Having a "crack" at sous-vide

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manticle said:
bacon-man.jpg
Your Honour...my ex Wife was so tasty..honest...and crispy....

AndrewQLD said:
Has anyone ever used a deep fryer with water for this? Along with a temp controller of course, should give pretty accurate temp control.
Can't seen why it wouldn't work.

By the way, the brew crew in with did a brew with an actual sous vide machine.
Worked a treat, hit the numbers.

Only down side was pot choice, the sous vide machine wasn't able to get deep enough on our first pot of choice.

billygoat said:
Tahoose,
Did you put the meat in the bag completely raw or was it seared first?
In the bag raw then out into a searing hot frying pan, about 20seconds on each side and on each edge also, didn't bother resting it..

Rob.P said:
Can't seen why it wouldn't work.
You could use a deep fryer full of water as a double boiler type set up. Water has a good level of heat retention along with the fact that it also is a good insulator.

Basically a double bath is good because if your deep fryer takes off, its not going to heat up your second bath that quickly,

Ducatiboy stu said:
Deep fryer,slow cooker,rice cooker, electric fry pan....they are all easly able to be controled via an STC .......BUT....as they tend to draw more current/power/Amps than what an STC is rated for...its not a DIY job.

Further arguments are available on other threads about this...
My rice cooker only draws 3.2 amps max. My STC is rated to 10A.. if they were rated to over 10A then the power would cut when you run anything else in your kitchen lol

I use my herms rig for sous vide. Put enough water in the mash tun to cover and circulate through the heat exchanger just like a normal mash. PID controller holds the temp perfectly.
Once you've tried a chicken breast done at 60C for 2 hours you'll never eat it any other way, so moist and tender. Leave the skin on and put it in a red hot pan skin side down for a minute to brown and crisp up the skin.

I prefer using my slow cooker, I find the rice cooker always overshoots the temp. I use an aquarium pump to agitate the water,.

I added raw garlic, only once though... comes through as a strong raw garlic taste which I didn't like.

The STC isn't the best controller for this due to the relatively wide temperature range it operates in, no huge issue at the higher temp point, your meat might be done at a degree or so higher than you expect. Where you need to be cautious is at the low end of the spectrum and ensure that you have achieved an adequate micro kill step. For this reason I add a bit of extra time as a buffer when cooking at very low temps (e.g. 54 degrees).

Over the weekend I added a brown pump (http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=4630) to circ my water in my slow cooker rather than the noisy aquarium air pump. Works well with no hold/cold spots that I could identify with a probe thermometer. While I was at it I tested my STC probe against my mercury lab thermo while doing sous vide and it came up within .5 of a degree, good enough for me.

Over easter I recommissioned my 18 litre BIAb urn to cook sous vide. I used my brown pump to recirculate the water and an stc1000 to control temps.

First I cooked the missus and I some brekky. (Got out of bed, started it cooking then went back to bed and told her we had an hour to kill before it was ready so we need to pass the time with another activity, to which she was happy to oblige ;-)

eggs.jpg

Then for lunch it was Scotch Fillet with potato Latkes. Both turned out very good.

steak.jpg

How many watt is your urn? Does it overshoot by much? I've considered using my 40l crown for large things or large quantities but worried about overshooting temp too much... I will test I it one day.

Rudi 101 said:
How many watt is your urn? Does it overshoot by much? I've considered using my 40l crown for large things or large quantities but worried about overshooting temp too much... I will test I it one day.
It's 2200 watt. Using my brown pump to recirculate water from the bottom out and back in at the top meant I got very little overshoot. It worked very well to within a degrees

Didn't you know its an aphrodisiac, I only have to smell it and I crack a fat, Chinese girlfriend gave me ginger tea for a cold once, it wasn't just a cold she got from me -_-

Latest posts

Back