Gerry hates Amazon, so how will it change Home Brew ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manticle said:
Fridge?

Is this the same Gerry Harvey that was crying about paying up to 42 p/h* for Sunday rates for retailers?
Is he also a stand-up comic?

* A nonsense figure pulled from fantasy land.
Must have employed ex train drivers

Dave70 said:
I feel I must play devils advocate here. Gerry's not holding a gun at anybodys head and forcing them to upgrade to a state-of-the-art 4G tv from that poxy 2016 HD unit either. You can actually pay for goods in cash rather than credit. Yes, I know it sounds amazing, but its true.
Not his fault we're addicted to consumerism and living beyond our means.
Where the hell have you been ? .......ts 2017 you know. Got to go buy a fancy curved screen unit now. Them 4G's are yesterdays tech. Bit like old Kenwoods

Currently I do not buy from Amazon because of the postage

wonder if they will have zero postage as they do in the US

Gerry is somewhat past his prime and has been for a long time. He was the original proponent of charging GST on ALL goods bought online from overseas, for examle a $10 widget from Taiwan or a $7 paperback from the Book Depository.

Why?

He was terrified of the effect that online shopping was going to have on his businesses. Except that they aren't his businesses.
His business model is to open a big store that's in 3 parts: furniture and bedding, whitegoods/electrical, and tech / computers / widgets.
Each section is a stand alone store with often a different owner.
Gerry then skims off their profits, and that's how he makes his billions.

So Gerry couldn't open a centralised online store in the same way as JB HIFI or Rivers or Big W because he would be pissing on his own franchisees.

For example I buy heaps of clearance stock from Rivers - just bought a pair of deck shoes, sandals and a shirt that are $185 in store, total price online $80 free delivery.
Same with Target, they have a great online store.

Since then Gerry has opened an online store but I think it's a vanity thing that's designed to fail so he can cackle "See I told you that e commerce is a load of shit". Time will tell.

I think the reason his bricks and mortar stores are still doing ok is that they still have a big market among older Aussies who still like to browse real shops and whose idea of a lovely Sunday outing is to look at mattresses, and younger Aussies who are sucked in by the interest free scam. In addition they have benefited from some weaker chains such as Chandlers, Bi-Rite and Retravision who have gone to the wall - or become seriously reduced - since the GFC and HN has sucked up much of their former business.

Now on to Amazon......... :lol:

The only thing I buy from Amazon is books for my Kindle but about half my "purchases" are public domain books anyway, so that won't change.

Bribie G said:
His business model is to open a big store that's in 3 parts: furniture and bedding, whitegoods/electrical, and tech / computers / widgets.
Each section is a stand alone store with often a different owner.
That's very true Bribie but there is more, each individual owner rents their space in that store, and on top of that has to borrow the money from Gerry to stock that space. An idea he came back from America with many years ago, I remember reading once that if he spent $10 million on advertising he would be happy getting $11 million back.

Wasn't Gerry the one who wanted to bring in overseas workers a few years back and pay them about $4 an hour?
Cry me a river.

I think Gerry is right, it will be very unfair to promote competition for his business and besides he probably needs the money for a larger stud complex, so i think it's only fair that we all support him.

For example I buy heaps of clearance stock from Rivers - just bought a pair of deck shoes, sandals and a shirt that are $185 in store

Hey Bribie tell me you dont wear socks in those sandals :D
or was that just when you first came over here

Gerry has had a pretty good run, I like the $1000 above tax rule

RobW said:
Wasn't Gerry the one who wanted to bring in overseas workers a few years back and pay them about $4 an hour?
Cry me a river.
Twice as much as Gina

Just another international corporate that won't pay the due tax's. Not that Malcolm gives a toss if the mega corporate pay tax anyway.

I'm utterly disenchanted with the state of Australian politics. I'm certain Mal and Gerry are aren't though, seems to be working out fine for them.

A lot of people feeling the same way Stouter, hence the rise and rise of Pauline Hanson, Malcolm is totally ******* useless, and as for Billy the only reason he is leader of the opposition and not a union rep on a building site, is because on a building site he would be the last person to find out it was raining.

niftinev said:
I think Gerry is right, it will be very unfair to promote competition for his business and besides he probably needs the money for a larger stud complex, so i think it's only fair that we all support him.
I purchased a Chrome cast thingo from one of his shops last week. Hope that helps!

I got the ultra version because it said 'ultra' on the box and made me feel powerful to buy it. Hope they release the mega - extreme - chrome - ultra next time.

Unfortunately now I think I may be on the terror watch list.

ultra

ˈʌltrə/

noun
informal

noun: ultra; plural noun: ultras

1. 1.

an extremist.
    "ultras in the animal rights movement"

synonyms:

extremist, radical, fanatic, zealot, diehard, revolutionary, rebel, militant, subversive

"there is a new school of ultras in the animal rights movement"

I still have a Cathode Ray Tube TV ( dont panic, its a colour one )

Has one input so you cant **** it up by plugging into the wrong thing

Ducatiboy stu said:
I still have a Cathode Ray Tube TV ( dont panic, its a colour one )

Has one input so you cant **** it up by plugging into the wrong thing
Don't sit to close or you'll go blind, that was my mothers advice...or was that about the wanking?
Either way, I now wear glasses.

I'm just absolutely sick of Gerry Harvey's whinging. He is forever crying out to the government for help to stop online shopping yet all people were doing is cutting out the middle man.
What HN does is buys it cheap from overseas and flogs it off here at a big profit. (they just announced a huge $257m profit up 39% ) and you can bet that the buyers wont see any price change from that

rude said:
For example I buy heaps of clearance stock from Rivers - just bought a pair of deck shoes, sandals and a shirt that are $185 in store

Hey Bribie tell me you dont wear socks in those sandals :D
or was that just when you first came over here

Gerry has had a pretty good run, I like the $1000 above tax rule
socks sandals.jpg

Latest posts

Back