Hepatitis Wine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forever Wort

Reaction score
So I may have used these recalled Hepatitis berries in a batch of supposed-to-be-Hepatitisless date and berry wine that has been fermenting for about a month and still crackling away in a stock pot out the back.

Any thoughts on who the guinea pig should be? And more seriously, will the bacteria survive fermentation, should I pasteurise in the bottle?

Hepatitis is a virus not a baccteria....as for whether it will survive fermentation... No idea... but unlikely.

If the batch dates aren't those in the recall you should be fine. If they are.... honestly not sure what I would do. Maybe have a chat to a medico about how hardy the virus is.

For a few $ in product, I don't think I would keep it. Chuck it and make a fresh batch. The $ spent will be long forgotten before a case of Hep A

Are you vaccinated against Hep A?

I'd er on the side of caution myself and toss it. You can check the recall details, but I'd rather blow $50 worth of ingredients than risk getting the virus and the potential for hep A induced liver failure.

JD

Yeah check the batch numbers - you may be fine.
The alcohol probably would've destroyed the virus. However it's obviously survived the freezing process so I don't know if I'd risk it. I'm also under the loose impression that alcohol has been proven to be not completely effective in sterilizing against viruses in medical settings (though that could be wrong).
I'd be too paranoid every time I drink it.

So damn disappointing after all that hard work, FW!!

I'd vote toss it.

And don't buy Chinese/Chilean berries next time...

Uh, dude... Hep is no fun and not worth the risk. Check the batch number and if it's not the infected batch, drink up!

technobabble66 said:
Yeah check the batch numbers - you may be fine.
The alcohol probably would've destroyed the virus. However it's obviously survived the freezing process so I don't know if I'd risk it. I'm also under the loose impression that alcohol has been proven to be not completely effective in sterilizing against viruses in medical settings (though that could be wrong).

And don't buy Chinese/Chilean berries next time...
You can't get local frozen berries at the supermarkets, all from China or South America from my shopping experience. Would love to know where I can get local frozen berries, preferably without the "fecal matter" that this recent Hep A batch in question had.

Dodged a bullet there.. My raspberry RIS is berries from Costco, they had their hep a scare in 2013 but not this round as far as I can see

I heard on my local news, that if you have any of these berries -DISCARD - regardless of expiry date.
I'd visit the shop manager and offer them a bottle, or an opportunity to refund.
I know which I'd be taking, given the choice, but maybe I'm old and not adventurous any longer.

If you boiled the berries, it should be OK.

How do I remove hepatitis A from my drinking water?
To kill or inactivate hepatitis A, bring your water to a rolling boil for one minute (at elevations above 6,500 feet, boil for three minutes) Water should then be allowed to cool, stored in a clean sanitized container with a tight cover, and refrigerated.

The berries were not boiled. I and my girlfriend have been vaccinated but I wanted to give a few bottles away. I could toss the batch but it cost about $80 (multiple packs of berries, a few kilograms of dates, sugars, yeast) so I am hesitant.

Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to any batch numbers, packets etc. when I bought the berries a month ago.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Nothing a little twinrix won't fix :D

But in all seriousness, $80 vs possibility of hep A? I'd bite the bullet and toss it unfortunately.

I work with a number of Hepatitis experts.
If you stand by I can ask them.

Spread the good shit around...

manure.jpg

Frozberries is where I get all my berries from. Mostly because they are just round the corner but also because they do try to source local fruit -

Where does our fruit originate from? We endeavour to buy Australian wherever possible. Our Mango Cheeks (Halves) and Puree are sourced from Northern Queensland. We have occasional supply of Australian Blueberries. However, due to harsh climatic conditions, very limited quantities of frozen berries and purees are available commercially in Australia. Our Boysenberries, for example, are sourced from lush growing regions in New Zealand and are the worlds best. Occasionally, we will buy Raspberries from Europe and, of course, Cranberries are not grown commercially in Australia and are imported from the USA

My advice is:

1 The alcohol level in wine in insufficient to kill the virus (can survive >70%)

2 If the berries are not from the implicated batch then the chance of virus being present is extremely low

My source is happy to take it if you don't want it (C:

Latest posts

Back