Grain Mill Motor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewQLD

RED ON WHITE IPA
Reaction score
Stumbling around on the net today looking for a motor for my mill and I came across these Mill Motor .

I don't really know anything about torque ect and I would appreciate some advice as to the suitability of these for running my MonsterMill.

I know I could go with a large motor and pulley system but I like things simple and these look the goods.
Advice is much appreciated.

BlueM__Large_.jpg
Power - 80 watts (nominal)
Max Power - 144 watts
Torque - 45 kg/cm
Shaft Speed - 175 RPM
Gear Ratio - 1:15
Permanent Magnet + Brushes
12 volt operation
No-load current - 0.6 amp
Loaded current - 12 amps (typical for heavy load)
Weight 2 kgs
Gearbox - Grease-filled with all metal mixed helical and spur gears
Application Data and Drawings
Electronic speed controllers
AUD $129

G'day Andrew. What type of mill do you have ? From my research, on motors for my mill, this model will not have enough torque. At 80 watts it's well under powered for your task.

G'day Andrew. What type of mill do you have ? From my research, on motors for my mill, this model will not have enough torque. At 80 watts it's well under powered for your task.

It's a MonsterMill Razz.

Cheers
Andrew

Stumbling around on the net today looking for a motor for my mill and I came across these Mill Motor .

I don't really know anything about torque ect and I would appreciate some advice as to the suitability of these for running my MonsterMill.

I know I could go with a large motor and pulley system but I like things simple and these look the goods.
Advice is much appreciated.

View attachment 17882
Power - 80 watts (nominal)
Max Power - 144 watts
Torque - 45 kg/cm
Shaft Speed - 175 RPM
Gear Ratio - 1:15
Permanent Magnet + Brushes
12 volt operation
Weight 2 kgs
Gearbox - Grease-filled with all metal mixed helical and spur gears
Application Data and Drawings
Electronic speed controllers
AUD $129

At roughly 1/10th Horsepower I doubt it would have enough grunt Andrew.

Screwy

Edit: Hang on - at 15:1 ratio that just might work and the shaft speed would make pully selection easy (1:1).

12 volt operation

Hey AndrewQLD

Dunno about the torque side of these - other people are better at that stuff than me.

12A @ 12V is a fairly hefty amount of current. How are you going to power this?

Cheers
Peter

Hey AndrewQLD

Dunno about the torque side of these - other people are better at that stuff than me.

Cheers
Peter

Hi Peter,
I've got a bench top power supply rated to 30v @ 10 amps, but to be honest I didn't notice it used up to 12 amps. Guess I better keep looking.

Screwy,
At roughly 1/10th Horsepower I doubt it would have enough grunt Andrew.

Screwy

Edit: Hang on - at 15:1 ratio that just might work and the shaft speed would make pully selection easy (1:1).

That was what I was thinking too, but I don't want to fork out for something that might be under powered.

Cheers
Andrew

You could check out CMG motors and gearboxs.They combine CMG motor and Varvel gear boxs to any torque and rpm.Sorry no linky thing but they are all over Australia.I have one for my mill.still to be mounted.Could be a bulk buy.
GB

would make a good mash stirrer but!!!

Try Oatley Electronics. Many good looking motors including a pre-gearboxed jobbie that is used to run electric pushbikes... that'd have to have plenty of grunt.

Thirsty

I crushed my grain with a 65W motor for several years with satisfactory results except time. It typically took about 15 minutes to crush 5kg of grain, but remember, it takes longer than that to heat your water so it doesnt cost you time. The current draw was usually around 5 or 6 watts and occasionally reached 8 to 9 watts with a hard grain. my roller speed was nominally 80rpm but of course dropped under load (maybe 25%), but the rollers are 200mm long X 50mm dia. so I was asking a lot. Your rollers are probably only 75mm long so you could run your speed 1 to 1 for similar results.
Whilst not recommending it, you can get more HP out of a 12V DC motor by pumping in a few more volts. Double the voltage and you'll double the speed. The practicality of this depends on the robustness of the motor and the duty cycle. If you are using a battery charger, flick it up to 24V and see how it runs. If you can get 5 minutes out of it before it gets too hot, it may be OK. I run a 12 V motor at 24 V on my mash tun when doughing in but it is only for a couple of minutes.

Hey AndrewQLD

Cheers
Peter
Computer power supplies these days give plenty of amps at 12V. You can generally pick up a used one at swap-meets, etc for $10-20.
I think there'd be plenty more info on regarding this option, as others have used such supplies for powering Peltier devices, etc.

Thanks for all the advice guys, keep it coming please.

Now looking at this geared motor used for powering push bikes (thanks Thirsty Boy)
sc250g.jpg
24VDC operation
Rated speed: 320 RPM
250 Watts
Nominal Torque: 7.46 Nm
Measures: 110mm Dia. x 115mm L (+ shaft)

I can reduce the voltage on this if I need to slow the mill down a tad, but somehow I don't tink I will need to.

The torque is what I am worried about, does anyone have any idea if 7.46Nm would keep the mill crushing? I don't intend to start the mill full of grain.

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew I reckon if it could propel a bike and it's human cargo it should have more than enough torque.

How do you plan to mate it to the mill shaft? Looks like you may need couplers of some form. Or do you plan on rigging some form of chain drive?

Warren -

Andrew I reckon if it could propel a bike and it's human cargo it should have more than enough torque.

How do you plan to mate it to the mill shaft? Looks like you may need couplers of some form. Or do you plan on rigging some form of chain drive?

Warren -

I was hoping to use a spider coupler, I've got one on my other mill and it works very well.

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew

Not sure if you've seen this site. Gives more details and performance specs (torque under load) of the motor in question.

Here

Warren -

I was hoping to use a spider coupler, I've got one on my other mill and it works very well.

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew if it's the Jaycar ones (like I used on my Marga) they may not be able to be bored out sufficiently to fit the Monster's 3/8 shaft.

RobW is undertaking a similar situation to you with his Monster Mill. He bought a more heavy-duty set of couplers and they were even able to custom bore them. He may be able to guide you further?

Edit: typooooooos

Warren -

Andrew

Not sure if you've seen this site. Gives more details and performance specs (torque under load) of the motor in question.

Here

Warren -

Thanks Warren, that helps a lot, looks like the torque might not be a problem.

Andrew

An update on motors and drills for those looking for some grunt. Home Hardware in Vic have a catalogue out at the moment advertising an "Xceed" brand of Impact drill, 810 watt, variable speed, lock on switch, aly gearbox with forward/reverse. $49.99. Bunnings have in stock an Ozito 850 watt hammer drill with variable speed, forward/reverse for $55. Looking at both drills they appear to have the speed control bezel at the trigger. :p

Back