Half The Amount Of Carbonation Drops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hensby

Reaction score
Can somebody tell me what happens when only one carb drop is put into a 750 ml bottle. It should have been two but I stuffed up. I suppose I will have a low carb beer. Should it taste ok. I used a Morgans dark ale with a malt extract.

If you only bottled within the last day or so most of the sugar will still be there with minimal carbonation so far, so you could just open each of them up and drop another sugaz in.

Otherwise you'll just have a semi flat beer. Perhaps leave them to condition a bit longer to ensure all the sugar has been used -- they should still be okay :) I personally don't mind a beer being a bit flat.

Loving the low carb pun.

Your beer will still carbonate, you just may need to leave it for quite a bit longer than you normally would. It will also still be less carbonated than you'd normally get. When did you bottle, and did you bottle into PET or glass?

EDIT: Too slow!

Can somebody tell me what happens when only one carb drop is put into a 750 ml bottle. It should have been two but I stuffed up. I suppose I will have a low carb beer. Should it taste ok. I used a Morgans dark ale with a malt extract.

With a dark ale, lower carbonation might even make it better. I know quite a few who lower their carbonation levels for the darker stuff...I do two thirds.

Cheers

as above, it might not be too bad with just one carb drop. i have had a few beers carbed with the drops and i find that 2 in a 750ml bottle is too much.

Thanks everyone for your reply's. Bottled last Sunday so I suppose I could open them up to drop another oner in, but I think I will just see how it turns out. Might take Svyturys and Rudi101 advice and see what happens.

as above, it might not be too bad with just one carb drop. i have had a few beers carbed with the drops and i find that 2 in a 750ml bottle is too much.

For a more balanced carbonation for less than a third of the cost, pop one of these in each bottle

sugacubes.JPG

No one really knows
No one who has done it has lived long enough to tell the tale

Often new brewers bottle when primary fermentation lock has stopped bubbling. The key is to know how long to leave for optimal result. My usual for a standard 5.5% brew is leave 10 days to 2 weeks after fermentation lock has stopped bubbling and FG is stable, usually around 1.015. Even then I find (In SE Queensland) two carbonation drops is one too many and far too gassy when opened approx three weeks later (always chilled for min 24 hours). These days I use very little dextrose in with my kits+malt extract, perhaps 500 gm max and always add 500 gm of cornsyrup for better head retention. For hops, depending on my brew, I rely on the kit for primary stage and then pitch in a dry hop 12 gm for last week or so in the primary. No guarantees, but this all works for me ATM.

Latest posts

Back