First Porter Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to steep the specialty grains separately from the mash, as this will give room for more base grains.

In the past, I've steeped my specialty grains in about 3L at around 65 degrees and let it sit for 30mins, then add to the brew pot.

Cutting the black malt from the recipe will hopefully give a good comparison of what the flavour profile of black malt can do for a porter.

Black malt can be overpowering. Can give a nice charcoal/ ash flavour. Personally I preffer black malt in a Stout.

Any reason why you are using a small mash vessel....

Ducatiboy stu said:
Not assuming you take any form of coloured pill.

But if you take the attitude of AG brewers being superior to everyone else and not wanting to help those who are not AG brewers, then you are sadly mistaken.

Brewers ask questions because they have been there and have done what you are currently doing. They ask the queastions because they want to know where you are at and what you are doing so they can help you to make a better beer and avoid mistakes.
Only having a dig. I guess there's no such thing as stupid questions...Just stupid answers. So I apologise.
I for 1 have appreciated all the help the people on this site have given out.

Basically, I don't have much else laying around to use. I do like using the small cooler though. I can control the temp of the mash to within 2 degrees of what my thermometer reads over 60mins. there's no headspace what so ever, and I can easily batch sparge.
The 2 pot thread looks intriguing, but I would prefer to upgrade to a larger esky, flame source and brew pot when I get the time and money.

Cheers,

Ducatiboy stu said:
I would hope so
So how is black malt not a form of roast? You confuse me.

your logic so far has gone from suggesting using black patent in a porter to suggesting black can't give astringency to suggesting roast malt and black malt are separate to suggesting black malt is better in a stout than porter.

I can't follow your circles. I agree that a tiny amount of black in a porter can work well but you lost me with the rest.

Do you have a BigW/Kmart nearby. There 20ltr stock pots are the go for what you are doing.

In fact I soldered 2 of them together for my ghetto kettle....was ugly as sin...but did 4-5 yrs worth of brewing....but thats another story..

Latest posts

Back