Great Scales For Brewers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanga

Reaction score
http://www.bigw.com.au/home-garden/kitchen...le#BVRRWidgetID

I bought a set of these a couple of weeks back, and tested them against my mother's very expensive set and they are spot on. They go up to 5kg in 1g increments, and if you're following an older, English, or American recipe then being able to switch between imperial and metric is very useful - saves doing a whole lot of conversions, just weight your grain, hops, etc out in pounds / ounces.

Got something similar for $12.00 from Evilbay not expecting much but it works fine except the auto shutdown on the display kicks in real fast so you got to get your ingredients poured out pretty quick.

Most of these cheapo electronic scales seem to be fairly accurate considering the price.

The Big W scales look to be better quality than the elcheapo E-bay products.

Good scales are a great investment, just scored these on eBay
View attachment 43502
0-30,000g X 0.1g only $300 plus the shipping; they are retired Lab prep scales, to replace with new would be over $2.5K so Im very happy. Only got one customer who regularly orders grists over 25 Kg and his tend to be a Bag of... and a couple of kg of specialty. Nice to have one set of scales that can handle the grain and the hops, this is a fairly important point when you are looking for scales. Think about what you have to weigh, the biggest mass, and how accurately you need to weigh. If you are going to be doing bigish 50 litre batches you might need 15Kg capacity, and for hops 1g is generally good enough, for someone only doing 25 L batches 7-10 Kg capacity would be fine.
Good scales are an investment will worth putting some thought into.
MHB

My set works a treat for double batches :lol:

Scales.jpg

http://www.bigw.com.au/home-garden/kitchen...le#BVRRWidgetID

I bought a set of these a couple of weeks back, and tested them against my mother's very expensive set and they are spot on. They go up to 5kg in 1g increments, and if you're following an older, English, or American recipe then being able to switch between imperial and metric is very useful - saves doing a whole lot of conversions, just weight your grain, hops, etc out in pounds / ounces.

Are they also accurate with very small measures? It'd be handy because the set i use at the moment don't like more than 1.5kg at a time.

Latest posts

Back