Heads Up Big W Stockpots $12

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haha good one.........but you shouldn`t be drinking that stuff :rolleyes:
I might look you up next time we`re over there for a drink, always found the pub on the bridge side did good food. {but that was their only redeeming feature}

stagga.

....Im looking to a 'get-out' of the extract malt cans.....

Jase,

Before you even get to brewing in a bag try substituting dried malt extract for your can of goo. Will taste much better.

Jez

sorry what did you say? all i can hear is wet fart noises
Says the man that carries an alleigance to another members existence in his post signatures. Bravo, ya (mark) barstard :D

Smollocks, your post #30 is very informative, and I give you a hundred heartfelt thank you's. If there's no need for the 'bling' when approaching AG brewing, and no discernable end-result factors in efficiency, then I should well be looking into BIAB. And, as Katie stated, I live in a cave, so the limited space reality is probably not conducive towards "brewhaus" status.... (ok, I should add that I'm in a 3 bedroom apartment, each room is huge,the kitchen is the size of a small suburb, the lounge room is as big as a whole inner-city apartment, I have a free carport area that's covered, and the shared space between our dwelling community of four residences includes me, a neighbour that's an avid brewer, another that's an older hippie who's cool with 'from scratch' concepts, and a family of arsehole renters above. So, it's generally going to be cool if I ever wanted to cook up some beer in the open areas. FFS my neighbour came over last night to give back not only the grain he borrowed from me (to try 'smoking' it in the Webber for a rauchbier) but another full back of crystal malt, as a kind gesture. I will probably speak to him and go into a dual-guy brew for BIAB. My missuz is quite the maestro with unusual requests for fabric production too, so I might get her to whip up a BIAb bag (she's also passionate about the great beers that this household is producing!)

Isnip/ 'll also add in a bit /snip

snip/ 3-vessel has more bling - you end up with something that you can call 'a brewery' /snip

I don't care much for the 'look' of things, but focus on 'functionality. You could give me a $7,000 guitar to play, but there's every chance that I would get a better voice out of a pawn-shop axe if it was set up by the right technician.

Jase, shoot me a PM if you need some advice putting some taps on the Gatorade cooler. It really needs to be done to be used effectively and was quite cheap with everything coming from Bunnings. On the other side of the tap is a simple braided hose which hasn't had a stuck sparge yet (touch wood) :)
Cheers mate, I don't have a lot of equipment, nor a shed, nor a car to drive around for that matter. But I might just take you up on your offer of assistance sometime soon. I'm in Nth Strathfield area, where are you ?
Jase,

Before you even get to brewing in a bag try substituting dried malt extract for your can of goo. Will taste much better.

Jez

Really ? I did one brew with mostly-LDME and wasn't a huge fan of it. ALthough the missuz loves it... its called the Nigerian Ale. Butters actually helped me a lot with that one, I hit a bad point in my pre-pitching stage, and he PM'd me his phone number, and saved the mission. I have to say, everyone who's tried it thinks it's the bomb.

That reminds me, I need o send one to the B-Boy (there's only three left) and I think I promised a signature on the label from a football legend.... :huh: Butters, can you confirm this promise ?

Cheers mate, I don't have a lot of equipment, nor a shed, nor a car to drive around for that matter. But I might just take you up on your offer of assistance sometime soon. I'm in Nth Strathfield area, where are you ?

10 minutes down the road mate :) let me know when ur ready....

Yay :D .
I went to Big W today and at first was a little dissapointed as the 19L stock pots were advertised as $20,and 7.6L were $12. But after going through the self-service check out I realised we only paid $12 for the 19L, Stoked, Thanks for the heads up Bribie.

I just bought the last 19L pot from the Big W at marion, adelaide...$12 you can't go wrong.

Carried it around to some other shops and all the sales assistant girls all asked what I needed it for...couldn't be stuffed explaining decoction mashing, so just said beer. 'WOW your going to ferment in that?' - 'Ahhh, no, just boil some grain'.

For $12 great value for money...and one step closer to decoctions

Thread cleaned up, please follow the forum rules. Keep the threads on topic and avoid bad taste posts.

Sorry POL too many Bribie Bitters ;)
On topic, how are you all finding the stock situations in the various BigW stores? I wonder if they do rainchecks on these as I hate bait advertising, although BigW are usually fairly reliable in this regard.

Sorry POL too many Bribie Bitters ;)
On topic, how are you all finding the stock situations in the various BigW stores? I wonder if they do rainchecks on these as I hate bait advertising, although BigW are usually fairly reliable in this regard.

Picked one up this morning at Beenleigh BigW no problems. Had about 4 more in stock.

(tehehe I think we all had a hand in that one Mr Bribie!)

Carried it around to some other shops and all the sales assistant girls all asked what I needed it for...couldn't be stuffed explaining decoction mashing, so just said beer. 'WOW your going to ferment in that?' - 'Ahhh, no, just boil some grain'.

Did they then say something along the lines of "Boiling grain? Won't that extract tannins and make your wort and resulting beer astringent?" :lol: Then you had to explain decoction and they were interested.. next thing you know your married to her...

Bought one of these today. Handles do look flimsy - could be dangerous if carrying boiling stuff and one breaks off. Would be better bolted or at least riveted.

I saw these pots today...pretty cheap even when they aren't on special.

One question though, they seemed to have a really thin base on them. Would that cause any problems for brewing extracts?

You'll be fine BS. Only when you shove a big nasty Nasa/Rambo and alikes will ya run into trouble.

Cheers

Chappo

On a electric element they will buckle and dance-just a word of warning. Gas is okay.

Thin metal cost cheap now, cost more in fuel in the long run. Go to a restaurant or anyone with a humomgous utility bill to pay and see what they use to cook with. If cheap thin metal pots were it then you'd see them exclusively. Almost the majority will be thick walled aluminium cooking vessels. And any that are
stainless will have thick walls and thicker bottoms with aluminium cores.

That said if your a cheap ******* or going AG you were held back unless you got a cheap pot go for it. Then save up after a that AG goodness has you hooked and get yourself a big aluminium pot from a restauarant supply warehouse or if you got the bling in the wallet a big S/S-Aluminium bottom pot.

I think bribies pushing it at 40 litres, im definately way pushing it at 36 S/S-Aluminium. im soon going to look at a 100-120 litre Alumimium restaurant stock pot. They are rather cheap compared to some prices you see consumer shops trying to sell cheap thin metal cooking pots for :D Spend your savings on a good burner setup as that size is definatley going to need somethiny very ballsy to heat it.

Just for comparison of price and quality, a 100 litre thick aluminium restaurant stock pot will be about $140 from allquip or if you want to keep it under $100 60 litres restaurant pot.

A cheap ass 40 litre thin walled crap stockpot from Rays outdoors will cost you close to $130.

Consumers get ripped big time

Apart from heat conductivity, the thickness is also useful when you want to start modifying it with bulkheads and whatever else.

And always go bigger if you think you will use it. I got a 100L aluminium from Allquip and now I have green eyes for a 120L.

ED: used big W one the other day too... difference in the order of magnitude.

You know they do go up to 240 litres :D

never ends!

Latest posts

Back