Having a "crack" at sous-vide

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tip for the Aldi cooker, set to 1c less than your desired temp, it also doubles as a slow cooker.

Pretty much looks exactly the same as the sunbeam one available for $170

What sort of bags do you use for holding the food?

I don't have a vacuuum sealer, but could I (for example) do eggs in snap-lock bags?
Hmmm, I guess oven & freezer bags would be food-safe too.

Anyone used these ?

thanks,
-kt

Zip lock bags work fine, while I'm still on the pro Aldi bandwagon, their vac sealers were on $70 last week. There may or may not be some left, but also handy for splitting some hops.

Tahoose said:
Zip lock bags work fine, while I'm still on the pro Aldi bandwagon, their vac sealers were on $70 last week. There may or may not be some left, but also handy for splitting some hops.
I get in trouble off SWMBO for buying more equipment, it's not about the money, it's where "I'm going to store it".
But maybe I'll nick down there this arvo ... just for a look :ph34r:

Just a word of warning with the zip lock bags.

Before buying a vacuum sealer, I got all enthused one drunken evening about trying sous vide. I decided I'd have a crack at a couple of pork "scotch fillets" with a PID and a slow cooker death rigged on my kitchen bench. I used a zip lock bag for each one, but didn't successfully remove all the air from the bags. Anyway, nearly 3 hours later at 60 degrees (checked the water temperature with a separate thermometer to be sure) and I was sure they'd be well and truly safe. Quick sear on a smoking hot stainless pan and onto the plate. Absolutely delicious, and I went to bed chuffed with myself about my experiment.

Until about 2 o'clock that morning.

With good old 20/20 hindsight and sobriety, the fact the bags were floating in the water rather than sinking was a dead give away, and of course I didn't test the temperature of the meat once finished. I was crook as a dog for about 24 hours and swore off sous vide pork forever. Now with a vacuum sealer, a through the lid stainless probe for the PID and a propane torch, its the only way I cook my steaks.

tl;dr: get as much air as possible out of the zip lock bag

And make sure your food is cooked properly, however you choose to cook it.

Tahoose said:
Tip for the Aldi cooker, set to 1c less than your desired temp, it also doubles as a slow cooker.

Pretty much looks exactly the same as the sunbeam one available for $170
Good call.

I have noticed it's higher than what I have set it to. Happy with mine so far. Haven't got a vacuum sealer as yet. Just being throwing in pre-vacced steaks from Woolies and IGA.

doing some sliverside tomorrow two days time it will be done

Duck is always my favourite sous vide. Followed by eggs Benedict with gravlax and sour dough, I do love truffle Holindase with it though. Lamb rump always performs well with garlic and rosemary. The easiest way for meat is cryvaxing (sp)

It's funny reading this forum and finding out brewing has lead to...

So many things, yeast, temperature controlled and or outright funky exercises in the culinary arts.

Superjim. Something like a side plate on top will hold them down, we use gastronomes inside each other at a pinch to keep the meats submerged. Works well.

Anybody have recommendations on killer sous vide websites / books?

Resurrecting this thread, rather than starting a new one.

Heads up: next week Aldi have the sous-vide and vacuum sealers on special again - marriage made in heaven.

Apart from re-badging the cooker as "Ambiano" rather than the previous "Kuchef" it's actually a Sunbeam that normally sells for up to $200, so I'd expect it to be a good performer, and the $120 Aldi price is pretty good.

Will report with pictures, first off would have to be 2 inch thick Scotch Fillet steaks, Hogs Breath style. :icon_drool2:

I'm also keen to experiment with sous-vide chicken and beef to incorporate into curries.

Bribie G said:
I'm also keen to experiment with sous-vide chicken and beef to incorporate into curries.
Whole chook boobs have been the biggest revelation using my crock pot/STC-1000/aquarium aerator setup.
Usually they're dry horrible things when baked or grilled, but done sous-vide they are absolutely sensational - so moist & juicy.
And then there's 63 degree eggs - yum!
That Aldi price looks pretty good. If I didn't have the spare STC-1000 I'd be jumping on one of those.

Latest posts

Back