Good yeast for a porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimT

Reaction score
I love dark beers, porters and stouts, and have got plans for a number this year. But a look through my books last year at the final gravity figures (don't ask - please don't - it's too embarrassing) tells me that I'm not getting the yeast to do quite as much work as it should.

Now this comes down to a number of things, I'm sure: the mash would affect it (I'm working on it - I think my mash technique is improving). Fermentation temps may have been another thing. But I also suspect I'd get better, stronger, more flavourful porters by changing yeasts. Last year I stuck mostly with the Brew Cellar English Ale yeast.

So! Throw your favourite porter yeasts at me! (Holds out hat to accept any and all donations of a yeasty kind).

Thanks for the suggestions! Should also have said that I prefer dry yeasts since I generally brew in smaller quantities though of course I could always scale up..... if I wanted my house to be absolutely overrun by beer bottles (as if it isn't already)....

1469 - is good.
Dry yeast, pick any ale yeast and you wont be far away.
A lot of people here dont like S04, but I dont mind it for a Porter. I have also used Nottingham and US05. Sort of depends on the recipe, but any of these will suffice.
Cheers
LB

I've used S04, seems to be one of the most common ones. I'd like to give Nottingham a go.

Liquid yeast is good if you brew in smaller quantities. Get fresh yeast and you won't need a starter. Keep bottles of slurry in the fridge for subsequent brews. A yeast like 1469 is quite versatile.

In Wyeast, west yorkshire, Denny's Favourite, 1056, would be my picks for bigger Porters. I also use Nottingham in dry yeast for a few recipes including browns, robust, Baltics and Imperials.

for most of the lower ABV Browns, i just use the same - BC English/s04 and occassionally Nottingham, US05 or M44 for lower ester levels.

I've been impressed with the flavours brought out by Belle Saison in the saisons I've been brewing this summer. I know similar flavours wouldn't work in porters and stouts, and wouldn't expect them to even show through because of the strong maltiness and the bitterness of the dark malts, but I'm certainly interested in seeing what distinctive tastes yeasts can bring to the darker beers.

I guess I'm looking for a yeast that is strong and will last the distance, give a fairly clean ferment but perhaps create some interesting stuff that will work with the porter. Peppery and spicy flavours, perhaps.

I tried the Wyeast 1968 London ESB in the porter I've just kegged. Came out pretty good. Left it sitting for another week after reaching the FG because apparently it can suffer from Diacetyl production if not left long enough.

Depending on how you like your porters, I've found that the Irish Ale yeasts (WY 1084...& I forget the other one...?) are good, strong & clean fermenters, but you need to give them some dextrins to play-with for any long-term storage, or else everything gets rather "dry".

WY 1028 (London) is also a good one. A little "flinty/minerally", but a lot also comes down to water chemistry there.

Since you're in Melbourne (with soft water), you could always go for a Scottish-style porter (very-much malt-driven) & use a Scottish ale yeast (clean & good at low temp's over winter).

I'll shut-up now..... :p

kalbarluke said:
Was the 1968 in the porter really (or overly) sweet?
Hard to say because my porter came out a bit stoutish. I'm cutting the black malt out of the recipe and so next time I think I'll be able to tell if the yeast makes it overly sweet.
I wonder if I use1469 as a comparison to 1968 and see if there's much difference.

W1728. Handles big beers and loves low ferm temp. Gives a slight tartness.

w1728Scottish....I love you..

Back