Having a "crack" at sous-vide

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
At least you can tell SWMBO that the Grainfather is indeed a kitchen item
I keep my 50L Braumeister in the kitchen. Now that's true love...

Gave it a maiden voyage this morning. Eggs and sausages, finished the eggs with a very quick poach to set the whites and browned the sausages in butter. Delicious! The eggs were perfect and the sausages were so juicy. Cooking steaks this evening.

Hooked it up to my cheap 15L esky. Will buy a dedicated one this week cut the hinges and drill a hole in the lid to fit the Anova.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1468037914.813402.jpg

As far as I understand, the only link between carcinogens and sous vide is due to plastic and is tenuous at best, especially considering the low temperatures involved.

Correctamundo muchacho, it is due to the plastics and can be discussed till the cows come home but as the temperatures are low it is less conceivable. I think. :)

wide eyed and legless said:
Tugger which tastes better barbecue rib eye or sous-vide?

The process requires both sous vide and bbq.
So therefore the answer is yes.

wide eyed and legless said:
Tugger which tastes better barbecue rib eye or sous-vide?
I'm not tugger, but I have recently done a sous vide of a pork cutlet. For a rib eye cutlet I believe your best bet is season that baby up throw it on the BBQ (hopefully open chargrill) cook to rare, remove and baste with mustard, back on the grill till med rare, rest that baby and enjoy. I found sous vide gave a different texture to the pork, I have not sous vide beef but I have cooked a hell of a lot of it in many different forms and still don't think you can beat an open grill (bbq with coals)

Hope this helped oh and of course enjoy with several beers.

Pretty close to how I would do it, though I do like it just about rare enough that a good vet could resuscitate it, just raw and warm on the inside, not only tastes good but you get the added adrenaline rush wondering if you may contract anything from eating aged under cooked meat.

Speaking of pork. This was my first attempt at sous vide, 18 hours in the bath followed by a quick upside down visit to the pan to crisp up the crackle then 3 hours in the oven.
Absolute delicious.

Pork belly and crinkle chips.

20160703_134134_resized.jpg

Latest posts

Back