Heated Digital Stirplates

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another tip for fellow Yeast Forge users. I find that the base of the unit tends to slide around on most surfaces. I had one of those non-slip mats that are often used to line kitchen drawers. About the size of a large coaster. It fits perfectly under the Yeast Forge and makes it nice and solid. The mat is perforated and a couple of mm thick, so as a bonus, any spills will tend to drain away and the risk of liquid seeping into the enclosure joints is minimised even further.

Might have to do something like that too, cheers for the tip. Even without volcanic starters, it'll be easier to work with it not sliding around the bench.

The cleanup in this case was relatively easy though, the yeast/wort whatever that ended up on the bench and whatnot ended up completely drying up and I just swept it up into a dustpan.

Been looking at the yeast forge for a little while now and reading through this thread I'm convinced. Any idea when the next batch will be available? Can't wait!

Hey Burt,

At this stage we're looking at 5-6 weeks for production. Sorry for the delays, we're updating the design so it's been held up a bit.

Michael,

Thanks for the update. I've signed up to your website so that I get a notification when they're ready. I'll be sure to grab one as soon as they are available. Thanks for all of your hard work on this project and what appears to be impeccable service.

Cheers mate!

Thanks for the update. I've been recommending the YeastForge to people but a few came back saying that even though they'd love one, they can't get it. Hopefully you can satisfy the demand soon.

Michael Burton said:
we're updating the design so it's been held up a bit.
What's changed? Do you need a beta tester? :D

My YeastForge has been spinning since Christmas. Maybe 10 days down time all up. Stepping up all sorts of exciting yeasts from various bottles consumed over the Christmas/New Year period. Having the YeastForge has opened up a whole new world of yeasts.

peteru said:
What's changed? Do you need a beta tester? :D
1. We're moving away from fans to DC motors. The fans were awesome for reliability and performance but hard to assemble correctly and the DC motors will enable faster control loops and cool features based on monitoring changes in current draw. :ph34r:
2. We're going Arduino and open source. It's meant to be an off-the-shelf product but I want tinkerers like yourself to be able to play with it.
3. We're adding a numeric display and a dedicated "temperature set" button so it's more intuitive to operate.
4. Adding a 6P6C socket for the probe instead of the ugly grommet.
5. The new membrane is a little larger with bigger buttons.
6. This is the tricky one - We're going to trial assembly and testing at a local disability employment centre - An important step in us growing as a company and also supporting the local community.

New membrane switches should be ordered today, it's so exciting now that things are on the move. :super:

EDIT: As for testing... I'll probably shoot you a PM in a few weeks. :)

Oooh. Exciting! I love to see this kind of startup growth coupled with product development. Well done to you and Brooke.

Michael Burton said:
1. We're moving away from fans to DC motors. The fans were awesome for reliability and performance but hard to assemble correctly and the DC motors will enable faster control loops and cool features based on monitoring changes in current draw. :ph34r:
Nice work. I think I can read between the lines here. A stir plate that can detect when the stir bar has been thrown and recover. That extra level of dependability would really put you head and shoulders above anything else on the market.

Michael I've just signed up on your site I'm also interested on a force stir plate hoping to get notification of when I can purchase. Seems like a lot of interest in your product
Any chance of a discount coupon? Keep up the great work on a fantastic product Cheers

So Michael will you be selling the new version when you have the in stock?? When do you think they will be available?

peteru said:
I think I can read between the lines here. A stir plate that can detect when the stir bar has been thrown and recover.
Yes. Ideally the bar should never throw, but with stir bars becoming demagnetised or users pushing the envelope with different glass vessels the problem does pop up from time to time. We ran tests with the DC fans in the past but because of their asymmetry it was less than trivial to implement.

koolkuna said:
Michael I've just signed up on your site I'm also interested on a force stir plate hoping to get notification of when I can purchase. Seems like a lot of interest in your product
Any chance of a discount coupon? Keep up the great work on a fantastic product Cheers
Thanks, I received your registration for notifications. I want to help early adopters with some kind of benefit, be it monetary or otherwise. Still finalising quotes for some of the new parts so it's early days at the moment.

koolkuna said:
So Michael will you be selling the new version when you have the in stock?? When do you think they will be available?
I'm sticking with 5-6 weeks for the ETA. We'll put them on our website but also want to work more with our retailers going forwards. That way our customers can buy them along with their ingredients and brewing gear and it works out better with the postage that way.

Thanks Michael I'll keep an eye on your website Also hoping that you will notify me so I can place an order

Yep just registered also , like to support Australian products that will improve my beer :beerbang:

So Michael the shipment we are all waiting for will they be the new version as posted in the previous post with DC motor etc?

Thanks guys, your support is what keeps us innovating.

koolkuna said:
So Michael the shipment we are all waiting for will they be the new version as posted in the previous post with DC motor etc?
Yes, they'll be the new version, hence the delays. It'll be worth it in the end!

Can't wait. Also keen to support local businesses putting in the hard yards for our brewing benefit. Keen up the great work mate.

Any updates Michael? Very keen on buying a stirplate, and want my first to be my last

It's taking time but things are certainly on the move!

1. Our new and improved custom power adapters are in production and will be better than ever. Basically, we absolutely loved the modern compact adapters that went into the latest batch of digital stirplates and we've worked with the manufacturer to squeeze more oomph out of them so they can run the heater on the yeast forge as well. They look sexy, they're a cut above in quality and they're designed to our spec!

Adapters.png

2. We've signed off on the production of the new enclosures. Quite a few things have changed since the last yeast forge so they're putting together samples and I'll post pics once they arrive.

3. We've negotiated a deal with an LED factory to supply our BLUE displays. They're super legible and easy to read from a distance compared with the previous bar graph of LEDs with their small text. Samples have arrived and are going into the prototype shortly.

LED Displays - 1.jpg

Sorry it's dragging on a bit. Some of these deals took a bit of to-ing and fro-ing to finalise, but it's all coming together gradually and it's going to be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back