• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Great Font Sale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ayone know the OD of the threaded section that mounts the 6 tap fonts? I am planninig on converting the chesty over the weekend ready for the new font :super:

cheers Brad

Really sorry to drag up a zombie thread but I'm desperate! I have a font like number 5 that's missing the threaded part. I've called andale and they don't seem to know what the deal is or how to help, and it's not a 40mm BSP thread, and 45 mm would be too big.
Does anyone know what size thread it needs?
Also, I tried running water through the glycol lines and it didn't leak. Could someone please explain why these cant be flooded without that bottom bit?

and it's not a 40mm BSP thread, and 45 mm would be too big.

How are you measuring what size thread it is? Remeber that BSP measurements are the ID of the pipe, so the size of the thread is actually bigger. Is it a 42mm hole? If so, its actually 32mm BSP

BSP Thread Sizes

32 BSP is too small unfortunately. 1 1/2 inch looks like it is the right size but the thread is too big and won't catch. Hole measures 45-46 mm

image.jpg

Really sorry to drag up a zombie thread but I'm desperate! I have a font like number 5 that's missing the threaded part. I've called andale and they don't seem to know what the deal is or how to help, and it's not a 40mm BSP thread, and 45 mm would be too big.
Does anyone know what size thread it needs?
Also, I tried running water through the glycol lines and it didn't leak. Could someone please explain why these cant be flooded without that bottom bit?
No need to apologise. I am a huge fan of the resurrected thread.
Maybe you could contact MHB by pm? He is a plumber by trade and has excellent knowledge of all things related to beer.

He may be busy, so don't expect an immediate reply

Thanks, sent a pm. Failing that I think it's time to weld some studs to it / drill some holes through it / fabricate a collar. Although If I melt the hoses I'm pretty sure it's all over - the 6 taps would be hard to replace the lines.

If I could just solve this issue then it will be able to take its place as the centrepiece of a 700L keezer.

Thanks, sent a pm. Failing that I think it's time to weld some studs to it / drill some holes through it / fabricate a collar. Although If I melt the hoses I'm pretty sure it's all over - the 6 taps would be hard to replace the lines.

If I could just solve this issue then it will be able to take its place as the centrepiece of a 700L keezer.

Just a thought mate, would some teflon tape do the trick??

Just a thought mate, would some teflon tape do the trick??

Cheers, but the trouble is that the thread is too big/coarse, rather than too small/fine.

Took it to a couple of places - one shop confirmed with a gauge that it wasn't a normal thread (NPT, BSP etc) Next I took it to an engineering place, they said they could cut that thread onto a bit of pipe. Approximate cost $200.

Messaged Bradsbrew who bought one in the same state as this, he said he sold it on without mounting it.

Also, I realised that there is a '5' written on the base of it in texta - maybe I have been handed the one he sold! The font of doom. Seriously, this is some jumanji nonsense.

Since it's rubbish anyway, I'm probably going to try to drill some holes to mount some studs. If I stuff it, then it's stuffed.

Can you get a male thread welded onto the bottom of it?

I'd be guessing its not BSP - from memory I went to a plumbing place an found a BSP locknut, and had it tapped out with the correct thread. Cost about $20 or just find someone with a lathe and pay them in beer.

Cheers

Can you get a male thread welded onto the bottom of it?

That was my preference but I would have to remove all the lines to do that - seems like it would be a mission as someone has sweat the joints on - would need a torch to get the base off, as well as the caps - and it's probably too tight in there to use a joiner to pull the new lines through.

I'd be guessing its not BSP - from memory I went to a plumbing place an found a BSP locknut, and had it tapped out with the correct thread. Cost about $20 or just find someone with a lathe and pay them in beer.

Cheers

Definitely not BSP :) The quote I got to cut the thread onto the outside of some pipe was around $200.

So I have bought some taps and a nice new drill bit and I'm going to make 6 1/4 inch studs and a piece of stainless plate to receive them - I'll start a build thread with pics if it works!

Also, thanks to everyone for the suggestions, it's very much appreciated.

you want the threaded bit?
Sounds like you need the following:

Cobra Nipple Tube 1-1/2 BSP
Kinkco Nut 1-1/2BSP
Flanged Back Nut 1-1/2 BSP
Washer Galv F/Font
Flooding adaptor 2 way

cobra tube treads into the fount (on mine it was braised into place)
cobra tube threads through the bench (and drip tray)
galv washer goes on then the flanged nut to clamp the fount to the bench

then the insert goes into the fount with the internal tubes connected to the barbs
then the kinkco nut retains the insert in place

Messaged Bradsbrew who bought one in the same state as this, he said he sold it on without mounting it.

Also, I realised that there is a '5' written on the base of it in texta - maybe I have been handed the one he sold! The font of doom. Seriously, this is some jumanji nonsense.

I sold mine to someone in Perth a fair while ago.

Cheers

you want the threaded bit?
Sounds like you need the following:

Cobra Nipple Tube 1-1/2 BSP

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated :) This one's got some weird thread on it - took it to reece, tradelink and an engineering workshop and it definitely wasn't BSP. Some unc/unf thing. It's too late now, I've done the deed and put the studs into it. Looks like it will work too!

I sold mine to someone in Perth a fair while ago.

Cheers

What are the odds of me finding this thread years later! Pretty stoked that the font has a backstory.

Latest posts

Back