bacteria survive fermentation, should I pasteurise in the bottle?
here's the thing, it's not whether the Hepatitis will survive the alcohol from fermentation.

The question is, do you want to be consuming someone's shit faeces. THAT is where the hepatitis came from.

They said that none of the berries tested positive to hepatitis A but there were cases of hepatitis A linked to berries .Previous tests on berries showed chemicals banned in Australia.

My Daughter made a berry smoothy last night ,as it turns out they are the 2nd batch that advice has been given to not use them.
Her Boyfriend had a drink and started gagging, there was a piece of cleaning cloth in the bag which ended up in the blender then in his mouth.
Photos have been taken and both bagged and put in he freezer.
My Daughter has been ringing the manufacturers ( Nannas) hot line all morning but it is backed up,both drank the mix but not all of it ,and they are both going to the doctor for advice and blood tests for recording,with follow up blood tests in the months to come .
We all here are ******* livid.

All the best for your daughter and her BF spog. Fingers crossed nothing serious comes of it.

There is a fair bit of explaining to do by Patties..

Blergh, we have 3 packs of these berries in the freezer. All will be going for a refund, but that doesnt help you much. Essentially though the recall is that ANY berries are to be discarded/returned.
There are no batch numbers on these, and as they have a 2 year expiry date they dont know when the contamination occurred.

Sounds like you'd better chuck your brew out Forever Wort. If you can/if it's worth it, recycle it by putting it into homemade slug/snail traps for the garden: milk bottle, with little doors cut out on either side for the slugs to get in and out, and some beer at the base. The slugs will come in, attracted by the smells, and drown in the booze.

I've been having frozen mixed berries (predominantly Nanna's) with my muesli for breakfast for the past 3 years.. looks like I'll be reverting to bananas.

Luckily I have had my Hep A & B shots for work a while back due to working in many treatment plants.

I consume these ******* things by the handful almost daily by way of a breakfast / post training smoothie. Had my hep shots when plumbing but that was years ago. Like years ago.

If my eyes begin to yellow and I'm forced into a beer hiatus , I can think of a few who will conclude, even if they do not say, 'oh right, the 'berries' made him crook'..

Jezuz.. I feel like I'm coming over all litigious and need to get my lawyer on the phone. Now I know how an American feels.

{get my lawyer, not my layer}

{either way I suppose..}

Dave70 said:
If my eyes begin to yellow and I'm forced into a beer hiatus , I can think of a few who will conclude, even if they do not say, 'oh right, the 'berries' made him crook'..
A little OT, but after my spontaneous pneumothorax (air pocket in lung) a couple of weeks back, my grandfather-in-law said it was due to my drinking habits at family functions.

It gave me a good chuckle.

I love this thread, it shows how committed people are to their craft, "hmmmm this may have hepatitis in it, but gee it looks tasty, might check on ahb first it would be terrible to waste" like not even hepatitis can get in the way of thinking twice about tipping a batch :')

Latest posts

Back