James Squire Strong Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobW

The Little Abbotsford Craftbrewery
Reaction score
I'm not sure how good a deal this is because I don't usually buy it, but James Squire have their Strong Ale available through Kemeny's for $50 a case plus delivery for Malt Shovel Club members only. There are only 1000 cases.
The ordwer form is here: http://www.kemenys.com.au/order%20form.pdf
I doubt Kemeny's will care if you're a member or not.

Here's the blurb:

JAMES SQUIRE AUSTRALIAN STRONG ALE
Now is your chance to enjoy English style strong ale of such quality not normally available in Australia. My personal descriptors include rich creamy head, deep amber colour, slight toffee/vanilla characters from the toasted malts and ending with a well-integrated alcoholic finish from the higher 6.8% alcohol. We brewed this batch in June, fermented it with Fullers Brewery ESB yeast and released it as our flavoursome winter warmer for refreshment during cooler weather. After five months bottle aging, the integration of alcohol, fruity ale esters and biscuity malt characters has created an ale complexity certain to satisfy the most discerning beer connoisseur. It just seems to get better with age; maybe get some for the beer cellar. Some enthusiasts have reported back to me that the 2004 release of this strong age continues to age well with the development of whiskey notes. It is perfect to be enjoyed poured into a goblet glass along side some sharp cheddar cheese or a rich meat dish.

With only a thousand cases available and a need to clear the warehouse for our new Golden Ale, we are offering this as a special deal to our Malt Shovel Beer Club members. Get in quickly or you will miss out. It is available only through Kemeny's mail order warehouse distribution.

This offer is exclusive to the Malt Shovel Beer Club members only. If you would like to order some James Squire Australian Strong Ale for Christmas ($50.00 per case plus freight), please click here, print out the form, fill it in and send it off and presto... your beer will arrive!

...obviously it didn't sell to well this year and they're trying to offload.
Liquor on parade(NSW) has it for about $58 a case I think.

mikem108 said:
...obviously it didn't sell to well this year and they're trying to offload.
Liquor on parade(NSW) has it for about $58 a case I think.
[post="96635"][/post]​

Roughly ditto for Dan Murphy's too. They were selling it for about $2 per bottle and somewhere in the 50s for a slab. Still don't think it was as good as last year's maybe it's a consumer backlash? :unsure:

Warren -

I didn't try last years but I can't say I'm impressed with this years. Plenty of beer I'd buy instead of this at around that price. Suppose it's good for getting pissed if that's what you want given its 6.8%.....

i tried it when it first came out and it wasnt even available to the public. My dad works for a Lion Nathon Megaswill co. and got a couple of 6packs.

I do remember it as being full bodied, strong caramel and toffee with a sweet but bitter edge. It was also slightly hazy. that was a fair few years back now.

I bought a 6 pack at dan murpheys 3 months ago and was disapointed. It had a lighter body, less flavour and didnt taste as nice.

would rather spent the $50 something on something better

cheers

A place near me has this in stock (at least thats what he just said over the phone) and I need a case of beer for tonight.

I like very malty, very bitter, very malty, very malty beerjust a big beer lover I suppose.

Like the JS IPA but cant stand the cocoa flavour of their Porter.

Based on that, reckon Ill like the Strong? :huh:

PZ.

A place near me has this in stock (at least that's what he just said over the phone) and I need a case of beer for tonight.

I like very malty, very bitter, very malty, very malty beerjust a big beer lover I suppose.

Like the JS IPA but can't stand the "cocoa" flavour of their Porter.

Based on that, reckon I'll like the Strong? :huh:

PZ.

If you like the IPA you'll probably like this, more like the amber ale really just with more toffee (crystal malt) , esters (prob from the yeast) and some alcohol heat chucked in. I wouldn't be able to drink too much of it though, not that you need to a 6.8%. Had a couple on Anzac day and it was quite nice as a warmup drink.

Don't know how it supposedly "ages" with no live yeast in the bottle.

DJR
I think it ages fairly well. We tried a bottle at the BJCP class last month, and it 2 years old (from memory) and it tasted like a great example of the Old Ale style. Plenty of oxidised notes, raisins prunes and caramel. For flavour I wrote "heavily oxodised malt flavour, prominent dark fruit flavour, toffee, caramel, nuttiness, smooth alcohol flavour, extremely complex". I actually marked it as 47/50 for the style. Blind tasting mind you. I think in a beer like that, oxidation is a good (ish) thing. Worth sticking a 6 pack in the cupboard, and leaving it for a year or so, at least to see how it goes anyway.
All the best
Trent

I bought some this arvo.

Didn't get a full case, but purchased a "split case" (12 IPA and 12 Strong).

DJR, you are right, it does taste very much like the Amber, but with a little more of almost everything, maybe not hopped enough for my liking though.

The ones I got have a Best Before date of 27/4/06...does this mean they are the current batch or the previous?

Yeah, not a bad beer but I still rank the IPA as best JS beer I've tried to date (haven't tried the Rum Rebellion Porter, but I don't really go for their standard Porter anyway).

My few cents :)

PZ.

Latest posts

Back