Having a "crack" at sous-vide

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bribie G said:
Will report with pictures, first off would have to be 2 inch thick Scotch Fillet steaks, Hogs Breath style. :icon_drool2:
Dont set the bar as low as Hogs Breath... you should be able to easily spit out a better result than that

I've got one of those Anova Sous Vide immersion circulators & use a 20lt stock pot for my cooking.
I find steak done at 52deg for 1hr is awesome. It's medium rare & melts in your mouth.
I also found that vacuum sealing the bag is better than just expelling air from a ziplok bag.
Salmon done this way is exceptional & eggs are fantastic as well. Different temp & times than the steak though.

Well my thing of beauty has been brought home from Aldi, I didn't get the vacuum sealer there as I got the nod from a forum member that there's a better one on Ebay more suited to hopification as well as vac sealing for food, so that's on its way.

In the meantime I came across already vac sealed rib steaks at IGA so all ready to go tonight. :icon_drool2:

I also bought a propane blowtorch. Man these are going to be bloody expensive steaks :lol:

ed: Crusty, what's the deal with the eggs, I take it you just pop them in whole? What's the advantage over just boiling?

Bribie G said:
ed: Crusty, what's the deal with the eggs, I take it you just pop them in whole? What's the advantage over just boiling?
much more creamy yolk.. though its a bit more hassle as often the white isnt set enough at the temp you want to cook the yolk at
but when it works, they are great... when they dont, its annoying as you just spent the last hour prepping breakfast ;) (speaking from experience)

Im having a go at this on Sunday, but ill be doing pork cutlets with a bit of fennel salt cracked pepper a quick sear in the bag and then a resear with butter. Thinking a potato and fennel bake sauerkraut and a kolsch to accompany.

The success of a couple of 500gm rumps in a water filled slow cooker in the last couple of weeks with the STC1000 to control the water temp have made me a massive fan of this technique. Just ordered another temp controller so that one of my fermenting fridges doesn't have to suffer so I can sous vide.

I've tried both 54 and 56 for medium rare. Prefer 54 which is closer to rare but more tender.

Or why not put the boot on the other foot and adapt a tool designed for sous vide as a fancy, bluetooth compatable immersion heater?
Do you think a 50L, 90 minute rolling boil would be asking to much of it?

20140506-anova-2.0-release-testing-17.jpg

Bribie G said:
Well my thing of beauty has been brought home from Aldi, I didn't get the vacuum sealer there as I got the nod from a forum member that there's a better one on Ebay more suited to hopification as well as vac sealing for food, so that's on its way.

In the meantime I came across already vac sealed rib steaks at IGA so all ready to go tonight. :icon_drool2:

I also bought a propane blowtorch. Man these are going to be bloody expensive steaks :lol:

Some good egg cooking times & temps
I prefer mine at 62-63degC for 60mins.
They are sensational compared to a regular poached egg. When poaching, the white will always be overcooked even though the yolk is how you want it.
Sous vide gives you an even cook of the white & the yolk. It's a bit of a hassle just to chuck a couple of eggs in there for yourself so I only do mine when someone else wants them as well. Just lower the egg in there as they are, whole. It's better to leave the eggs come to room temp before cooking otherwise those times are a little out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave70 said:
Or why not put the boot on the other foot and adapt a tool designed for sous vide as a fancy, bluetooth compatable immersion heater?

Ive got the original model before this one Dave.
They're really good.

Anova.jpg

Dave70 said:

looks like much better packaging than the cylinder shaped 'box' that the kickstarter version came in.. Most annoying package to try and fit in the cupboard :)

http://sousvideguys.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Contents-1500x1000.jpg

I reckon my $30 slow cooker with a decent controller would be ideal. It has a big heavy ceramic pot so would help maintain temp

The sunbeam aldi sous vide cooker is also a slow cooker, probably with a PID or an Arduino or something wanky like that.

Ceramic slow cookers (bacon bone and split pea soup cooking as we speak) take quite a while to get to equilibrium because the heat has to filter through the thick layer of crockery to get to the food, which could take maybe twenty minutes. That doesn't matter because you are doing shyte for six or eight hours as opposed to an hour or two for sous vide, so applying a pulse of heat from the element, that wraps around the outside of the crockery dish, probably wouldn't make much difference to the contents of the crock for a while.

I think you guys just made my year a whole lot easier! Working in Sydney all year and don't have time or energy to cook up a storm like I usually love to. This thing would mean I could prepare and vacuum pack meals on the weekend, have the water heat up and maintain temp all day and just pop dinner in and relax while it cooks for an hour or so! Also no extra big equipment required that takes up space in the kitchen cupboards just use the pots I already have! Pressing go on Monday I think.

Of course if I want to cook up something like a whole scotch fillet or large set of ribs I could just use the grainfather.

The Wifi model Anova arrived today. Just set it up on the wifi and tested it over 4G, it works! Pretty cool. Hopefully I can set it up so that I start the preheat on the way home from work so it's ready to go when I get there! Or I might look into the ice bath option, where you setup up an ice bath in the morning and as soon as it gets to 4-5 degrees it alerts you and you turn it on remotely!

paulyman said:
Of course if I want to cook up something like a whole scotch fillet or large set of ribs I could just use the grainfather.
At least you can tell SWMBO that the Grainfather is indeed a kitchen item

Latest posts

Back