Going electric, some advice?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pist

Reaction score
Hey all

I've got a 100L craftbrewer pot that i do full volume double biab batches in, that is currently fired by a campfire megajet nasa burner. Since putting the rig together, my wife fell pregnant and now have a 3 month old son. Going forward, i am thinking about his safety when he is old enough to be running about, hence why I am considering switching to elecric (that and gas consumption is ridiculous). I rent so a 15A circuit is out, but my shed is on a dedicated circuit (the sub board for the shed has its own rcd on it, and I've got an outdoor power point that i can run an extension cord to on the house circuit. 2 of The new generation keg king elements would give me 4400W in tje double batch pot. Will this be enough? Any other tips?

Cheers

Another option is to get an over the side immersion heater (in addition to one built in element) and run that from the extension cord from the house. Gives you some flexibility and one less hole to drill. You'd also be able to do single batches as well.

Electric urns push 2000 - 2400 which is fine for single batches, so anything over 4000 should be adequate. Whatever way you go it will pay for itself as gas isn't cheap.

I'm not sure if that would be safer. As a parent I just make sure junior isn nowhere near the brew gear, as he is still to young to appreciate the danger.

I would have to agree completely there, and i wasn't suggesting i would allow him near it. He most certainly won't be anywhere near the gear to begin with but any reduction in risk has to be worth it right? Bribie nailed it with the other reason, its costing a bomb to fire the burner a few batches and some bbqs in between and the gas is gone again

Have to agree with above, I've been down both roads. I do feel the 'stand' that comes with the burner doesn't instill any confidence. I am currently using an all electric brauclone(same CB pot), though I will be returning to 3v in the future and both kettle and hlt will be gas. The gas burners I'm looking at will have that same kind of stand my plan is to cut the legs off them and weld into a 2" box steal brew stand. I'll be designing the stand to be a good 4-8" wider that the biggest kettle to ensure stability.
Hope that helps.

Apparently they have been improved alot. They must be ok if craftbrewer sell them im led to believe ross is pretty critical when it comes to poor quality products

Latest posts

Back