GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well.... that was interesting.

Anyway... i am still waiting for my replacement (and hopefully non-leaky) recirc pipe to return to me, but once i've got that next week i might be able to finally do a brew on the 50L. What does everyone use to do the first clean of the system? Run it through with some sodium perc and then rinse with some hot water?

OK so I just needed to be more observant of the red dot next to mash volume needed on beersmith.

Pretty well just perc and a rinse for me.

For the clean as dibbz says sodium perc or borate recirculate through the pump and pipe rinse and ready to go.
Just noticed a real good feature on the new Guten, the thermal cut off switch also has an inline safey cut off switch so if one fails there is a back up, can't remember if this feature is on my old one. Thumbs up to the manufacturers.

For the first clean I put about 5L of water in it and half a cap of coles brand laundry booster. Heated it to 60C and ran thrugh the pump for abotu 10mins. while it was warming I gave it a scrub on the inside with a sponge.

I drained into a bucket out the tap, then rinsed with some fresh water.

I do the same thing after brewing and removing any hops from the bottom. Before storage I run a bit of starsan through the pump to help prevent any nasties from lurking in there.

Thanks fellas. I'm guessing that the coles laundry booster is essentially sodium perc anyway? I'll pick some of that up and give it a go.

Maybe aus post will pull through with a miracle and i'll get my re-circulation pipe today... but I doubt it

Thanks fellas. I'm guessing that the coles laundry booster is essentially sodium perc anyway? I'll pick some of that up and give it a go.

Maybe aus post will pull through with a miracle and i'll get my re-circulation pipe today... but I doubt it

They have 2 different ones, both I think the cheaper one is about 25% sodium percarbonate and the more expensive one is about 33%. I use it because its easy to get and we use it in the washing machine too.

Thought: purchased a 50cm one of these as a possible recirculation arm improvement for only $5.50 off eBay
Flexible but seems rigid and is all stainless. I’ll slap on a camlock on one end, saw off the other end and report back how it works in due time! Might even double as an effective whirlpool arm
IMG_2536.jpg

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/263943770769

Any of the laundry booster /oxy cleaners/nappy washes are good enough for the first clean, but you are better off getting a powdered brew wash for ongoing cleaning.
They are far more effective for getting rid of gunk buildup.

I actually used a more "aggressive" cleaner for the first wash, like I do with all my equipment - first time.
Its called Tricleanium, it does more than what perc does.

Last edited:
I did a brew this afternoon and as I was chilling with my immersion chiller I tried to put the pump on but it was blocked. I've had this now 2 out of 3 brews. When I was cleaning after pouring out the trub I noticed this (see pic) coming out the inlet hole. I was using a standard shop bought hop bag for the hop additions rather than the hop spider.
Any ideas and thoughts why this might be happening and what I can do to stop it?
20181007_170445.jpeg

I did a brew this afternoon and as I was chilling with my immersion chiller I tried to put the pump on but it was blocked. I've had this now 2 out of 3 brews. When I was cleaning after pouring out the trub I noticed this (see pic) coming out the inlet hole. I was using a standard shop bought hop bag for the hop additions rather than the hop spider.
Any ideas and thoughts why this might be happening and what I can do to stop it? View attachment 113775
That looks more like grain blocking the inlet than hops. Like weal said you need a filter on the inlet to run the pump after the mash.

Yes, it does look like a bit of grain has got in there. Where can I buy the pump filter? And if I had one of those lauter helix then could I place it over the pump inlet and this would do the same and help keep the pump clear? The bazooka on the ball valve is annoying and I keep hitting it with the immersion chiller. Only a matter of time before it gets damaged and is unusable.
Where can I buy the lauter helix some of you guys have?

Last edited:
Pm weal for the helix. That filter he posted a pic of I'm not sure if it's available here. KK were rumored to be getting the whirlpool arm but I'm not sure about the filter. I don't know if the helix would work on the pump inlet, if anybody has tried, let us all know.

Does anyone know of an Australian supplier who would ship a Guten to NZ? The NZ supplier just tells me they are coming soon and they never arrive. I sold my 3v pending buy one, but if they don't come soon I'll have to go down the Robobrew 3 route, which I don't want to. Will still work out cheaper if I get it through Australia as they are going to be $690 here.

Or is there someone here that runs a business that I could order one, get it sent there, and then you on ship it for me?

Does anyone know of an Australian supplier who would ship a Guten to NZ? The NZ supplier just tells me they are coming soon and they never arrive. I sold my 3v pending buy one, but if they don't come soon I'll have to go down the Robobrew 3 route, which I don't want to. Will still work out cheaper if I get it through Australia as they are going to be $690 here.

Or is there someone here that runs a business that I could order one, get it sent there, and then you on ship it for me?
Have you tried Keg King, I know they have more stock on the way of the 40 litre but have 50 litre in stock. Apart from that you could go direct, send Sandy an email on Alibaba but check with KK first.

Yes, it does look like a bit of grain has got in there. Where can I buy the pump filter? And if I had one of those lauter helix then could I place it over the pump inlet and this would do the same and help keep the pump clear? The bazooka on the ball valve is annoying and I keep hitting it with the immersion chiller. Only a matter of time before it gets damaged and is unusable.
Where can I buy the lauter helix some of you guys have?
Keg King sell the filter for the inlet and the helix but I cant understand how you got so many grain husks into the boil, don't pour the grist into the malt pipe from a bag, use a bucket where you have more control. Even when I do full volume mash I don't get barely 1 bit of grain into the boil, the pump on mash cycle spits the grain out back onto the top, if you see grain in the liquor coming up for the boil scoop it out with a sieve.
If you want to go down the helix route read up on no chill and the Argon method, makes life a lot easier, my next brew I will be chilling but just to see if a good whirlpool will keep the cold break from blocking the helix. I have skipped the whirlpool before with no chill and the wort still drained out easily.

I did a english bitter the other day, and ran the pump when i was chilling straight into the hop spider
and this caught a lot of crud,
The rest was caught by the other bazooka filter
Thats what i will do in future worked nicely and cooled quicker or seemed to

B

I use the Guten bazooka filter fitted to the pump inlet as I was sure it was inadequate for it's proposed role, and now I'm using one of WEAL's helixes on the tap.
Do you cover the overflow tube of the malt pipe with the little plastic screw on thing when adding grain?
And do you adjust the recirc pump flow so it doesn't go down the overflow pipe.

Latest posts

Back