Heads Up Big W Stockpots $12

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use my 15L cheapo pot to transport my grain from the garage to the kitchen and then I use it to dump the bag into when I lift it.

Ive not been keeping track, but I know your'e stepping up your process these days.. are you doing BIAB or all-grain ?

The Pilot Plant (as detailed in a blog somewhere). I had one into which I installed a kettle element along with a tap and some other BS and it was perfect for recipe formulation or for beers that I wanted to make but did not want to possess too much of.

Of course, you have to like brewing... :p

Have you got a link for this as I don't really understand what you mean?

Ive not been keeping track, but I know your'e stepping up your process these days.. are you doing BIAB or all-grain ?

Biab is all grain... probably a great option for you as you could fit it all in your'e cave... :p

Jase, have a read of this thread.

And as Katie said, BIAB is AG, just with less of an equipment demand than traditional 3 vessel setups.

The last two comments are going to open up a can of worms, no ? :rolleyes:

Or am I wrong ? Why do all-grain (true all-grain) processes take favour then, if they are more cumbersome & more expensive? I've not looked inito it, because the need has not arisen, but my 'assumption' would be that extracting the malts in a BIAB set-up would be less efficient ?

Min you, grain is so cheap, I can see the virtue in doing it low-cost.

The last two comments are going to open up a can of worms, no ? :rolleyes:

No, we've become quite accustomed to you speaking from your arse on topics you have little to no knowledge about...

No, we've become quite accustomed to you speaking from your arse on topics you have little to no knowledge about...

Um, dude, I lay no claim to speaking of things I know nothing of, and if it seems that it's been interpereted as such, then I with quite openly clarify my lack of expertise.

Rad, with my wife's 5% ALH woolworths group discount card i can purchase this for $11.40. B)

Extracts and partials here i come............

Bowie

Um, dude, I lay no claim to speaking of things I know nothing of, and if it seems that it's been interpereted as such, then I with quite openly clarify my lack of expertise.

sorry what did you say? all i can hear is wet fart noises

Or am I wrong ? Why do all-grain (true all-grain) processes take favour then, if they are more cumbersome & more expensive? I've not looked inito it, because the need has not arisen, but my 'assumption' would be that extracting the malts in a BIAB set-up would be less efficient ?

No one seems to be giving a serious answer so I'll give it a go..

Traditional AG processes (i.e. 3 vessel systems) seem to take favour because they are well established, are based on some sort of science or convention, and have proven results. There is also the appeal of tinkering with pumps, transfer hoses and all the other equipment as an end in itself.

Some people say that BIAB should be less efficient, but results don't seem to bear that out. In fact, on this forum BIAB efficiency and BIAB beers have been impressive.

They are just two different approaches to all grain brewing, the main advantage of BIAB being that it requires much less investment in equipment, time, knowledge and physical space around your home. People have differing opinions on which is better, but they are both valid and they both produce quality beer.

Anecdotally.. when I started reading about homebrewing this year, I saw photos of the 3 vessel systems and thought I'd never be willing to invest that much time and money and would probably stay with kits for a long time to come. Two months later I did my first BIAB in a Big W pot for a total equipment cost of $50. It makes things a lot easier for the beginner.

I've never had problems with the handles and I often carry it between rooms with 15L of wort in it.

I'll be careful in future but I don't think it's accurate to paint the picture that these handles just fall off straight away. The quality of the pot is pretty good in my opinion.
AGREE-I`ve been using said pot for yonks, all good.
Not to say it will be next time, don`t buy one that was made on a Monday :D

stagga.

$12 for 20l. you can`t go wrong.

Jase: listen to this and you will be educated (Thirsty boy and another ahb member have just been interviewed on Basic Brewing Radio and give the low down on BIAB)

I'll also add in a bit, though I haven't experienced any BIAB fun myself, I did consider it. It just happened that when I found a suitably sized pot, I found a mashtun and HLT at the same time, so I went the 3-vessel route. Some other considerations include;

-- 3-vessel has more bling - you end up with something that you can call 'a brewery' despite the fact that the exact same processes happen in the BIAB route. Shiny SS and a brewrig all count towards bling, so this is one reason.

-- Lifting the second B in BIAB is a hefty feat - one that has found many solutions, from pulleys to engine winches. It's nonetheless an obstacle that is overcome by letting gravity do the work for you in a 3-vessel system.

-- Extra sparge water for BIAB must be heated elsewhere, otherwise you are just using sweet liquor to sparge. I'm not sure of the exact details here, and I assume people use a kitchen kettle or similar, but if you need to heat any water elsewhere you have a 2-vessel system, even if the second vessel is a kettle. My 3-vessel system was chosen because I can heat all the water I need for a single batch at once (50L HLT).

-- Efficiency has been brought up as a possible flaw, but I can't see how the grains would be rinsed less if done properly.

I hope that adds to the discussion. It's nothing definitive, but it's my perspective. I reckon 'go with what suits you' is a good path to take.

Darling, your deliberate baiting will only get me into more strife. I can see your wicked plan :p

Actually this was just a random quick question which was quite topical on the nature of the OP.

That's right. Chappo understands me like you never will, Katie. Anyway, both of you go stand in the corner, this thread is veering precariously towards off-topic territory.

Everyone else, cheers for the replies. Im looking to a 'get-out' of the extract malt cans, and this sort of pot, along with my water-barrel, could be a good step. I notice in Paddo's set up that he's changed the tap on his gatorade barrel, that makes sense. However I'll keep my further technical queries for another sub-forum.

*sigh* back on track. Good to note that the handles on these cheapies are not up to scratch. But if you are simply paling the water out, and into a mash tun, then for $12, a broken handle isnt the end of the world. You get what you pay for I suppose.....

Whilst trying to negotiate my way through all the off topic crap in around this thread....

Jase, shoot me a PM if you need some advice putting some taps on the Gatorade cooler. It really needs to be done to be used effectively and was quite cheap with everything coming from Bunnings. On the other side of the tap is a simple braided hose which hasn't had a stuck sparge yet (touch wood) :)

and the pots are fine as (like anything, or anyone) they don't get abused. I've had countless runs across the backyard with 18L of water in 'em.... (touch wood again)

Jase: listen to this and you will be educated (Thirsty boy and another ahb member have just been interviewed on Basic Brewing Radio and give the low down on BIAB)

I believe the other member is spillsmostofit Bribie ;)

I believe the other member is spillsmostofit Bribie ;)

Aha the tree change man :p

:icon_offtopic:

BIAB misconceptions.

• Hoisting a BIAB bag with a 5 kg grain bill is going to weigh about 12 kilos. Hellooooo I am a sixty year old not very muscular guy but I can easily pump a 15K dumbell in each hand when I can get off my bum and do some exercise. a BIAB bag is a kitten :ph34r: to me. Most people on the forum are thirty forty somethings and I assume they don't have their arms and legs painted on.
  • You don't do a sparge with BIAB because the total liquor goes into the vessel at strike temp at the start.
now back to the stockpot discussion................

Anyone can pick one up :D
How many to a set are you/would you do with a 15?

stagga.

About the same as carrying 2 slabs of Bavaria at chest height from Liquorland out to the car :beerbang:

By that time the bag is down to about 8 k and pleading for a good squeeze.

Back