Hepatitis Wine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Airgead said:
Hepatitis is a virus not a baccteria....as for whether it will survive fermentation... No idea... but unlikely.
Correct you are, hepatitis A is a virus, however I'm not so sure fermentation will have much effect on it.

Hep A virus is shed from humans in the faeces in an inert/inactive form i.e. it is not alive (well no virus is really "alive", they are just bits of DNA/RNA that sneak their way into your cells and use their machinery to replicate). It is essentially dormant, and being dormant it is unaffected by things like freezing and probably fermentation. It is reactivated once it hits it's host (i.e. us).

I'm vaccinated, but I'll still be taking the couple of bags of nannas fruit I've got in the freezer back to woolies and getting my money back. I don't intent to test the efficacy of the vaccine.

JD

Yob said:
Dodged a bullet there.. My raspberry RIS is berries from Costco, they had their hep a scare in 2013 but not this round as far as I can see
I'm in a similar boat. Added the fruit to my first ever raspberry wheat about a week ago.
SWMBO asked yesterday if they were Nannas...fortunately not, the local IGA only had Sara Lee frozen raspberries.

How do I know if I cooked my produce sufficiently?
Hepatitis A virus is killed by heating to an internal temperature of 185°F (85°C) for 1.5 minutes.

I was reading in the ABC news web page that the problem also went to the 'creative gourmet' brand to. That's what I buy!

klangers said:
I went blackberrying once and have the scars to prove it. My grandma did make a very nice pie from them though.
MMMMmmm scar pie....

Forever Wort said:
I could toss the batch but it cost about $80
$80 vs possibly never being able to drink alcohol again, stuff the 80 bucks. I don't think your going to enjoy the wine anyway as your going to keep wondering if it is infected and waiting for any symptoms, no thanks.

Mr. No-Tip said:
Dyson vacuums have a hepa filter. Maybe run it through that?
Dyson's are expensive though. I'm a bit of a titis, so I bought a hoover.

grott said:
$80 vs possibly never being able to drink alcohol again, stuff the 80 bucks. I don't think your going to enjoy the wine anyway as your going to keep wondering if it is infected and waiting for any symptoms, no thanks.
Get vaccinated for hep a and then it will be safe to drink.The vaccination is payed by your employer if there is a risk.

I hate it when a homely sounding product turns nasty.

Suppose 'Shit fingers' frozen berries doesn't have much of a ring to it though.

Dave70 said:
I hate it when a homely sounding product turns nasty.

Suppose 'Shit fingers' frozen berries doesn't have much of a ring to it though.
OT- But the above made me fondly recall Roy and HG's Date Fingers

datefingers.jpg

Nizmoose said:
I love this thread, it shows how committed people are to their craft, "hmmmm this may have hepatitis in it, but gee it looks tasty, might check on ahb first it would be terrible to waste" like not even hepatitis can get in the way of thinking twice about tipping a batch :')
It aint an easy thing to let go.
I've got a SMASH pils made with Motueka that tastes like lemon / grapefruit punch. Lagering and time has done little to quell it's puckering ickyness. Was considering turfing it, but since I went to all the trouble of bottling it, well, you know..
Best consumed slightly above freezing.

What temperature are you storing at i think changes flavor quicker at higher temperature .

I'm vaccinated, I'll take it off your hands LOL

If I haven't caught anything from working in sewers, don't see how this would damage me

Latest posts

Back