Help needed- portable keg options

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben1

Reaction score
Hey guys

I just got into kegging and I love it. I've committed to bringing a keg to an event and I don't know how to approach it.

What is the easiest/cheapest way to take a keg to a party? What is the minimum gear I will need?

Thanks again

I have a couple of 9L kegs that are great for this but have also taken 19L kegs to parties.

At a minimum you need a beer disconnect with a length of tube and a tap of some description attached, I have a beer gun but find picnic taps are cheaper and better.

You then need a way to top up gas so you can keep serving. You can either take your regular gas bottle which might make it less portable, set up a soda stream bottle or use CO2 canisters like those used by cyclists, you can get dispensers for these with or without a regulator. Have a look at site sponsors or keg king and they should be able to sort you out. It's well worth the investment!

Easiest for me is dropping a 9 litre keg into an esky with ice and using a soda stream bottle with regulator adapter and a bronco tap on beer line to dispense

If you need it by this weekend, drop in at craftbrewer for the options contrarian mentioned. Brewers choice may have some of it, they may be more for the permanent setups.

Thanks for the quick response guys! I have 19L kegs so its a little bit less portable.

So what you are saying is I probably just need to get a Bronco tap (from Craftbrewer) and a 50L bin from the green shed and I should be alright?

I can pull apart my kegerator and get the gas bottle, regulator, Non return valve, gas line, gas quick disconnect and beer quick disconnect.

Does this sound right?

Yep, or you can leave your fridge intact and get a keg charger and mini co2 bulbs for not much more than 50 bucks. Just give it a squirt when the flow slows.

Thanks guys. I know what I need to get now.

I just priced everything I needed (including the C02 Charger + bulbs) and it came to $100.

I remember thinking at one stage this was going to be a cheap hobby, oh how I was wrong.

I'm currently "building" a portable system that holds a 9.5L keg and a 400 gram CO@ cylinder with a full sized regulator. I managed to pick up an old team sports water cooler for $20 on gumtree(remember those mcdonalds branded ones they had for kanga cricket and the like). Its an igloo brand, so you can get new ones too, they are about 30L i think, but any of those powerade or gatorade ones will also do the trick. I'm in the process of painting the body a new colour, removing the mcdonalds branding, and also painting the flat sticker section with chalkboard paint so i can write the type of beer.

Cooler 1.jpg

Cooler 2.jpg

I would make that maccas water cooler have dual purpose, mash tun and portable keg set up.

There's an awesome thread on here with some great designs, can't link to it as I'm on my phone. Search for 'portable keg' & you should find it easily

Latest posts

Back