Heated Digital Stirplates

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
same same but slightly different.

for me..

depends on the frozen sample and the strength of the Glycerine mix its in, if it was in one of the %50 mix then I'll do a smaller (500ml) 1.025 starter just to expel the glycerine, which takes longer.. if it's in one of the %25 mixes, right into a 2000ml 1.040 starter is generally ok unless over 12 months old then see first option again...

Temperature wise, its settled on about 24'c for most of my ale yeasts.. Im yet to spin up a lager yeast but I'd probably also go at about the 18'c

The main reason for spinning at ferment temps is (AIUI) is if you are pitching the whole starter, if youre decanting (as I do) then it shouldnt really make much difference...

agree that the Yeast book should probably come out again as train reading material.

Thanks guys. Just had my first dead yeast batch. New one deliver 2 hours ago which was only made 2 weeks ago! Already jumping out of its skin at 22℃

Good news, your shipment has been delivered...... 2 days in the mail, nice.

you will not be displeased.. my next starter just finished in 24hrs and was booming thanks to the YF.. in hail conditions..

rockstar shit man,

seriously...

Oh you evil ******* yob..... i flew back from melb last night it was a balmy 10 and in sunny sydney its a wind chill assisted 4 where i am. I need it now.....sob cant wait......

yeah well its about ******* 3 now man.. there was inch thick hail this arvo in the hood..

I love melbs for its extreme take on life :lol:

Just went to order one finally - currently pre-order only shipping end of July :(

Website says only avail per-order is that right?

Has anyone used these to spin up a 4L starter in a 5L flask? Bonus points from the missus if I can make a starter in the freezing Melb shed and not the kitchen.

A.B. said:
Website says only avail per-order is that right?
Yes (very sorry). They just ran out the other day and I really hate to keep you guys waiting.

We're waiting on some new heater PCBs that I ordered a few weeks ago. Brooke has set an ETA of late July on the website and that's our worst case scenario but I'm optimistic they'll be here in a week or two. We underestimated our ETA on the digital stir plates recently hence why we're playing it safe with these Yeast Forges. I'll post here as soon as they're in stock.

husky said:
Has anyone used these to spin up a 4L starter in a 5L flask? Bonus points from the missus if I can make a starter in the freezing Melb shed and not the kitchen.
Yep. I'm growing a 5L starter at the moment but the Yeast forge doesn't generate much heat so it's a struggle to heat a large starter in this recent weather. E.g. I've set my Yeast Forge to 22C but with the large flask it's currently sitting at a bit over 20C. My starter is still going great guns (WLP007), but I've decided to add a ghetto jacket now (pictured) to help out while it finishes off.
5l starter temp - 1.jpg5l starter 2 - 1.jpg
Next time I make a 5L starter in this kind of weather I'll just add the ghetto jacket from the beginning. I'll also look into boosting the heating power a little in future versions too because we've got a lot of safety measures built in to the design and some leeway with the power adapters.

Thanks for the info Michael, I guess I'll have to be patient :)

Michael Burton said:
Yes (very sorry). They just ran out the other day and I really hate to keep you guys waiting.
I'm guessing Clever Brewing cleared you out of current stocks? :ph34r:

They're a brilliant piece of kit at this time of year..

MartinOC said:
I'm guessing Clever Brewing cleared you out of current stocks? :ph34r:

They're a brilliant piece of kit at this time of year..
They sure did! As you can imagine we're very happy to have Peter and his team on board.

20C is plenty for a starter. When I buy one of these I'll likely build it a little box out of insulated panels from the green shed, or just get a scrap of neoprene and wrap it around the flask. Still dreamin' though.

Hey Michael, get some neoprene cones made that will fit over plate and 5L flask and you have enclosures for sale .

Ha what luck, first time doing starter == coldest night I can remember of the year. So seems ace, felt warm to the touch and even a touch of condensation on the inside of the flask compared to the chilled air in the house.

While I'm waiting for mine I am getting organised. On flasks is their any downside to just buying a big 5litre one. Seems to allow maximum flexibility and doesn't cost much more?

You don't get a great vortex for smaller volumes, get a 500ml, 2Lt, 3Lt and a 5000 for best results.

Also, with small volumes in a big flask it'll likely be a pita to attach the probe.

durham70 said:
Thanks Yob
Ive 2 of each.. if you can, get wide mouth flasks, worth the few extra bucks but so easy to add DME to, narrow mouth flasks should be banned...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back