First Porter Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
Why use MO with all that LME.........
Is there a reason not too?
I'm going off an all grain recipe which calls for 2 row English pale ale malt, I can partial mash up to 1.8Kg of base malt in my cooler. I figured...Might as well. It can only add more freshness of flavor to the beer. LME and DME can only give you so much.

I'd like to keep my current brewing method at the moment. I'm aiming to get more consistency with the brews. But, I could change the wort from 21L to 9 or 10L batch. If I do that, what changes to the hop schedule would need to be made?

Stu - this is a partial mash. Personally I'd use as much MO as you can and drop the munich but now you've made the beer, you can hopefully discern for ypurself what does what and what, if anything you would change next time.

After all - you're making it for you, not me.

Joe Mc said:
The hop profile takes the chocolate bite up a notch at the backend and leaves the overall mouth-feel too dry.
Is there a fair chance that this exaggerated bite is from harsher astringent notes of the dark grains/crystal rather than from the hops?

Eg: could cold steeping eliminate this? (Instead of altering the hops schedule).

Joe Mc.....how many beers have you made so far....have they mostly been extract + spec grains

technobabble66 said:
Is there a fair chance that this exaggerated bite is from harsher astringent notes of the dark grains/crystal rather than from the hops?

Eg: could cold steeping eliminate this? (Instead of altering the hops schedule).
I rekon your right, I've decided to cut the black malt all together. What temp would you cold steep special grains at?

Would that be Tasmanian cold water temps or Darwin cold water temps...

Joe Mc said:
I rekon your right, I've decided to cut the black malt all together.
Black malt in a robust porter is rather nice....and...if your getting astringency from black malt....then its not black malt...

Ducatiboy stu said:
Joe Mc.....how many beers have you made so far....have they mostly been extract + spec grains
I've brewed 12, 21L batches of my partial mash brews using up to 1.8kg of base malt in my 7.6L cooler, and a 19L Big W pot.The porter was the first brew kept at a constant temp using a temp mate.I've roughly brewed 15 extract with grains and hops, and many kits. You got me thinking about doing a 9-10L AG batch and doing a Partial brew to compare flavours, colour, aroma, etc.

If your hinting that I take the red pill and you show me how deep the AG rabbit hole goes...??

I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify AG Brewers, and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you AG Brewers do not.
You move to a thread topic and you multiply and multiply until every thread topic is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another thread topic. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? Yeast. AG Brewers are a Yeast strain :D

Ducatiboy stu said:
Black malt in a robust porter is rather nice....and...if your getting astringency from black malt....then its not black malt...
There is an astringency there at the back end. What usually gives off this taste?

Ducatiboy stu said:
Would that be Tasmanian cold water temps or Darwin cold water temps...
Considering I stick the lot in the fridge - either or.

What i'm suggesting is that the temp of a cold steep is irrelevant as long as it isn't hot.

Roast malts can give astringency.

manticle said:
Considering I stick the lot in the fridge - either or.

What i'm suggesting is that the temp of a cold steep is irrelevant as long as it isn't hot.

Roast malts can give astringency.
Roast malt yes....Black malt not so much

Joe Mc said:
If your hinting that I take the red pill and you show me how deep the AG rabbit hole goes...??

I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify AG Brewers, and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you AG Brewers do not.
You move to a thread topic and you multiply and multiply until every thread topic is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another thread topic. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? Yeast. AG Brewers are a Yeast strain :D
Not assuming you take any form of coloured pill.

But if you take the attitude of AG brewers being superior to everyone else and not wanting to help those who are not AG brewers, then you are sadly mistaken.

Brewers ask questions because they have been there and have done what you are currently doing. They ask the queastions because they want to know where you are at and what you are doing so they can help you to make a better beer and avoid mistakes.

Latest posts

Back