Heater Element Wire Covers?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mschippr

Reaction score
Hi All,

Does anyone have any suggestions about what i can use for a heater element wire cover and how to fix it to the vessel/element?

Thanks,
Mark.

Like a false bottom mate, i.e. Stainless collander or Stainless mesh?

Hi Raven, Nah i mean to cover the terminals on end the elements. I need a terminal cover for the RIMS and one for the HLT element to protect it from wandering hands and splashes. ;)

I had thought about getting some metal project boxes of the appropriate size from the electronics store and drilling out a 1" hole in the bottom but wanted to see if anyone else had another idea.

Hi Raven, Nah i mean to cover the terminals on end the elements. I need a terminal cover for the RIMS and one for the HLT element to protect it from wandering hands and splashes. ;)

I had thought about getting some metal project boxes of the appropriate size from the electronics store and drilling out a 1" hole in the bottom but wanted to see if anyone else had another idea.

The dicast box with the 1" hole is about the easiest

QldKev

Or some kind of shrink wrapped protection? Issue will be a cord hanging still from the box.

The aluminium box works on my HLT a treat, that could be your best option.

What about a plastic electrical J box? They come in 2 sizes.

Junction box like cozdog suggests and sikaflex

Junction box like cozdog suggests and sikaflex

Hit up jaycar, theres millions of plastic junction boxes..
I wouldn't use metal unless it was well earthed to something solid, not your hand...

I wasn't sure if the plastic boxes would melt. Has anyone had any issues with melting?

Thanks for all the suggestions. ;)

You can get 1" cylindrical covers from electrical stores that look like mini drainpipes - forget what they're called :wub: made of CPVC I'm guessing? Fine for brewing temps. Could just use a Junction box, so long as it is CPVC or something else that can take a bit of heat.

Hi, I went to Altronics today and picked up some sealed ABS project boxes and some strain relief glands. I was thinking of also putting a 240v LED in for on/off indication (Jaycar CAT. NO. SL2632)

Just need to work out how it will mount to the keg/vessel and element, See when i get home.

Also is it recommended to connect the earth wire direct to the keg/vessel or leave it loose?

2011_07_12_11.09.21_1000.jpg

Also is it recommended to connect the earth wire direct to the keg/vessel or leave it loose?

Definitely connect it to your vessel bloke. That may be the difference between you being electrocuted or not.............

Latest posts

Back