Good yeast for a porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TimT said:
......But a look through my books last year at the final gravity figures (don't ask - please don't - it's too embarrassing) tells me that I'm not getting the yeast to do quite as much work as it should......

TimT said:
..........Should also have said that I prefer dry yeasts.............
If it's attenuation you're after from a dry yeast, then Nottingham should be your first port(er) of call. If Nottingham doesn't get the job done, then it's time to look for problems elsewhere.

One.... seven.... two.... eight.... one.... seven.... two.... eight.....

Oh sorry, just watching Hypnotoad.... Thanks for the advice everyone!

TimT said:
I've been impressed with the flavours brought out by Belle Saison in the saisons I've been brewing this summer. I know similar flavours wouldn't work in porters and stouts, and wouldn't expect them to even show through because of the strong maltiness and the bitterness of the dark malts, but I'm certainly interested in seeing what distinctive tastes yeasts can bring to the darker beers.

I guess I'm looking for a yeast that is strong and will last the distance, give a fairly clean ferment but perhaps create some interesting stuff that will work with the porter. Peppery and spicy flavours, perhaps.
I made a stout using the Wyeast Belgian Saison 3724 last year and really enjoyed the mix of the saison characters and the roastyness. I reckon you should give it a go.

Heh, you know I made a porter recently using some saison yeast but made the mistake of using wormwood in large quantities to flavour. It flavoured it all right..... (Tip to folks who want to use wormwood as a bittering herb..... don't. Or use it in small quantities to get a little character, but not too much character).

Danstar Windsor has done the job for me in the past,....well, when I say 'done the job', its actually a lazy little *******, but I like the taste of lazy in a porter

WLP 002, nice residual sweetness and seems to accentuate malt character nicely, I've tried it in English Brown Ales and Porters and had success.

That suggestion is just prepostoromyces.

Porter is a great style to try different yeasts. One of my favs to brew. So versitial

Personally I would work on grain & hops before yeast.

So many yeasts can work in a good Porter.

Dave70 said:
Brettanomyces ...
I've got my first brett porter almost ready to bottle. 1.070 starting, and added brett b at 1.020. Have since added rum soaked French oak chips and various dregs from such beers as cantillon and boon Kriek. Sitting at 1.009 so might bottle soon in champagne bottles and no priming sugar. Will give it a year then try

Back