Help Wanted With Good Examples Of Styles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matho

The Braumiser
Reaction score
good news everybody

my xmas present is going to be beer :D , i just want advise on what are good examples of english ales, belgium ales and maybe some german lagers

cheer's
matho

Belgian Ales:

Trappist Rochefort 8 (tried the 10 (yesterday actually) way too much alcohol for me, the 8 was perfect)
Leffe Brune
Gouden Carolus
Brugge Blonde
La Guillotine
Duvel
Orval

German Lagers:

Warsteiner

English Ales:

Old Speckled Hen
Newcastle Brown

... interested in what others suggest

Belgian Ales:

Trappist Rochefort 8 (tried the 10 (yesterday actually) way too much alcohol for me, the 8 was perfect)
Leffe Brune
Gouden Carolus
Brugge Blonde
La Guillotine
Duvel
Orval

German Lagers:

Warsteiner

English Ales:

Old Speckled Hen
Newcastle Brown

... interested in what others suggest

+ 1 All the above plus

La chouffe
Murrays grand cru and sassy blonde
Unibrou La Fin Du Monde

Fullers ESB
Hopgoblin
and Fiddlers Elbow

So many good beers too numerous to mention but these pop up in my mind first

Oh i almost forgot you have to try Scneider Aventinus :icon_drool2: and make sure you get the Trappist Rochefort 8 or 10 definately my fav of choice if money was no issue

You might want to try the entire Weihenstephan range.

Classic Style examples are outlined in the BJCP style Guidelines.

Belgians you should try (in addition to those above) include: Hoegaarden, Gulden Draak, Rodenbach Grand Cru and the Unibroue range (esp. the Maudite and La Fin Du Monde).

Brit beers you should try (in addition to those above) include: the Young's range, the Fuller's range, some Strong ales such as Thomas Hardy, the Murray's Imperial Stout and the Bass range of ales.

That'll be enough to get you going, before I start waffling about wheat beer (like I do).

Beerz
Les

If you find any Unibroue the Trois Pistoles is very tasty!

+1 Hoegaarden or Edelweiss (Austrian) if you want wheat...

thank's guy's for all the info i'll write them down and go start searching

cheer's matho

Pilsner Urquell. Often hear how it is a very good pilsner eg.

It's not German, but Budvar is a top drop.

+1 for Timothy Taylor Landlord.

Everyone I know whos had it loves it - Augustiner - Austrian? Never tried it myself.

Kev

Unibroue Done de Dieu (possibly my favourite beer in the world - IMO much more complex than La fin du monde)
3 Monts (even though I think it is technically French, it is still amazing)
DueS if you hve the money and the mrs is into spiced beers
Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus (my favourite sour beer in the world)

Worthingtons white shield (never had it, but apparently it is a very nice IPA)
Youngs special London bitter

Thats about all I can think of that hasnt been mentioned.
All the best
trent

EDIT - Rodenbach Grand Cru, though this one can be a little much if you are not right into sour beers. Maybe.

Everyone I know whos had it loves it - Augustiner - Austrian? Never tried it myself.

Kev
I'm pretty sure its German.
Bloody nice beers, tried a few in Munich but haven't been able to find them over here.

thanks again ill just have to find them now

cheer's
matho

thanks again ill just have to find them now

cheer's
matho

Ruddles County is a nice drop of English bitter you can pick up pretty easily in Aus and a more unique Appley taste than the others mentioned... At $10 a bottle just savour it and be grateful you're not paying for it!!!
http://www.ruddles.co.uk/about_countyale.htm

I've also occasionally seen Young's Bitter around too, which is Bottle-conditioned FWIW
http://www.youngs.co.uk/beer-bitter.asp

Personally I think the Speckled Hen and Newcy Brown are a lot average, just my taste though.

Hen's Tooth is another bloody lovely bottle-conditioned one I've seen here in Oz, even in BWS, although they seem to be slowly stamping out these beers to go with the tiny Speckled Hen/Newcastle Brown selection, at least in my area. :( sob

http://www.greeneking.co.uk/launch_other_gk_ales.htm

Enjoy anyway, you're already a winner :beer:

and whilst I was looking around I spotted this place:
http://www.beerstore.com.au/product.asp

looks like i found my list for santa!

also this is a good reference for reviews:
http://www.bottledbeer.co.uk/

$50 and 20 minutes later, i've got a little cart together!
Belhaven St Andrews Ale
Brakspear Organic Beer
Morland's Hens Tooth Bottle
Youngs Special London Ale Bottle
Youngs Bitter

if i could recommend only one of those, it would definitely be the Morland's Hens Tooth, bottle-conditioning FTW!

Theres always www.cantillon.be/ if you want to explore the "dark" side, or should that be sour side
Ros de Gambrinus
or the one with the pissing kid on the label, can't remember the name

good news everybody

my xmas present is going to be beer :D , i just want advise on what are good examples of english ales, belgium ales and maybe some german lagers

cheer's
matho

I agree with the weihenstephan comment...I haven't had a beer of theirs that I haven't liked. On a hot day, the Original can be drunk by the bucket and the Korbinian is amazing.

Most people have listed some damn good belgians. The Cantillon beer with the kid pissing on the lable is the geuze, and probably gives you an indication of what it tastes like. I personally love the stuff, but it's definately not for everyone. Along the lines of 'not for everyone', I'd add Rodenbach Grand Cru.

For the English beers though, White Shield IPA I can vouch for, as I can for most of the Fullers range. Stay away from newcastle brown in the (clear) bottle...if you can find it on tap it's a great beer.

However I don't think anyone's mentioned the Samuel Smith's range. I'm usually not a huge fan of English beers, preferring the belgians and germans but the entire Samuel Smith's range is excellent. Their Imperial stout is jaw droppingly good, the nut brown ale not far behind. The IPA is amazing, but I was a little dissapointed in the pale ale (I'm not a pale ale fan though).

Have a good Christmas (sure you will)

James

Latest posts

Back