Question From A Newbie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flippo

Reaction score
G'day all

Just got into the wonderful world of homebrewing and have my second brew in the fermenter as we speak. I'd like to ask someones advice on something if I could?

I'm trying to make a James Squire Amber style of beer, recipe as follows

1 can of Muntons blond beer
1.5 kg can of Coopers amber malt
5gm Golden Cluster hops
S-04 Safale yeast
OG was 1044
Temp's been in the higher end of the recommended 15-24 degrees scale for the whole time, I'd say 22 sometimes around 24

I put it down close to 2 weeks ago and it stopped bubbling fairly early, after about 4 days, and hadn't let out a peep since, to which I didn't get too concerened about, I'll just see how it goes I thought. Anyway, Friday night I thought I might take a reading and compare it with one on Sat night with a view to bottling on Sunday. I lift the fermenter off the floor to the bench, very gently so as not to disturb it too much and bugger me it started bubbling again. There was definate yeast activity in the test tube as well and I shook it with my hand over the end and gas was produced.

My question is, is this new bubbling normal? It's been bubbling about once or twice a minute since. Have I disturbed a stuck fermentation or something. Basically I'm just after some advice from someone who knows a little more than me.

I do apologise if there is any info that I have left out or if I have asked a question that I could have found elsewhere, I have done a search and read up on yeasts and the like but I couldn't find anything that answers this question exactly.

Thanking you in advance for all responses that are recieved

Happy brewing

Sometimes when you disturb the beer some of the CO2 likes to come out of solution, not something to worry about.

Check your SG readings and make a decision from there, the final gravity of that batch with those ingredients would be about 1015-1020.

Would I be correct in saying that if the SG reading stayed at the same for say 3 or 4 dayz after bubbling stops then its safe to bottle.

Use your sg reading as a guide to whether the brew has finished fermenting or not. Airlocks are not reliable.

If the sg has been stable for 3 days, it is ready (unless the yeast has died due to heat or shutdown due to cold)

Leaving the brew in the fermenter for another 5 days or so will be beneficial.

The airlock may not work at all due to an airleak, or may continue to slowly bubble for months due to carbon dioxide slowly coming out of solution.

The hydrometer is the best tool for checking the sg.

Latest posts

Back