Ghetto Grain Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhsbaker

Reaction score
Ok, I don't have great woodworking skills, but I still had a shot at it...

My 18V cordless drill is a bit short on horsepower for this.... I had to put onto high setting and partly squeeze trigger to turn at low RPM.

What do you think of my crush? I have it set at a little over 1mm gap.

20150403_164031.jpg

20150403_164038.jpg

20150403_164045.jpg

20150403_164203.jpg

20150403_164225.jpg

some photos of different gap sizes (measured using a spark plug gap tool)

0.97mm.jpg

1.07mm.jpg

1.24mm.jpg

I would even close it to .9mm and see how it goes. Just go nice and slow when you do

Thanks for the feedback! I'll update on how my efficiency is.

A good crush is up to 30% flour with as many whole husks as possible

I've run my mill at 0.9mm since I started with BIAB, then 3V and also my 1V. Crush as fine as you can without getting a stuck mash.

I just use a CD to adjust my grain mill gap, seems to work well :)

What are the husks like. You may need to open it up a touch.

The crush may be too coarse in the above photos, but you can always run it back through the mill again (like I have done).

I used to use a coffee grinder to mill my grain. It always ground it into a medium coarse flour (which is perfect for BIAB)

James said:
Adjusted to 0.9mm. Any risk of stuck spare?
There's always a risk of a stuck sparge even with a coarser crush.
It depends on your false bottom & how brave you wish to be with throttling back your pumps ball valve.
You need to try & find the balance between too much & too little flow. There's a lot of flour in there & that would be great if you were doing Biab but it looks a little too fine for re-circ for me. Not saying it won't work but go easy on the suction through the false bottom.

Good point Crusty

There is no no single crush that suits everything.

Different systems can handle different crush's.

High % flour works in BAIB, but is a real bitch in a standard type mash & sparge setup.

If its to coarse it take longer to mash and eff can drop

You want to keep as much whole husk as possible

Also have a search for "grain wetting" or more correctly, grain moistening.

Picture below with 2 passes through mill at 0.9mm. I mash/sparge in Eski with copper manifold.

1428113103028.jpg

James said:
Picture below with 2 passes through mill at 0.9mm. I mash/sparge in Eski with copper manifold.
I think you'll be ok, but as I said before, don't open your ball valve full throttle when doing a vorlauf in your case.
Just take it easy & open your ball valve slightly & open it up a bit more when your pretty sure it won't get stuck.
I've had a few stuck sparges with my old igloo cooler mashtun when being a bit too rushed. It's a bitch when you get one but it's not the end of the day either.
I think from memory I just did a single pass @0.9mm & it was perfectly fine on most occasions. I'm crushing much wider open now with the BM & the MiniMill & happily sitting @79% brewhouse efficiency.

Not all malts have the same size and shape grains. Some are long and skinny, others are shorter and fatter so finding a compromise is hard.

Dampening the grain slightly with a spray bottle softens the husks and keeps them whole allowing for a finer crush. There is a trick to doing this and doing it incorrectly will result in a poor crush. But done right it will increase efficiency and you give you better lautering.

Latest posts

Back