Hag Xmas Case

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Les/ Weizguy - Aventinus weizenbock-style ale. (Either that or another ale/prototype for the HAG 2008 brew).
2. Offline - Style undecided as yet
3. goatherder - Imperial Pilsner
4. David L - American IPA
5. Keith - either my fabulous APA or some wheat/alcohol/belgian/alcohol monstrosity;
6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
7. Sammus - dunno yet, probably a saison, or an american pale if the saison fails.
8. MHB - have to test the new LCBA clone on someone
9. nooch - no idea yet.
10. Tony - ESB
11 - Trent - you know I wouldn't miss it. Hopefully I will brew something drinkable
12 - Peve - Probably American Pale (Golden)
13 - Insight? - Belgian Witbier
14 - Punter- Kolsch
15 - Craig - not sure yet.
16 - Head - Not too sure, still on training wheels. Maybe Irish Red.
17 - Snagler - Not sure as yet, Beer???
18 - Shmick - Strong Danish lager??? need to think about it.
19 - Leeboy - Either a American Amber Ale, Californian steam ale or a Russian Imperial Stout (with brewers liquorice)
20. Danny Boy - 'Sugarloaf Sweet'
21. Pok - Unknown.... most probably a clone as I am still K&K with a bit of experimenting.. basically in for experience and some feedback. May put in a golden ale clone or something....suggestions welcome???
22. Loftboy - Hahn Premium Clone. Like 'pokolbinguy', I'm still K&K & want to do this for the experience & feedback.
23. Schooey - Wheat beer
24. Stephen - I'll let you know when I know

Done.... ;)

If any one else is looking for longnecks let me know - I have boxes of them in my garage.

Secondly, I have convinced the Bull and Bush Hotel, Medowie's drinking hole, to sell James Squire Golden Ale through theire bottle shop. I'm still working in some other styles but at least I've started something.

Stephen

Guys
It's great to see the level of interest in good brewing in the Hunter.

So the tentative plan is:-
Saturday 15 December
After closing (1:30 PM , thats 13:30 Stephen) at the shop, we will share out the bottles.
I will make sure there are a couple of live taps and some alcohol diluents on hand, Ok beer and snacks.

If you can't make it on that day, please get your case to the shop before the swap, we will hold your mixed case for collection.

There would be room for a couple of reserves, because we all know things happen, so if you were thinking of getting your hand up - hurry.

See you then, if not before.

MHB

If any one else is looking for longnecks let me know - I have boxes of them in my garage.

Yes please Steve,

It would be great if someone can 'loan' me the required number of bottles.

Thanks
Dave

Going to mash mine on monday or tuesday night. Decided to use up all the little bits i had left in bags so 3 different ale malts in there but they are good ones :p

cheers

HAG ESB

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 46.00 Wort Size (L): 46.00
Total Grain (kg): 13.10
Anticipated OG: 1.066 Plato: 16.15
Anticipated EBC: 23.6
Anticipated IBU: 56.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
19.1 2.50 kg. TF Golden Promise Pale Ale Ma UK 1.037 6
40.5 5.30 kg. TF Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt UK 1.037 5
24.4 3.20 kg. IMC Ale Malt Australia 1.038 4
7.6 1.00 kg. Weyermann Munich I Germany 1.038 15
7.6 1.00 kg. TF Crystal UK 1.034 145
0.8 0.10 kg. TF Amber Malt UK 1.033 120

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
40.00 g. Wye Target Pellet 11.10 22.3 45 min.
60.00 g. Wye Northdown Pellet 7.20 14.3 20 min.
60.00 g. Wye Challenger Pellet 7.90 12.9 15 min.
60.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 6.00 7.1 10 min.
60.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 6.00 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1318 London Ale III

11 pm and im out the front of the house cleaning the brew rig with a torch.

couldnt be bothered doing it tomorrow.

I had help from my fellow hop sniffers cloudy and eugene. They couldnt stop sniffing. Hopefully they left a bit of hop aroma but i ended up adding 2g/liter at flame out so should be no probs.

I got 45 liters at around 1.068. the 1318 is alive and healthy from the starter and trasted clean as a wistle.

will ferment it at 20 deg and bottle.

hoping it will be Fullers ESB at $1 a bottle instead of $7.50 :angry: markups suck

but thats what i do this :)

cheers

Guys
It's great to see the level of interest in good brewing in the Hunter.

So the tentative plan is:-
Saturday 15 December
After closing (1:30 PM , thats 13:30 Stephen) at the shop, we will share out the bottles.
I will make sure there are a couple of live taps and some alcohol diluents on hand, Ok beer and snacks.

If you can't make it on that day, please get your case to the shop before the swap, we will hold your mixed case for collection.

There would be room for a couple of reserves, because we all know things happen, so if you were thinking of getting your hand up - hurry.

See you then, if not before.

MHB
Mark

The correct time is 1330. No colon!!! If you really want to get technical it would be 151330LDEC07 or 150230ZDEC07.

Stephen

Howdy, in a shameless attempt to educate my palate I have decided to jump in boots n all to the swap, number allowing of course.
Style of beer is yet to be decided.

Slainte

Carol

1. Les/ Weizguy - Aventinus weizenbock-style ale. (Either that or another ale/prototype for the HAG 2008 brew).
2. Offline - Style undecided as yet
3. goatherder - Imperial Pilsner
4. David L - American IPA
5. Keith - either my fabulous APA or some wheat/alcohol/belgian/alcohol monstrosity;
6. Scotty - Ninny Lager
7. Sammus - dunno yet, probably a saison, or an american pale if the saison fails.
8. MHB - have to test the new LCBA clone on someone
9. nooch - no idea yet.
10. Tony - ESB
11 - Trent - you know I wouldn't miss it. Hopefully I will brew something drinkable
12 - Peve - Probably American Pale (Golden)
13 - Insight? - Belgian Witbier
14 - Punter- Kolsch
15 - Craig - not sure yet.
16 - Head - Not too sure, still on training wheels. Maybe Irish Red.
17 - Snagler - Not sure as yet, Beer???
18 - Shmick - Strong Danish lager??? need to think about it.
19 - Leeboy - Either a American Amber Ale, Californian steam ale or a Russian Imperial Stout (with brewers liquorice)
20. Danny Boy - 'Sugarloaf Sweet'
21. Pok - Unknown.... most probably a clone as I am still K&K with a bit of experimenting.. basically in for experience and some feedback. May put in a golden ale clone or something....suggestions welcome???
22. Loftboy - Hahn Premium Clone. Like 'pokolbinguy', I'm still K&K & want to do this for the experience & feedback.
23. Schooey - Wheat beer
24. Stephen - I'll let you know when I know
25. Ms Thirsty Wench - yet to be decided

great stuff.

1st post and your in a case swap.

welcome aboard.

cheers

Good to see ya on board, thirstywench. Ditto to Tony's comment.

I'll get some bottles to ya in plenty of time.

IIRC, MHB mentioned that there may be some mighty cigars present and fired up on the day. Can U say Cubano?

Les

IIRC, MHB mentioned that there may be some mighty cigars present and fired up on the day. Can U say Cubano?

oohh il have to be there :p cant let the gf find out, doesnt like my smoking past heh... cigars are different though!

and welcome, thirsty! echoing tony, what an awesome first post!

Howdy.
Thanks all for the warm welcome.

Donations of bottles are more than welcome at his point. Thanks to you Les for the helping hand with the initial supply.

Looking forward to sampling a variety of ales and putting to some faces to some names.
As for the cigars, I may need them leave to you gentlemen but you never know the mood may strike me on the day.

Slainte

Carol

Here is my BIG American Amber Ale recipe for the case swap. Just about finished its primary ferment, and ready for a dry hop of Amarillo and Cascade.
ProMash Recipe Printout
Recipe : OCT 07 AAA
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (GAL): 5.00 Wort Size (GAL): 5.00
Total Grain (LBS): 16.13
Anticipated OG: 1.086 Plato: 20.73
Anticipated SRM: 19.1
Anticipated IBU: 44.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
73.8 11.90 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
6.8 1.10 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
6.2 1.00 lbs. CarAmber France 1.034 30
6.2 1.00 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
6.2 1.00 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
0.8 0.13 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.70 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 9.90 28.9 60 min.
0.70 oz. Willamette Pellet 4.90 3.8 15 min.
1.06 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 6.00 4.4 5 min.
0.70 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 10.00 4.9 1 min.
0.70 oz. Cascade Pellet 6.00 2.9 1 min.

Yeast
-----
New Wyeast VSS Fat Tire Ale...

Done this recipe before just never used this yeast.

Can't wait to try some other peoples recipes!

are you american leeboy ?

did you learn the metric system at school :p :lol:

at least with the yank measurements it will be authentic....... cant wait to try it mate.

whats the go with the fat tyre yeast? never heard of that.

Ahhhh its a sheltered life i lead.

cheers

are you american leeboy ?

did you learn the metric system at school :p :lol:

at least with the yank measurements it will be authentic....... cant wait to try it mate.

whats the go with the fat tyre yeast? never heard of that.

Ahhhh its a sheltered life i lead.

cheers

Yes it is Tony.

This is the latest yeast release from Wyeast and it is the yeast used in New Belgium's Fat Type Amber Ale. http://www.newbelgium.com/beers_ft.php

I didn't get to the brewery when I was in Denver earlier this year but was chatting to some guys about it. It seems to be a fantastic place to work as after you have worked there for 3 years you get to go on their annual trip to Belgium for a few weeks.

Dave

Annual trip to belgium, what a life eh....
No tony I'm not yank however my version of promash is american so I have to use the units funtion to convert all my metric to imperial. It is a real pain in the ar$e. Notice if you get the calc out they all come out a round figures in metric... Anyway it is a very nice drop. i usually use the NW APA yeast by Wyeast which imo beats the hell out of American I and II. This should be different though, I tried a few fat tire ales when I was in the states and loved them so this is a yeast that I will definately be hanging on to. Pretty sure Wyeast only do their VSS lines for 3 months. I had their Flying Dog Ale yeast a while ago and it was pretty nice. Good for the citric/grapefruit notes. Even gave it a run in a porter and it turned out nice.

Bugger just went into options and found you can convert them to metric. That;s what i get for trusting an american that used it before me that I brew with occassionally. I've been using for 2 years or so now and having to do unnecessary calc. Oh well, on easy street now...

Hows everyone else's brews going?

Bugger just went into options and found you can convert them to metric. That;s what i get for trusting an american that used it before me that I brew with occassionally. I've been using for 2 years or so now and having to do unnecessary calc. Oh well, on easy street now...

Hehe was just about to mention that :p

Haven't put mine down yet, I'm a bit of a yeast collector and I look forward to culturing that fat tyre business :p
Was thinking of doing a APA with the flying dog ale, but I'm leaning towards doing a saison. If I can get my hands on 3726 Farmhouse Ale then Ill have a second Saison yeast and will further expand my ever growing yeast bank :D

:lol: thats what my post was leading to mate...... hope i didnt offend.

Its not often you see people in aus put figures up in pounds and ounces :huh:

Cant wait to try it......... sounds very intesting indeed. I love something outside the square..... should be more of it.

cheers

PS.......... racking the HAG ESB tomorrow to use the yeast cake. Its not done but 1.018 is good enough to rack. It tastes and smells fantastic. very malty, nutty caramel flavours with hops intertwined, nice aroma.

cant wait till its cool and carbed.

might have to put a coopers real ale down with a few KG of sugar in it to give away :lol:

cheers

If I can get my hands on 3726 Farmhouse Ale then Ill have a second Saison yeast and will further expand my ever growing yeast bank :D
The next Dave Logsdon in the making, screw that Maths stuff - get involved in the Beer industry.

You may be interested in my planned case contribution using the Wyeast 3711VSS; I have a starter that should be all set for pitching on brew day tomorrow.

K.

Latest posts

Back