Help, pale ale aroma

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As above . Another thing to consider is the quality of your hops. Some years, due to adverse growing conditions, the hops from certain areas aren't much chop. Also the big boys get the cream of the crop and we're left with the remains . For example last years Aussie crop didn't impress me at all , this years Aussie cascade and galaxy is exceptional IMHO.

Edit- Forgot it's 2017. 2016 crop Au hops are exceptional .

Thanks for all the info. I have tried keg hopping but again did not get much result wise, will try a few of the suggestions, thanks again

Pratty1 said:
Hey Stewy,

The half campden tablet, how do you add that to the water?

Crush and dilute or just throw it in with the mash.
. Crush between 2 teaspoons & toss it into the water as it's heating up to mash temps

rude said:
Mate not much 23L batch was only 1 gram per litre cascade
Only second time I've dry hoped was for 6 days then cced for can't remember
I get this how do I explain it grassy ginger flavour
Sorry for off topic
I brew with cascade very regularly. For a Pale Ale I go 4g/L if using Cascade. Anything less I find has very little impact. At 1g you are really just throwing hops away. Other hops like Citra for example can give results at lower dry hop quantities but not Cascade

The biggest thing for me was just quantities of late and dry hops. I bumped it up from ~2g/l to 4g+ late and dry and the difference was night and day. I've gone as high as 8g/l in some big ipa's, never feels wasted.

Haydos13 said:
The biggest thing for me was just quantities of late and dry hops. I bumped it up from ~2g/l to 4g+ late and dry and the difference was night and day. I've gone as high as 8g/l in some big ipa's, never feels wasted.
As much as I love late-hopped beers, if you need well over double the dry hops of hop monsters like Pliny the Elder, maybe it is worth checking out the pH of your water/mash or kegging practices if you don't already?

Keg hopping is big difference to hopping in the fermenter I think.

Ive recently started dry hopping in the keg but keeping the keg in the ferment fridge with the next brew to condition for a week if I dry hop. Then I'll carbonate fully and chill in the keg fridge after I pull the hops.
Haven't had grassy of herby flavours this way and get much better aroma.
Seems to make a huge difference.

There's a caveat, though, I've just moved house to a better source of water and started filtering water so possibly the water makes a huge difference and the dry hop in keg over fermenter a small difference.

Many variables changing together etc etc

Edited: big fat fingers, tiny little phone.

Latest posts

Back