GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Jayvan90
I've just got my Smartpid, arrived yesterday.

What instructions did you follow to wire it in? Did you find any specific to the guten?
Did you move the temp sensor?
Any tips for setting it up / install on the guten 70?

Thanks

@Jayvan90
I've just got my Smartpid, arrived yesterday.

What instructions did you follow to wire it in? Did you find any specific to the guten?
Did you move the temp sensor?
Any tips for setting it up / install on the guten 70?

Thanks
Hey @duncbrewer,
I’m busy today but will have some time tomorrow afternoon to respond properly- I followed the Klarstein instructions as that was most similar- I didn’t change the location of the temp probe but have since considered doing that as I think it might be better placed closer to the recirc pump inlet.
Also on my last brew I had possibly the most annoying issue I have encountered so far - the thermal cut out switch decided it didn’t like me or the roggenbier I was brewing and would reset every 40 - 50 sec or so at around 100c, to get my post boil numbers took around 3ish boring hrs - so that is getting a bypass before next brew day since it doesn’t look like keg king sell a replacement. While I have it apart I will take some pics of how it all worked out for you. As far as 70L specific info, I only have a 40 so not much help but I figure they probably have a fair-bit in common other than just physical size.
Did you get the capacitor / filter in the kit? .. that becomes useful if you get interface to the wifi connection from the pump..

as an update on the trub catcher - it never really worked as well as I wanted it to after chopping and changing .. back to the drawing board !

Hey @duncbrewer,
I’m busy today but will have some time tomorrow afternoon to respond properly- I followed the Klarstein instructions as that was most similar- I didn’t change the location of the temp probe but have since considered doing that as I think it might be better placed closer to the recirc pump inlet.
Also on my last brew I had possibly the most annoying issue I have encountered so far - the thermal cut out switch decided it didn’t like me or the roggenbier I was brewing and would reset every 40 - 50 sec or so at around 100c, to get my post boil numbers took around 3ish boring hrs - so that is getting a bypass before next brew day since it doesn’t look like keg king sell a replacement. While I have it apart I will take some pics of how it all worked out for you. As far as 70L specific info, I only have a 40 so not much help but I figure they probably have a fair-bit in common other than just physical size.
Did you get the capacitor / filter in the kit? .. that becomes useful if you get interface to the wifi connection from the pump..

as an update on the trub catcher - it never really worked as well as I wanted it to after chopping and changing .. back to the drawing board !
Jaycar
Hey @duncbrewer,

Jaycar electronics would probably have a thermal cut out

@Jayvan90
If you can find out the details of the cutout I'll look at the ones that I bought as spares when I burnt out the one in my water boiler.
I'll check the rating of the ones I've got in a couple of hours.

I ordered mine from aliexpress as I struggled to find one in Jaycar over here or another supplier.

I used the false bottom with my Guten 70 this week. Hazy pale recipe with 100gm whirlpool. It's pretty much useless, as you can see the holes in the mesh aren't fine enough to trap the hops.

I'm going back to the hop spider and I'll throw in 20% extra to compensate for lower utilisation.

Attachments

• 20220210_171247.jpg
    20220210_171247.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 57
@hopnotic

That is a pain, not a crazy amount of hops either.
I have the 40Lt and find the false bottom is good
Between the false bottom and a helix coil under the false bottom I get reasonably clear wort out (and even when pumping out via the tap at around 20 deg)

The false bottom doesn't specify "must use with helix coil to be effective".

It's basically false advertising.

I would suggest that the false bottom doesn’t claim to eliminate all the trub either
But combine the 2 together they still won’t get all of the trub out either

Be careful what you wish for. A finer mesh on the false bottom would be more prone to plugging, much like the original bazooka screen. There's no harm with some trub (or even all of it) going into the fermenter, but you can minimise it with false bottom + turning the tap off when it starts to go murky.

I reckon the false bottom would be a different beast if used with whole hops, would make a great filter bed.

I'm going to carry on with my homemade " trubinator " / " trubtrapper " , I've sold the helix coil as it wasn't quite good enough either.
https://www.brewtools.com/search?q=trubinator
Mine seen in post 2233 this thread the MK 1 for the robobrew and the bigger MK 2 for the Guten 70.

Does a good job, tricky bit is getting it to drop in the right place. Really good at stopping hops ( pelletised not tried with whole ) but doesn't stop cold break that well, but do you need to?

Might try and pick up the genuine article though on a trip to Europe in July.

I used the false bottom with my Guten 70 this week. Hazy pale recipe with 100gm whirlpool. It's pretty much useless, as you can see the holes in the mesh aren't fine enough to trap the hops.

I'm going back to the hop spider and I'll throw in 20% extra to compensate for lower utilisation.
How did you go about whirlpooling? Looks like the hops didn't settle in the centre very well.

That's worked well but we can only see what's in your boiler, the bit we can't see in your fermenter is what matters.

The false bottom in my 70L has a massive gap at one point on the edge, everything just gets sucked below.
I'm too scared to use a helix as well because I won't be able to open it up with the paddle when it's under the false bottom.

I’ve got the helix under the false bottom
I’ve NEVER had to open up the helix to transfer the wort. (I’ve got a mag pump attached to the tap)

Speaking of false bottom, has anyone managed to modify theirs to make it easier and less damaging to get in and out?

I’m tempted to cut mine down the middle and put stainless hinges in. Or a hinge made of a strip of stainless mesh.

Back