Grain Mill Motor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok how do you work out it's 300w?

i don't know from the picture it looks like 75w which is too low for a grain mill. i think the most common power rating is about 500w or 3/4 hp as mentioned above drill motors are about that power and provides starting good torque.

cheer's matho

I think I've worked out that HP = V x I / 746
which equals 220V x 1.35A / 746 = .4HP

I'm trying to run a 2 roller monster mill and they say on the website that I need minium 1/4 HP so I should have enough.

Are my calcs correct?

thanks guys

yeah mate your calcs are correct.

I have a 2 roller monster and just burned out a 650 watt power drill, unless you have some sort of gearing i doubt it will mill grain

p.s. watts= v x i = 230 x 1.35 = 310 watts

Paul

thanks Paul,

still learning as I know nothing of motor requirements. I've worked out that its 1500rpm as well so it would need some pulleys to get to the right speed, is this what you mean by it being geared?

thanks Paul,

still learning as I know nothing of motor requirements. I've worked out that its 1500rpm as well so it would need some pulleys to get to the right speed, is this what you mean by it being geared?

yeah mate, I have one of the motors AndrewQld spoke about now, work great, $60 off ebay

Paul

not really my area but it looks small fro a 1/2hp. I think the 1.35A might be the max draw at startup and the 75W is the continuous power. thats 0.1hp

power in does not equal power out you have losses inside the motor like bearings and iron losses
at best in a small motor like that you'll get 75% output. i personally would not go off volts and current on the label, the current could be at stall or for protective devices. i have just finished motorising my mill i used a 550w drill motor running a 2600 rpm the chuck is connect to a 3in pully, the belt is then connected to a planetary gearbox out of a hover washing machine turns the rollers at 200 rpm my mill has 2in rollers that are 200mm wide so if your mill is smaller you might not need as bigger motor.
all the best , maybe keep an eye out for an old top loading washing machine with a central aggitator

cheer's matho

my motor is 1/2hp, it'll set u back about 150 fins for one like it

DSC_0003.JPG

glaab,
that is a smick looking setup mine looks very diy

cheer's matho

Sweet looking setup there glaab. Where did you source the motor and what are hte specs

I see they've bumped it up to $205. It was retail $190 but the guy let me have it for $130 IIRC.
The guy here seemed pretty flexible. Another AHBer here paid $110. If you get one I think I have a spare slotted foot mount plate, [to slide motor/ adj belt]
I found it in the workshop after I made mine, just need to check it fits, it'll cost you freight.

http://www.roycecross.com.au/product_list/...le&Variable[ProductCodeID]=S-37B6CREMX

After doing some research and thoroughly confusing myself... I have bought one of the Oatley 250w motors, and am trying to use it to power my 3 roller monster mill . I have it running with an X-Box 360 power supply, which is 12v and 14 amp.
Previously I was running with a two speed drill with no drama. With this new motor and power supply I can feed a slow trickle without the mill stalling.

I realise I need more torque to turn the mill, but cannot quite get my head around how this relates to volts and current. If I get a 24v 10 amp power supply, will the mill perform better?

After doing some research and thoroughly confusing myself... I have bought one of the Oatley 250w motors, and am trying to use it to power my 3 roller monster mill . I have it running with an X-Box 360 power supply, which is 12v and 14 amp.
Previously I was running with a two speed drill with no drama. With this new motor and power supply I can feed a slow trickle without the mill stalling.

I realise I need more torque to turn the mill, but cannot quite get my head around how this relates to volts and current. If I get a 24v 10 amp power supply, will the mill perform better?

Hey potof4x it does sound like your power supply isnt giving enough amps, the reason Andrews works so well is that he is using a car battery which can supply a heck of alot of current. If you have that 24v 10 amp supply then give it a go, the only problem with the 24v supply is that the motor will spin faster, the other option is to get a car battery and a charger and use that but that could be an expensive option

Cheers matho

I have a 2 roller monster mill and I'm also running it with an Oatley 250w motor. I bought a power supply off ebay which is 240v10ampAC input (plugs straight into a normal power socket) and puts out 12v10ampDC. It works a treat. I've never had the motor stall even slightly, even when I dump a whole bucket load of grain straight into the hopper.
I would've thought with a 12v 14amp power supply the 250w DC motor would be able to draw enough power to run at max torque. Maybe the Oatley 250w motor just dosen't have enough torque to power a 3 roller mill.

I don't know your motor but if its a 12V 250W your going to need a better PSU than the Xbox as that is only going to give you 168 watts of power max to the motor.
You would need a 21 amp or more PSU to run that motor at 100%.

Cheers for the replies. Was not prepared for the additional load of the 3 roller when compared to the 2 rollers I've seen setup on here. Am trying to keep the mill portable, but happy to experiment with batteries for now.

Will try them out tomorrow and report back.

Cheers for the replies. Was not prepared for the additional load of the 3 roller when compared to the 2 rollers I've seen setup on here. Am trying to keep the mill portable, but happy to experiment with batteries for now.

Will try them out tomorrow and report back.

Off topic a little here but how do you find the 3- roller as compared to the two - roller?

r

I've also got an Oatley 250w, but only running from an old computer PSU 12v 8amps. When I first looked at the speed of the rollers, compared to my 18v cordless drill, I thought it was too slow. But it crushes pretty quickly, does a 5kg batch in about 2min 30secs. So even when Im doing a 100L batch thats only about 10mins to crush the grain. If it took twice this long I would not be concerned. Ive been thinking of trying it back on the 5v rail from the PSU. AndrewQld also no longer uses a battery; he is now using a power supply.

When you say you one runs to slow/ worried of stalling have you tried loading it up and crushing a batch?

I would not go 24v, your mill will run at twice the speed compared to 12v, it is directly proportional with DC. At 12v you have 160rpm which is great; at 24v you will get the manufacturers spec of 320rpm. I did however run my MM2 for 18months from an 18v cordless which runs at 350rpm in its low range, the crush was nowhere as good as the lower speed.

QldKev

Hi all

For those using the Oatley motor with the Monster Mill 2, can anyone advise if the Oatley would be better suited to the 1/2 inch shaft the the MM2 can be upgraded to?

Any tips on using the PSU would also be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Mr W

Latest posts

Back