Help, pale ale aroma

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

givemeamash

Reaction score
Having spent the best part of summer drinking my saison, when the keg blew I headed to the shop and have been enjoying Burleigh 28, balter xpa (unreal beer but way overpriced) and the old favourite LCPA. It got me thinking as to why I can't get that classic fruity aroma that these beers have. I use a grainfather, chill, there in late hops and dry hop but usually just get left with that grassy taste and smell once in the keg. I have dry hopped for 7 days down to 24 hours normally use c hops for this job and can't seem to crack it. I generally use hops from my fridge freezer which are bought in bulk but am starting to think that this is the problem.... any ideas???

Followed...

Having much the same issue with my Ales

Smells awesome fermenting and then nothing in the keg...:(

Whenever my APA beers come out a bit bland I keg hop

Having said that I have a APA that I dry hoped too long at the moment grassy arse off
keg hoped but not much improvement

Ill fix this keg by tipping I recon

I've been trying to research this of late too as I had an amazing ipa that smelled better than the commercial beers in the fermenter st 1 degrees. As soon as I transferred it to the keg it was gone. From everything I've read oxygen is the culprit. On this current brew I am going as far as I can to limit oxygen contact so hopefully it has a big impact.

My theory is chlorine, it mutes the hop flavours. Just getting into adjusting my water now and am hopeful this will help. I feel a lot of breweries also have this issue

When I was chasing this white rabbit, my first big improvement in aroma came from doing a hop stand. Chill to 80, add between 2 to 4g/l and whirl pool for 30 mins and then continue the chill..

Second improvement came from minimising O2 contact. ie Purging keg with CO2 before filling... Ensuring transfer plumbing in leak free... Basically every tiny detail to ensue absolute minimum O2 contact. I spoke with a commercial brewer who quoted 10 parts per billion O2 will impact on all that hop goodness

How many grams per Litre are you dry hopping?

it was suggested to me that if co2 leaks out of "keg" it can also take with it the hop aroma

thoughts on this ?

just cubed 2 X +-15L cubes, hopped into cube and intend to ferment under pressure in corny and then transfer fully carbed to serving kegs

Maheel said:
it was suggested to me that if co2 leaks out of "keg" it can also take with it the hop aroma

thoughts on this ?

just cubed 2 X +-15L cubes, hopped into cube and intend to ferment under pressure in corny and then transfer fully carbed to serving kegs
Could that be in relation to dry hopping during before the krausen goes down? I.e. The increased co2 from fermentation drives off the hop aroma?

nosco said:
Could that be in relation to dry hopping during before the krausen goes down? I.e. The increased co2 from fermentation drives off the hop aroma?
sorry i was meaning a gas leak once kegged, it was suggested leaking gas could / was taking the aroma away

so this week i am solving a few gas leaky kegs....

I found mine improved significantly with the following water treatment:
(You will obviously need a water report or test your water to know your starting profile and then use some software.. plenty if you google)

- half a campden tablet to remove chlorine/chloramine
- addition of gypsum to ensure sufficient calcium (BNE tap water is low), and more importantly to increase the sulfate:chloride ratio, which accentuates hop bitterness/flavour/aroma. You want at least 2:1 ratio in hoppy beers (can go higher than that, 2:1 is absolute minimum)
- addition of either acidulated malt/lactic acid to get mash pH in range (BNE pH is approx 7.8-7.9, without acid additions pH is too high in paler styles)
- use less bittering hops and really load up the late additions.. also with the flame out additions, leave them to stand for 20mins before chilling
- dry hop at a minimum of 4g/L

Good luck!

I brew hop-forward beers almost exclusively. If you use unbalanced/unfiltered water my guess is oxidation. I avoid this by filling kegs through the liquid post.

Pratty1 said:
How many grams per Litre are you dry hopping?
Mate not much 23L batch was only 1 gram per litre cascade
Only second time I've dry hoped was for 6 days then cced for can't remember
I get this how do I explain it grassy ginger flavour
Sorry for off topic

rude said:
Mate not much 23L batch was only 1 gram per litre cascade
Only second time I've dry hoped was for 6 days then cced for can't remember
I get this how do I explain it grassy ginger flavour
Sorry for off topic
Increase the dry hop to 2.5g/L and do it just at the end of ferment, krausen should have started to drop out. Leave for 3-4days.

Also try more pungent hops like citra, Galaxy, Amarillo and simcoe.

Keeping oxygen levels low is important to better aroma too.

Hey Stewy,

The half campden tablet, how do you add that to the water?

Crush and dilute or just throw it in with the mash.

It actually doesn't take long to run through 30 odd litres of water through a Brita Jug. I did that recently when my tank water was getting a bit manky.
Just factor in other tasks around it.

I think large volumes of co2 ie sitting over your beer in a half full keg does a lot for stripping hop flavour/aroma.

Solution - Chuck some more hops in the keg.

pcmfisher said:
I think large volumes of co2 ie sitting over your beer in a half full keg does a lot for stripping hop flavour/aroma.
Is this tongue in cheek?

Pratty1 said:
Increase the dry hop to 2.5g/L and do it just at the end of ferment, krausen should have started to drop out. Leave for 3-4days.

Also try more pungent hops like citra, Galaxy, Amarillo and simcoe.

Keeping oxygen levels low is important to better aroma too.
Thanks for advice was dry hoped after a week of ferment
but was under the pump left for a week then ccd for (didnt write it down) so too long I think

When I keg hop it brings lots of flavour not sure about aroma will check next time

Any keg hopers get aroma from this method ?

I find if the keg doesnt last long you have to pull the hops out after 4 days or so & flavour disipates quickly

Latest posts

Back