Grain Mill Motor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the advice guys, keep it coming please.

Now looking at this geared motor used for powering push bikes (thanks Thirsty Boy)
View attachment 17913
24VDC operation
Rated speed: 320 RPM
250 Watts
Nominal Torque: 7.46 Nm
Measures: 110mm Dia. x 115mm L (+ shaft)

I can reduce the voltage on this if I need to slow the mill down a tad, but somehow I don't tink I will need to.

The torque is what I am worried about, does anyone have any idea if 7.46Nm would keep the mill crushing? I don't intend to start the mill full of grain.

Cheers
Andrew

This motor works a treat, connected up to my 12 V boat battery it ripped through 4 kilo pale malt in 1.5 minutes, didn't even slow down as I filled the hopper up to full. It was very easy to mount to the side of an old cabinet I was saving for my mill as well. sc250g.jpg

system_003__Large_.jpgsystem_004__Small_.jpg

Cheers
Andrew

This motor works a treat, connected up to my 12 V boat battery it ripped through 4 kilo pale malt in 1.5 minutes, didn't even slow down as I filled the hopper up to full. It was very easy to mount to the side of an old cabinet I was saving for my mill as well.View attachment 18035

View attachment 18033View attachment 18034

Cheers
Andrew

Hi Andrew

That set up looks good, nice and easy. What coupler did you use to join the mill shaft to the the motor ??

cheers

nifty

Hi Nifty,

I used a Jaycar spider Coupler, drilled out both sides to fit the mill shaft and motor shaft. Very easy way to connect them together for the "not so handy" like me.

Cheers
Andrew

Hi Nifty,

I used a Jaycar spider Coupler, drilled out both sides to fit the mill shaft and motor shaft. Very easy way to connect them together for the "not so handy" like me.

Cheers
Andrew

Thanks Andrew, that sounds like a nice, easy solution to getting the mill motorised.

I suppose 1 of those rechargeable 12v battery packs from supacheap would work as well as a normal battery to power it.

nifty

I tried that initially nifty, it turned the mill slowly and tended to stall whan the hopper was full, I don't think there is enough current draw with the charger. When I connected the battery the mill started up very easily even with the hopper still 1/2 full of grain. At 12 volts the mill was probably doing 150 rpm which is more than fast enought to empty my 2 kilo hopper in under a minute. These motors have more than enough torque.

Cheers
Andrew

I tried that initially nifty, it turned the mill slowly and tended to stall whan the hopper was full, I don't think there is enough current draw with the charger. When I connected the battery the mill started up very easily even with the hopper still 1/2 full of grain. At 12 volts the mill was probably doing 150 rpm which is more than fast enought to empty my 2 kilo hopper in under a minute. These motors have more than enough torque.

Cheers
Andrew

Ah, ok. I was thinking of using 1 of these -

2664_jump_start_117x132.jpg

It's a 1200 amp battery charger. I was thinking it woud have enough oomph to run the motor.

Ah, ok. I was thinking of using 1 of these -

View attachment 18036

It's a 1200 amp battery charger. I was thinking it woud have enough oomph to run the motor.

That's not the one I used so it could well do the job, are you sure it's 1200 amp and not 1200mah? that seems awefully high.

Cheers
Andrew

Nice Andrew!!

Good, safe arrangement too. No scary pulleys to catch yer bits in. :lol:

Warren -

If anyone in Perth is still looking for the scary pulley option I saw the following listing on Freecycle Perth
37109 OFFER : 4 Electric motors. Kelmscott.
I have 4 electric motors I no longer need. 2 are 240V washing machine
motors. A 240V motor complete with what appears to be a relay of some
sort. Last is, I believe, a 12V motor of unknown origin. Take 1 or all
4, the choice is yours. Patrick.

Cheers
Doug

Some good news for anyone looking for a reasonable priced drill for their mill. Bunnings Mornington selling XU1 500watt variable speed hammer drill for $15.88. Also saw a pallet of GMC platinum range rotary hammer drills knocked down to $49 each, looked like a local deal only. I think they are 850 watt or larger.

I think the 850 watt or bigger would be better. I use a 500 watter power drill and its fine but lacks the torque to go very slow. A few more watts would not go astray.

Steve

I just bought a $29 Ozito variable speed hammer drill 1/2" chuck from Bunnings, checked the RPM and at the lowest setting it sits on 190-200 RPM.

Has any one used a car starter motor to run a grian mill?

It would do it but the problem is that car starter motors aren't supposed to be used for more then a few seconds, ie. to get the car started. If you keep one cranking for a while it may burn out very quickly.

But if it's not under much load it might work... :unsure:

Some good news for anyone looking for a reasonable priced drill for their mill. Bunnings Mornington selling XU1 500watt variable speed hammer drill for $15.88. Also saw a pallet of GMC platinum range rotary hammer drills knocked down to $49 each, looked like a local deal only. I think they are 850 watt or larger.
i killed a xu1 on the day of the braggot brew day.

Hi guys just got given this motor brand new and it's a fan motor for an airconditioner. Not sure of the rpm does anyone know if this will work? It's capacitor start as well but the cap needs to be wired into the circuit.

DSC_0182_resize.JPG

I just bought a $29 Ozito variable speed hammer drill 1/2" chuck from Bunnings, checked the RPM and at the lowest setting it sits on 190-200 RPM.

I just got one for $34. awesome! Doesnt skip a beat drilling a whole 6kg batch.

Ok how do you work out it's 300w?

I think I've worked out that HP = V x I / 746
which equals 220V x 1.35A / 746 = .4HP

I'm trying to run a 2 roller monster mill and they say on the website that I need minium 1/4 HP so I should have enough.

Are my calcs correct?

thanks guys

Latest posts

Back