Ghetto Grain Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crusty said:
I think you'll be ok, but as I said before, don't open your ball valve full throttle when doing a vorlauf in your case.
Just take it easy & open your ball valve slightly & open it up a bit more when your pretty sure it won't get stuck.
I've had a few stuck sparges with my old igloo cooler mashtun when being a bit too rushed. It's a bitch when you get one but it's not the end of the day either.
I think from memory I just did a single pass @0.9mm & it was perfectly fine on most occasions. I'm crushing much wider open now with the BM & the MiniMill & happily sitting @79% brewhouse efficiency.
Out of interest, what's your gap size Crusty? I need to tweak the minimill after increasing the rpm and wondering what people are running. Mines set to about 1.1mm but I was running at 60rpm originally.

Hey Camo.
Mine is at 1.1mm as well. I'm just using the Ozito drill with my minimill & my rpm is up & down the entire crush. I try to keep it at the same speed though, as slow as I can.

Cheers for that Crusty. I think I need to put a door on my new arrangement as at 180rpm its creating a lot more mess than the old setup.

Nice setup too James. If you've still got whole grains getting through give one or two a gentle pinch. If they don't crumble easily you may need to adjust the gap or speed to suit.

Dont forget that the smaller the roller diameter, the slower you need to go

Ok, I milled grain for my next batch. It is a lot finer than I am used to from HBS. I want to give it a go and see how the sparge is. If it gets stuck can I just throw in some Rice hulls then?

1428404355983.jpg

1428404386391.jpg

Thanks for your feedback everybody. Today I brewed 2 American Ales using grain milled @ 0.9mm. It took a little bit of encouraging to get flow started, but once it was going it was all good.... plus my efficiency has gone from 60% with home brew milled grain to 75%.

Cheers
James

next time try the grain wetting method.

Gives you better husks and a slight increase with eff%

Even just playing with gap and speed will give you different results

You need to tune your crush to your system

labels said:
1. Not all malts have the same size and shape grains. Some are long and skinny, others are shorter and fatter so finding a compromise is hard.

2.Dampening the grain slightly with a spray bottle softens the husks and keeps them whole allowing for a finer crush. There is a trick to doing this and doing it incorrectly will result in a poor crush. But done right it will increase efficiency and you give you better lautering.
1. So very true. Look at Rye and Millet

2. So very true. Brewers have dismissed this because they have got the trick wrong. The key is lees the better. 1/2 cup water to 5Kg grain max

Next batch I will add water to my gain before crushing. I had a decent sparge but every husk was ripped in half.

Cheers
James

James said:
Thanks for your feedback everybody. Today I brewed 2 American Ales using grain milled @ 0.9mm. It took a little bit of encouraging to get flow started, but once it was going it was all good.... plus my efficiency has gone from 60% with home brew milled grain to 75%.

Cheers
James
Nice one!

Ducatiboy stu said:
maybe your running the mill to fast
As above.
Try slowing it down.

I was running the mill very slowly (it was stalling often because of it). Running on my 18V drill I can't mill any slower.

I mill one batch on Thursday and one batch on Friday to brew two batches on Saturday morning. Will moistening the grain cause me any problems with this?

I would only moisten just prior to milling. You only need the grain sit for around 20-30mins

With the extra moisture in the grain it wont stay fresh to long. You run the risk of mould and also the breakdown of the starch.

It is generaly not good to keep milled grain unless you vac pack it

I bought the ozito drill and milled with 100ml water in 4.5kg grain. Can't believe how well it worked!

1431168431679.jpg

1431168451629.jpg

James said:
I bought the ozito drill and milled with 100ml water in 4.5kg grain. Can't believe how well it worked!
All we have to do is convince the rest of the brewers that grain wetting/moistening DOES WORK.

You just proved it.

Latest posts

Back