Heated Digital Stirplates

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One characteristic about flasks is that their costs seem to go up exponentially with size. If you can get the 5L, the 3L or 2L will be a fraction of the price so you might want to pick them up at the same time. As for the 500ml and 1L flasks, they're relatively cheap so if you're stepping up starters they're totally worth the investment IMO.

Michael Burton said:
One characteristic about flasks is that their costs seem to go up exponentially with size. If you can get the 5L, the 3L or 2L will be a fraction of the price so you might want to pick them up at the same time. As for the 500ml and 1L flasks, they're relatively cheap so if you're stepping up starters they're totally worth the investment IMO.
totally agree.. example..

I dont own a 5L flask, just finished a 500 > 2000ml starter, I left to settle and then decanted, saved 4/5 of the slurry and pitched another 2000ml starter on the backs of the 1/5 remainder.. in 6-8 hours I had another jumping starter..

its not the size of the flask, its the timing of the starters, I cube so time is my friend and I can pitch when I want, I wanted to pitch it all today, realized the cube was ice cold, Ive now put the starter and the cube in the ferment fridge and can pitch the slurry and the active starter tmoz when the temps have balanced... without the 5lt volume to contend with.

equipment and process.. to a degree our process is confined by our equipment but end result need not be so..

and also.. the YF is amazing this far south at this time of year Michael, a noticeable difference in starter performance over previous years... thank you.

:super:

Any updates on when YF will be back in stock and ready to ship?

Will you be able to offer a bundle deal that has a YF + Flask(s)?

Yob said:
equipment and process.. to a degree our process is confined by our equipment but end result need not be so..

and also.. the YF is amazing this far south at this time of year Michael, a noticeable difference in starter performance over previous years... thank you.
Thanks Yob,

Good point about process depending on your equipment. For me, I can only cool and decant a 3 or 5L starter if my fermenting fridge is free. SWMBO won't like it if I shuffle the fridge shelves around to fit in a giant flask :)

Bigger is more convenient when you're boiling starter wort, but can be a pain when it comes to chilling.

peteru said:
Any updates on when YF will be back in stock and ready to ship?

Will you be able to offer a bundle deal that has a YF + Flask(s)?
Yes, an update! The boards arrived today :D . If all goes to plan we will be assembling tomorrow, then testing and shipping on Thursday (we need a night in the middle to allow for adhesive to dry). It's gonna be a fun day of construction so I'll try to post some pics!

EDIT: Oh and regarding flasks. We're not currently stocking them because we had regular issues with breakages in postage. I'd love to come up with some sweet product packaging solution like by adding moulded foam so they ship safely, but we're still not at the volumes where this will be economical. Also there's the matter that no one size fits all with glassware so we'd have to cater for many sizes. We've looked into couriers to replace Auspost, but it's kind of one or the other and I'd feel bad about forwarding the increased costs onto our customers (including those that don't buy glassware). We're open to lateral thinking solutions if you've got any!

Kangaroo? Just tuck 'em in the pouch.

I'll do some better thinking than that. The Schott-Durans I got from DHB are the bomb. I actually dropped one a meter onto concrete by accident and it bounced back up to my hand. I hope you find a way to carry them again. Pricey, but worth it, IMHO.

Michael Burton said:
Thanks Yob,

Good point about process depending on your equipment. For me, I can only cool and decant a 3 or 5L starter if my fermenting fridge is free. SWMBO won't like it if I shuffle the fridge shelves around to fit in a giant flask :)

Bigger is more convenient when you're boiling starter wort, but can be a pain when it comes to chilling.

Yes, an update! The boards arrived today :D . If all goes to plan we will be assembling tomorrow, then testing and shipping on Thursday (we need a night in the middle to allow for adhesive to dry). It's gonna be a fun day of construction so I'll try to post some pics!

EDIT: Oh and regarding flasks. We're not currently stocking them because we had regular issues with breakages in postage. I'd love to come up with some sweet product packaging solution like by adding moulded foam so they ship safely, but we're still not at the volumes where this will be economical. Also there's the matter that no one size fits all with glassware so we'd have to cater for many sizes. We've looked into couriers to replace Auspost, but it's kind of one or the other and I'd feel bad about forwarding the increased costs onto our customers (including those that don't buy glassware). We're open to lateral thinking solutions if you've got any!
Bean bag beans mate. Vary the box size.

Ive shipped glassware all over the country using e-go couriers and didn't lose a glass. Cheaper than Aus Post too..

Michael Burton said:
Thanks Yob,

Bean bag beans mate. Vary the box size.

Ive shipped glassware all over the country using e-go couriers and didn't lose a glass. Cheaper than Aus Post too..

I'll second e-go for fragile shipments. If you insure they take care of things very well.

I couldn't wait and ordered from clever brewing...now just waiting for their couriers StarTrack to find it in their warehouse :(

Oops double phone post sorry

A picture as promised. 10 units in assembly today, still on track to post this afternoon.
Yeast Forge Controllers - 1.jpg

Was there an option to add additional stirbars previously, but it's gone now? Or am I getting confused?

Looks like I am going to start doing starters. Order placed.

Well, I ordered a Yeast Forge anyway, even though I could not find an option to get an additional stir bar. The product page was showing two stir bars as a product, twice, while browsing anonymously. However, once I registered an account an logged in, the product page no longer displayed stir bars as a product I could order. No check box on the Yeast Forge product page to add an extra stir bar either.

Fingers crossed, Michael and Brooke will be able to get my order out later today and I can get brewing over the weekend. There's an urgent need for a black IPA. ;-)

I'll get Brooke to look into it ASAP (she's our web geek).

It could be caused by the Pre-Order shenanigans or the new feature Brooke added to select the adapter style by the country you're from.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Thanks. Got an email from Brooke and I'm all sorted with the order going out today. Great job guys!

26hrs from pre order to delivered in my hands. Might grab some DME for a play tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back