GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have it dome up but not sure if its right or wrong, a lot of the videos have the dome down, Im starting to wonder if it's going to be worth taking it to a SS welder and getting it spot welded in a few places

I did a brew today with the maltpipe base the "right" way up and the bloody thing fell out mid mash!
It's going in with the dome pointing up until I work out something better to stop it from falling.
Lucky I had my old urn to dump everything into after mashout with a biab bag in to catch all the grain.

I'm thinking of somehow adding a couple of SS rods to the maltpipe to avoid this ever happening again.

Mine never fell out and I had 11kgs of soaked grain in it.
Mine is positioned dome up.
Also, make sure you have the pipe assembled the correct way, originally I didnt.
The "smallest" spacer is on the bottom.

I have it dome up but not sure if its right or wrong, a lot of the videos have the dome down, Im starting to wonder if it's going to be worth taking it to a SS welder and getting it spot welded in a few places

Yeah i thought of that but concerned about possible warranty issues.

@krz I think there may be some variance in the bottom screens and or the rolling at the bottom of the maltpipe.
Some have had this happen with a small amount of grain - others can stack it to the top with no issue.
Not a big deal for me anyway, I'll just keep using it dome up.

@FarsideOfCrazy yes I normally do it that way too as the grain weight spreads the base out - but this time I did it as per the video.

I have used mine a few times with the dome facing up and no issues
I can measure the lot when i get home tonight for a comparison to see if that is the problem

Okay looks like these are the size,s of my malt pipe ect
Bottom screen dia 318 m/m
Rolled bottom malt pipe minor dia 310 m/m
Malt pipe major dia 320 m/m

B

Okay looks like these are the size,s of my malt pipe ect
Bottom screen dia 318 m/m
Rolled bottom malt pipe minor dia 310 m/m
Malt pipe major dia 320 m/m

B
Thanks bjay I'll check mine when I get back home and post too.

Edit: spoke to the guys at KK today, they are posing the issue to the manufacturer.
Although the American (or Canadian?) guy I spoke to has done an 8 plus kilo grain batch with no issue and base dome down.

oh and ps. @wide eyed and legless thanks for the PRV and helix - looks good!

Last edited:
I’ve done both my brews with the rolled edges up. No grain fell through
Did have a little grain pop around the sides of the top screen

.,..Although the American (or Canadian?) guy I spoke to has done an 8 plus kilo grain batch with no issue and base dome do

He is an American bloke from California. He's really nice and knows his stuff.
When you go in the shop just hang around for a quiet time (it might take some time), then have a chat with him, its worth it.

Just bought myself a 25kg sack of pale ale malt today. Im going to try 15kg in the Guten 50l in the next few days.
Apparently thats the max capacity

He is an American bloke from California. He's really nice and knows his stuff.
When you go in the shop just hang around for a quiet time (it might take some time), then have a chat with him, its worth it.

Just bought myself a 25kg sack of pale ale malt today. Im going to try 15kg in the Guten 50l in the next few days.
Apparently thats the max capacity
Be interested to know how that goes.

I must be blind then..
I asked a simple question: how does Beir Hearder respond to the allegation (that means I didn't ask you WEAL). People are reading these threads for advice on product selection based on quality etc so affiliations need to be disclosed where there's a strong bias and this bias is as strong as it gets.

I must be blind then..
I asked a simple question: how does Beir Hearder respond to the allegation (that means I didn't ask you WEAL). People are reading these threads for advice on product selection based on quality etc so affiliations need to be disclosed where there's a strong bias and this bias is as strong as it gets.
But I asked WHY it is the same for both camps why pick on one? Or are you showing your affiliation?
Coming over here from the other side for the sole purpose of derailing threads is not a good thing.

But I asked WHY it is the same for both camps why pick on one? Or are you showing your affiliation?
It's exactly the same for both camps. If someone were posting continually negative stuff about KegKing and they were called out for being a KegLand staff member, that member would be expected to respond. Just as I expect BH to respond. Note I never claimed he is or isn't, I asked them to simply respond.
Coming over here from the other side for the sole purpose of derailing threads is not a good thing.
It is also not a good thing for a major retailer such as KK creating an account here solely to slag off KL. Again I'm not saying that's true but the claim was made and BH should respond to it.
I came here to keep people honest in this KL vs KK garbage, in the absence of active moderators to keep threads on topic, otherwise people like BH will continue making false claims and generally be an infuriating troll.
I have no affiliation. I like good value. My contribution to the Intertap v Ultratap thread was the only useful one amongst a pile of crap, you yourself didn't help there either may I point out.

This is the GUTEN thread, find somewhere else. No one has to respond to anything, especially here.

I've adopted the absorption (.77) (in options/advanced) and water/grain ratio (2.72) (in mash profile) values recommended for the GF around the place and my water volumes look better in BS3.

It seems to like to calc too much mash water volume otherwise. IMHO this is a BS3 bug because you put the max mash tun volume in, obviously you'd pivot on mash thickness if you are loading more grain, or it wont fit in the container.

Also when my malt pipe fell out it seems I had it in the wrong way :p squinted at the manual a bit harder after WEALs post.

Last edited:
Back