Get into O2 guys, if you're serious about nicer beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet but can you use a fish tank oxygenator? Just thinking about overhauling my technique for pale ale's especially. Thanks
Yes it works, but not as well.
This morning was listening to a Chris White (white labs) talk and he said the fish tank thing will get you to 3-4ppm after an hour (dunno if ppm is the word, but the numbers were 3-4) but hold it there for a while.
Whereas O2 system will get you to the 8ppm that he recommended, in a minute.

Shaking was 2ppm

So according to that talk, the fish tank is better than nothing, but not the best.

Interesting the difference... maybe just me remembering the numbers wrong. The premise though seems to make sense.

(I am just passing on what I heard btw - I just use a paint mixer..)

There's probably lots of different answers, I did notice the Wyeast video was sponsored by Northern Brewer, would have made more sense to me to use your figures if they are trying to sell the oxygenating set up. Then again I cheat.;)

How about leaving an aquarium oxy generator on inside the fermenter for a couple of days while the yeast get working. Is this a good idea? I understand you do NOT want oxygen hanging around post fermentation

How about leaving an aquarium oxy generator on inside the fermenter for a couple of days while the yeast get working. Is this a good idea? I understand you do NOT want oxygen hanging around post fermentation

If it was that simple, people would be doing it.

You want rapid initial growth that is measured in hours, not days. The growth needs sterols, which you can either supply in the form of oleic acid or the yeast can synthesise them when oxygen is available. There is an optimal O2 concentration and that is higher than what you can possibly get into solution using air bubbles.

There's an optimal yeast uptake level rather than an optimal DO2 level as such.. In single shot wort oxygenation, as commonly practised, the two are equivalent but that isn't the case for other delivery methods and may well not be the case for the method mentioned.

Logically the optimal level of DO2 is zero as long as the yeast get their oxygen.

Dang. Because I really don't even oxygenate my wort. The stupid fermenters I have are snap lid and I just cant shake them.. most I do is swish a paddle around in it for 30 seconds and try not to spill too much out the top.

Lately I've been holding the syphon high and trying to 'splash' the wort into fermenters though. But it's probably not doing much

How bout the ol' paint stirrer electric beater? Might try that and see for next batch!

How bout the ol' paint stirrer electric beater? Might try that and see for next batch!
Paint stirrer/drill will get you as much as a good shake and a good shake is better than no shake. Good shake will top out about 8ppm - 10 is recommended.

Pure oxy is optimum obviously but if you don't have the setup, do what you can.

Make sure the stirrer is completely clean and sanitised, obviously.

I noticed a massive difference when I went from beating with a spoon to using a stick blender for up to 10mins (until it got too hot to touch).

Moving from the blender to the 02 - bugger all difference, if anything maybe slightly quicker to get to FG. That said, 60 seconds of pumping gas is much more convenient than making a giant milkshake for 10 minutes so I have no regrets.

to be honest, after getting a big o2 tank and the rest of it, I used it for about 10 brews and haven't touched it for the last 10. mainly because I've been doing pretty standard 1 or 2 pack US-05 brews which don't really need it. next brews will be lagers so will probs use it again then.

Thanks for the info guys! I'll start with the attachment considering it's so much cheaper. Damn, just recently threw out my 240v Ozito drill too thinking I'll never use it again.. just got my 18v stuff now but it's still ok

Cheers!

to be honest, after getting a big o2 tank and the rest of it, I used it for about 10 brews and haven't touched it for the last 10. mainly because I've been doing pretty standard 1 or 2 pack US-05 brews which don't really need it. next brews will be lagers so will probs use it again then.

I use 02 when using US-05, I've noticed the lag time is cut by miles and it takes off like a rocket.

Last edited:
Have to agree with using this. I wouldn't care what yeast I planned to pitch, it's the flavour and final product that matters (isn't this why we're doing this?) I just don't understand not using it if you have access unless "near enough is good enough" and you're fine drinking a substandard product.

I use 02 when using US-05, I've noticed the lag time is cut by miles and it takes of like a rocket.

I use 02 when using US-05, I've noticed the lag time is cut by miles and it takes off like a rocket.

I've been following a different process with US-05 and I've found it works pretty well for me. I've been re-hydrating in ~25 degree water and then giving it half an hour on slow speed on the stir plate. I find I generally get airlock activity after about 11 hours and close to full krausen at 24 hours, which is huge improvement from the old sprinkle on top the wort like I used to do.

What sort of times are you getting with the O2 (and what is your whole process)?

p.s. the O2 reg is going great by the way thanks again :)

As I recently learned, O2 can be bad if you use it at the wrong time. In this instance the wrong time is at the same time as sprinkling dry US-05. You need to rehydrate dry yeast or make a starter before you add O2.

LC did mention that.. but what is the negative effect? Does it just mean underutilisation of the O2?

Latest posts

Back