Heads Up For Those Who Follow James Squires Limited Releases...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'Day Will. Are all the Vintage Cellars as connected as you? I'm in the wrong state (SA ... mental state is another issue) to visit, but we have a bunch of Vintage Cellars here too. I'm involved in with a Uni beer club that looks for importers (formerly sponsored by JS/MS), and we are always keen on new beers.

P.S. - that White Shield IPA is quite nice indeed.

Back on topic - did anyone go to the event in Adelaide (Holdfast)?

I ended up going, good value for money at $10.

They started with the Sundowner (had about 3 stubbies) not too bad for an all malt lager but for the life of me can't believe they only bittered it to 18-20IBU with Galaxy, then a schooner of Golden Ale (very average beer IMHO).
Followed that with a couple of JS Pils and then some Amber Ale. The food was outstanding, tempura battered prawns and chargrilled french lamb cutlets plus wedges as well.

C&B
TDA

Tried a couple over the weekend... Nice without being spectacular...

but I'm more of an Ale person and find it hard to get excited over a lager...

Got a carton from Norwood bottlo- not many there, only just arrived on the pallet and they only had 8 cartons- and it's a pretty big bottlo!

Just got an e-mail about this from the brewery.

Talk about marketing rhetoric... have a read of the online version and decide for yourself:
http://node1.int.trclient.com/3720/online/18108495-3.html

If I recall correctly, a sundowner is something to drink when the sun goes down and that time is not usually in the heat of the day, as their blurb suggests.

If the brew is as pedestrian as the 'recipes' they tout to go with it, I'm just going to vote with my dollars. The recipes are really ordinary bistro food from ten years ago in my opinion.

The whole thing smells like twaddle to me but you're welcome to correct me if I'm wrong.

/rant

Cheers - Time for a homebrew as the sun is going down (albeit at 19:52) - Fermented.

who cares about marketing (they will always spin the rope imo)...go try one and make up your own descision...

stopped by at old mate dan's before so i had to grab one (along with a knappstein!)...not much hop aroma although more than i was expecting. light, refreshing, hops come through ok for me for what the beer is (hardly a 30+ ibu ale is it?) and i can see this getting smashed by the swill kid's on hot day's - when the suns going down or not.

Of the people here who have bagged it, how many have actually bought a bottle? I quite like it personally, it's a great session beer.

<snip> so i had to grab one (along with a knappstein!) </snip>
+1 for knappstein - lovely! Point of interest (and I may be wrong) but I heard that Tony Jones (mentioned at the start of this thread) was a driving force for that particular beer.

Of the people here who have bagged it, how many have actually bought a bottle? I quite like it personally, it's a great session beer.
+1

I also tried (thanks to peas_and_corn) this and was pleasantly surprised. The label says "subtle" which probably isn't the word I'd have used (it's not OTT, but it's not exactly subtle). I'm not sure that it's up to the quality of some of the limited releases, but that said - win some, lose some. Certainly an improvement over megaswill and pretty nice for a session beer (price aside).

Please note that I haven't bagged the beer, just (imho) the disrespectful marketing.

After what Peas said, I took that as a challenge so I had the missus grab half a dozen of these on the way home last evening. Had a few while I was working through the night and a couple just now with lunch. Can't say it's bad, can't say it's special and certainly can't say I would be bothered to seek it out again. An amusing change.

Cheers - Fermented.

i just had one. i quite enjoyed it. its not amazing and would still drink golden ale over it but its quite a nice beer for those warmer summer days.

Had one of these the other day. Wasn't bad, bit of malt character and subtle hops. Nothing in comparison to some of the other Aussie micro lagers (Murrays, Knappstein, Wicked Elf, etc) that are widely available these days, but i'd probably drink it if it were on tap and nothing else interesting was.

i had a couple with dinner tonight and must say i found it most enjoyable.

I had a single bottle last week, well you have to try. I was quite impressed, went down well. Wouldn't rush out and buy a case, but can't complain.

I know this is an old thread, but...

I tried a single bottle of the Sundown Lager (in a glass) the other day and I wasn't at all impressed. To me it tasted like VB out of the tap at the pub, and one that hadn't cleaned the beer lines in a while. Is this what they were aiming for, or had Dan's done horrible things to my bottle before putting it on the shelf? It was probably the closest thing in a bottle to tasting like a mainstream beer straight out of the tap that I've ever tried (which I imagine would go down well with a lot of people), but it wasn't anything like what I expected.

Had a sixer the other night and well i drank it because i had payed for it but wont be going back there.
does that mean i may as well give up on the amber and the pilsener as well...mind you can normally get the original pils for cheaper than the JS clone

Latest posts

Back