Grain Mill & KK Motor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wimmig

Reaction score
I know many threads exist for mill questions, but I need some help with the below decision / setup ability.

I'm going to buy a mill, and would like to mount a motor to it (I considered a hand crank for about 1min). Looking at the monster mill mm2-2.0 as a preference (got the allocated cash, why not I think). Though I would like to mount a motor such as the KK direct drive unit I've seen hooked up to a maltmuncher.

Preferring to not have to stuff around too much would I be best to go with one of the maltmuncher units & use the motor or could I go down the route of using the motor with the mm2-2.0 combo? Would the increased load on the motor be a ticking time bomb? Or is there another solid mill I should be looking at (millmaster?).

MM2-2.0:
http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/mm-220.html

KK parts list for motor & maltmuncher
http://www.kegking.com.au/Downloads/Catalogue%20-%20Retail%20Price%20List.pdf

Not answering your question. I see in the latest stupid cheap catalog they have a 300W drill press for 70bux.

Not bad for motor, two pulleys and a belt. Cost me 20 for my belt, I was lucky to have the rest on hand.

I don't think 300W would be enough
my 600W hammer drill struggles at low speeds
I know reducing the load with pulleys will help, but still I don't think it'd be enough

Mine is 370w and runs through a 10:1 gearbox, so runs about 140 rpm. Never had any issues with it crushing grain. Starts under full hopper no problems.

Edit: I have a Monster Mill 2.0. Motor is 1/2 hp (370W) 240V single phase running thought right angle gearbox.

I'm space constrained and need to keep this simple. The idea being the mill & motor being connected via direct drive on a single board unit.

This way I can click off the hopper and store it easily between batches. Something like the pic below

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1408537784.440134.jpg

I think i've narrowed this down to 2 main options, those being either the MM2.0-MM or the MillMaster Mini. I like the idea of the solid frame sides from the mini. Does anybody have direct experience with the 2 or would recommend one over the other? For what it's worth i would get the SS rollers on the MM2.0-MM if i went that road.

I've read some experiences from people and some leaning towards the mini even though they owned a 2.0.

Latest posts

Back