Ginger beer FG

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

Timezero

Reaction score
G'day,

Apologies I've posted this in the wrong section.

Basically I've had an attempt at my first ginger beer, and I'm a little unsure about what's going on in relation to FG.

The GB has been fermenting for two weeks, just the odd bubble here n there in the airlock.

Now I've tested the brew with a hydrometer as the bubbles are far and few and appear to have a .990, I also note what appears to be a real winey smell.

I also forgot to test the SG at the start so I don't have a starting point to begin with, live n learn I guess!

The ingredients were as follows.

1kg fresh ginger
3 lemons juiced
5kg white sugar
Ginger beer yeast was used (mad Milli)
And topped up to 23L in the fermenter.

Basically boiled and strained the ginger and lemon, then into fermenter, topped up with water to 23L and 25deg and pitched yeast.

Is the FG normal? Have I screwed up?.

Thanks.

wildwhitty

Reaction score
G'day,

Apologies I've posted this in the wrong section.

Basically I've had an attempt at my first ginger beer, and I'm a little unsure about what's going on in relation to FG.

The GB has been fermenting for two weeks, just the odd bubble here n there in the airlock.

Now I've tested the brew with a hydrometer as the bubbles are far and few and appear to have a .990, I also note what appears to be a real winey smell.

I also forgot to test the SG at the start so I don't have a starting point to begin with, live n learn I guess!

The ingredients were as follows.

1kg fresh ginger
3 lemons juiced
5kg white sugar
Ginger beer yeast was used (mad Milli)
And topped up to 23L in the fermenter.

Basically boiled and strained the ginger and lemon, then into fermenter, topped up with water to 23L and 25deg and pitched yeast.

Is the FG normal? Have I screwed up?.

Thanks.
Seems Ok. My last GB stopped at 0994.

Gaz1111

Reaction score
Hi all, Just came across this.
My original SG was 1.025
I had added yeast to a small jug prior and it was working fine. Added to main brew and it seemed to be bubbling but I wouldn't say going off by any means, but was cloudy and seemed to be okay. Its only been 5 days since putting it down (kingsleys receipe) and its pretty clear and no bubbles. Checked FG and it was just under 1.000 ( didn't take too much notice as I thought my hygrometer was stuffed).
Could it be possible that it's ready? Would it benefit from me trying to see if I can put some more yeast in and see if it starts again, although the FG seems to tell me it's ready?
Will it be okay to leave it for a bit before bottling?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Gaz

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm really trying to find out what home brew ginger beer tastes like? Can it resemble Bundaburge GB or is it like a spice Cider. I like GB and so does the missus but we like it sweet rather than tart. It doesn't necessarily have to be alcoholic but it does need to be carbonated and I'd like to make 20 odd litres at a time advice is really needed. Thanks

beergee

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm really trying to find out what home brew ginger beer tastes like? Can it resemble Bundaburge GB or is it like a spice Cider. I like GB and so does the missus but we like it sweet rather than tart. It doesn't necessarily have to be alcoholic but it does need to be carbonated and I'd like to make 20 odd litres at a time advice is really needed. Thanks
I made the one with the Morgans kit and a whole bunch of adjuncts like fresh ginger, chillies, ginger cordial, vermouth etc and the flat metallic artificial sweetener taste still comes through.

It's still sitting in the keg as I'm trying to work up the strength to dump it since it was quite pricey to make.

Reaction score
Yes the more I read the less inclined I am to go for a kit GB. The artificial taste is definitely what I'm trying to avoid. I don't like it in cordials so won't like it in GB. I would like to bottle it so am thinking my only option is to make it non alcoholic unless there is another way.