Hag - Baltic Porter Disincantation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHB

Reaction score
Just a heads up for any Hunter All Grain brewers

The Baltic Porter Disincantation is on Sunday, the following is a copy of the email sent out to most locals, just in case anyone slipped through the cracks.

Just a quick reminder, we are getting the Baltic Porter out of the wood after two years on Sunday kick off around 10 or 11 in the morning.

I have a keg of Old Speckled Hen, Doc says he will be bringing along a couple of kegs of something nice so there won't be any shortage of beer.

If you're in the area, even if you didn't put a beer into the Baltic, feel free to drop by have a beer and catch up with some of the guys.

There will also be samples of the newly arrived Belgian Malts (Pilsner, Aromatic, Biscuit and SpecialB) and Candy Syrups out to taste.

The price list will be updated early next month, as well as the new Belgian malts there are the new Simpsons malts and Floor Malted Maris and Golden Promise just coming in. So lots of good stuff happening

Wyeast order first week of May to, so if you want some super fresh Wyeast start thinking about what you need, remember for all the yeast farmers you can order the Propagator packs, smaller but cheaper, more variety for your dollars.

Hope to see a lot of you on Sunday please remember that if you want to drink to excess get a dam lift wont you.

Mark

PS
Bottles, I have a couple of hundred Champagne bottles (via Keith at Potters), if you don't bring a keg or your own bottles you can pay 75 cents for a Champs bottle, plug and cage that's actually below cost I will throw in some priming yeast and sugar.

M
EDIT
Posting while drinking, Aromatic not Victory, i blame the alcohol.
M

Just a heads up for any Hunter All Grain brewers

The Baltic Porter Disincantation is on Sunday, the following is a copy of the email sent out to most locals, just in case anyone slipped through the cracks.

Hi Mark,

What's this all about? I'm pretty new to the AG scene....

Is this a swap type of deal?

If you have been in the shop in the last 2 years you will have noticed a 200 litre wooden barrel in the middle of the floor.

A bunch of us made our own versions of a Baltic Porter; they got combined in the barrel, on Sunday it's coming out (should have come out last ANZAC day, but I was in hospital around then).

Complete with what I am sure is a unique micro flora all of its own.

Come along and say hi.

MHB

If you have been in the shop in the last 2 years you will have noticed a 200 litre wooden barrel in the middle of the floor.

A bunch of us made our own versions of a Baltic Porter; they got combined in the barrel, on Sunday it's coming out (should have come out last ANZAC day, but I was in hospital around then).

Complete with what I am sure is a unique micro flora all of its own.

Come along and say hi.

MHB

Holy crap. Thats what that is.

I have to work as normal but sounds like fun. Enjoy!!!

Its my Sons first birthday party... and ive been told that under no circumstances that i would be allowed to attend a tasting session :p
Have a great day

Tom

Hi Mark,

Can't make it for Sunday, but mrs warra and I will be in Newcastle this Wednesday for a chat with our financial people.

I made a deal with mrs warra, she gets dropped at Kotara shops, I get to go to MHB.

Cheers, Rob

I sampled the Speckled Hen recently and it's a very nice drop, and low on carbonation, the way the maker intended.

Looking forward to the "disincantation" and meeting up with some of the brewers again. Oh,...and the beer of course.

Hmmmm...how to get home? Best check the buses from Stockton and ferry times from Newie (Queen's Wharf Brewery) station.

What's the next project for the barrel, or is the barrel spent now?

Thanks again, Mark. :D

Flying out of Darwin this morning to Brisbane, and then driving from Bris to Newy tomorrow...

No samples for schooey.... :(

That sounds great!
I am not going to miss that social highlight ;)

Couple of catch ups

For Warra and Schooey, it's a 50 L keg I hope we do it serious harm, but there might be a drop or two left by mid week. OSH has always been a personal favourite so no guarantees.

Pock, knowing Warrar's taste in beer I think he might have been dropping a subtle hint see above.

The Ol' Boozeroony well this is an all Ale do we will try to keep the Lager questions to a minimum, there could be 4-5 pro brewers here so if there are questions we can spread the load. Keith wont be coming, apparently he is off to points north for a couple of weeks, Jess recons she will stager in for a g'day hangover permitting, so Potters wont be totally unrepresented.

Les How about a huge barley wine?
The barrel is a port barrel, I chose one of them because unlike wine barrels they don't get scraped or shaved every season, which means there's plenty of wood thickness left, to fresh it up I might get it sent out to the cooper for a shave and re-toast, have it sterilised and we can see what people think.

The next brewday at Potters is supposed to be a Rogue "Imperial IPA" we should have the Braumeister fired up on Sunday with the test brew. Les is doing the recipe and nurturing the Pack Man yeast one to look forward to.

Be good to catch up hope to see as many as possible.

MHB

I might get it sent out to the cooper for a shave and re-toast, have it sterilised and we can see what people think.

Might be cheaper to either buy another used barrel from a local winery OR see if you can line up with a winery that is going to get a batch of barrels re-shave in one hit, ask if you can have yours done at the same time and you might be able to make a deal with them.

Pok

Couple of catch ups

For Warra and Schooey, it's a 50 L keg I hope we do it serious harm, but there might be a drop or two left by mid week. OSH has always been a personal favourite so no guarantees.

Pock, knowing Warrar's taste in beer I think he might have been dropping a subtle hint see above.

The Ol' Boozeroony well this is an all Ale do we will try to keep the Lager questions to a minimum, there could be 4-5 pro brewers here so if there are questions we can spread the load. Keith wont be coming, apparently he is off to points north for a couple of weeks, Jess recons she will stager in for a g'day hangover permitting, so Potters wont be totally unrepresented.

Les How about a huge barley wine?
The barrel is a port barrel, I chose one of them because unlike wine barrels they don't get scraped or shaved every season, which means there's plenty of wood thickness left, to fresh it up I might get it sent out to the cooper for a shave and re-toast, have it sterilised and we can see what people think.

The next brewday at Potters is supposed to be a Rogue "Imperial IPA" we should have the Braumeister fired up on Sunday with the test brew. Les is doing the recipe and nurturing the Pack Man yeast one to look forward to.

Be good to catch up hope to see as many as possible.

MHB

I'll be sticking my head in for an hour or so early in proceedings. Gotta family do in the arvo so can't sty, but will be good to catch up with a few of you for an hour or so at least. Finally back in Newie and ready to rock and roll!!

Shawn.

Thanks Pock

Have used retired wine barrels in the past and find that they are usually retired because their stuffed, been shaved so many times they leak or the planks are starting to snap.

The requirements for beer and spirit barrels are I think you will find slightly different to that for wine makers.

I usually use Heritage Cooper in Melbourne; he does a lot of work for distilleries which is more the type of barrel I am interested in; so far I have been very happy with his work.

It might be better to get a new barrel made (or an old barrel reworked) tho to my mind price is far less important than quality when it comes to wood.

Gogh, be good to see you.

MHB

Had a fairly warm sample of the OSH on Thursday arvo :D . Will definately try and get in there in the morning.

Adam

It's a tasty drop that's for sure. I was just in melbourne for a few days and spend a significant amount in some elephant and wheelbarrow pub that had tetleys and osh on tap. Drank quite a bit of em too :beer:

Unfortunately the gods have conspired to prevent me from attending. :(

I'll catch up with you all next time.

I think that I have already told Mark that I wont be able to attend. I hope that you guys have a cracker of a day, and if there looks like there will be no OSH left by the week after this one (when I will be in Newy next), then can someone pour a bottle out through some kind of counter pressure bottle filler or something? :lol: Would hate to miss out, but thems the risks ya take I guess (and the sad part is there arent even any waves today!).
I will be at the next HAG thingy but, and am already madly scribbling a barleywine recipe for the next one....
All the best
Trent

Back