Hello from Melbourne Australia

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey there

My name is Martin (scientzing4beer), and just joined the forum because it was the best place I could get info about the VicBrew comp this weekend. I run a blog (http://scientzing4beer.wordpress.com/) and also have a twitter account @scientzing4beer. I run a modest beer club from the blog, and am a beer lover and homebrewer.

Nice to meet you all.

Martin

Welcome! I'm sure as a reasonably experienced brewer you'll find lots to (dis)agree about on this forum. :)

I only had a quick flick through your blog site but if the standard of writing is up to the standard of the photography then I'll be an avid reader. Also, as a scientist, I like the concept "All The Scientz". Keep it up.

Hey thanks for the replies! I'm in Coburg. Nice place but too far from all the quality homebrew shops. Do most of my ordering online these days. I'm planning a super hoppy turbocharged red ale soon. In the meantime I'm waiting for my latest RIS to condition... patiently-ish.

Oh and yes I'm a scientz fan. Beer is a scientz and I enjoy the knowledge and the chemistry behind it as well as, well, I get to drink my results!

I hope you don't mind me asking, what's your science background? Like I said above, I haven't had a chance to read your blog where it's probably apparent.

As you'll soon learn, there are all types of thinkers here. From, "This is the scientific community's current stance." to, "Well, I don't care about the science, this has worked for me." and everything inbetween. I guess I'm just sussing out where you fall. Hint: In my view, any extrimsit is missing the big picture. :)

Ha! Yes, the 'proof of the pudding' so to speak, is the best part!

verysupple said:
I hope you don't mind me asking, what's your science background? Like I said above, I haven't had a chance to read your blog where it's probably apparent.

As you'll soon learn, there are all types of thinkers here. From, "This is the scientific community's current stance." to, "Well, I don't care about the science, this has worked for me." and everything inbetween. I guess I'm just sussing out where you fall. Hint: In my view, any extrimsit is missing the big picture. :)
Well I'm not a scientist, just a casual pop-sci lover, mostly because of my disliking of pseudoscience and the damage it causes. Both my parents were scientists, dad a freshwater biologist and mum worked in medicine, so it kinda rubbed off on me.

I and many other members can heartily endorse your choice for October's feature beer on your blog. We have caused a sudden spike in sales of Punk IPA across Victoria's Dan's stores .

Yeah, Prince Imperial, it's a good one that. Unfortunately I have since found out that Phoenix Beers (the distributor for Brew Dog) won't be bringing any more in until mid next month, so I may need to postpone the monthly tasting until then. In the meantime I'm trying to track down a bottle of Black Market Brewing "Invasion" Imperial Red Ale for my next review. Phoenix also informs me there are only 7 boxes left in Vic of that particular beer, and there won't be any more coming in... Pity really, that particulr beer is shaping up (aliongside 3 Ravens "Druid") as one of the best beers I've tasted this year!

Again, that's probably our fault. Through human error or act of God the price on the website was displaying as $4.99 per "six" pack (they come in fours of course, but some IT guy didn't know that). Lots of members capitalised on this unique opportunity.

scientzing4beer said:
Hey thanks for the replies! I'm in Coburg. Nice place but too far from all the quality homebrew shops. Do most of my ordering online these days. I'm planning a super hoppy turbocharged red ale soon. In the meantime I'm waiting for my latest RIS to condition... patiently-ish.
You'd be 20mins drive to Greensborough Home Brewing, Daves service is great, no affiliation.

Nice blog too mate, good going!

Hey mate, if you're in Coburg you should drop by the Northern Craft Beer festival this Sunday!

Your local brew club will be brewing a beer there at 2PM.

@ DJ_L3ThAL Yeah I've been to his shop before, he's pretty good from my experience too. But the convenience of getting it delivered is just too good. Means I have to be organised and know exactl what I want to make.

@ Forever Wort I might have to check that out. My missus is a bit miffed at me at the moment because all my weekends are taken up with beer something something something, so I might be forced to paint the fence that day :_(

You coouuld paint the fence ...

Or you could come down to Pentridge Prison, have a few beers, meet some local brewers and mash out in a prison cell!

From Coburg: Dave in Greensborough, Home Make It in Reservoir, Grain & Grape in Yarraville (bit of a drive), and then there's that mob in Heidelberg West

@ Spiesy I knew about Dave, and have been to G&G a couple of times, but how ceom I never knew about Home Make It? Looks like a good place to get my bulk base grains etc.

Any more info on the mob in West Heidelberg?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back