German grain mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The research I initially did on getting one of these says these are relatively simple to get within the EU...so you better hurry ;)

malt junkie said:
yeah but after you've tested it, and told us all just how ******* awesome it is, you and all your family are planning to again return to Germany with empty suit case and a list of orders..... right?
I was waiting for a reply like this to be posted. :lol: :p Well..... given the right incentives anything is possible..... But if I can purchase the top of the line model with crank handle plus delivery for AUS $100 less than the Aus distributor is selling the base model without hand crank or delivery then maybe a bulk import might be the way to go. However the manufacturer seems to have only select sellers for certain regions, so I think they wouldn't do it as it would breach some contract they have with Braufox here in Aus.

BKBrews said:
Do they ship to the UK?
Yes they do from this distributor for the UK and some other countries (also based in Germany) www.kraushaar-exports.de and they have the English (and French) versions of the manual for the Mill too. But from looking at their website you have to email them as opposed to directly ordering from the website [email protected]

For those in other countries (Europe, South Africa, Australia) the distributors world wide can be found on the manufacturers website here www.mattmill.de/vertrieb/

So for those that are interested, I have my Mattmill Kompakt Komfort. I can't yet give a run down on how it operates as I am still in Germany and no one around here bothers to make their own beer, so no grains to test (given beer is so cheap here it's no wonder). It weighs a tonne and two words come to mind. Solid and over-engineered. I like over-engineered so am very pleased with it. I reckon my grandchildrens, grandchildren will still be crushing grain with this Baby.

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves, but the ones with my hand, thumb and the beer coaster are with them held right up against the mill to show size comparison.

1.JPG
Hand crank bought as an extra as I thought I may want to Hand crush the grains rather than use a drill

2.JPG
with drill attachment and spare hex piece included.

3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
The Komfort model is with ball bearing bearings for less roll resistence

6.JPG
Coaster held up against the bottom. note the black rubber on the base plate for grip to bench surface.

7.JPG
This photo is just to show the solid build of the mill

8.JPG9.JPG

Yeah, with the crank handle, the weight comes in at 5.6 Kg. Good that I pack light!

It cost me €189 for the mill, €15.50 for the crank handle and €6 for delivery. As I was too impatient to wait until I got here, I ordered and paid for it in Australia via Paypal, which converted to about $310 AUD (and then the bank slugged me another few $ for a foreign transaction fee, so we'll call it $320). Had I waited until I got here to order it and pay for it with Money I transferred here at a better rate I could have got it for $303 AUD. Given the next mill version down (same unit but without the ball bearing bearings) without the crank handle costs $399 AUD plus $45.50 shipping from Braufox in WA to SA, I reckon I've done well enough. Hopefully the husks stay whole and the grist is good. From what I have read about the Germans use of the mill it is a top quality unit so time will tell. When I get back to brewing in the new year I'll keep you posted.

Jack of all biers said:
Yeah, with the crank handle, the weight comes in at 5.6 Kg. Good that I pack light!

It cost me €189 for the mill, €15.50 for the crank handle and €6 for delivery. As I was too impatient to wait until I got here, I ordered and paid for it in Australia via Paypal, which converted to about $310 AUD (and then the bank slugged me another few $ for a foreign transaction fee, so we'll call it $320). Had I waited until I got here to order it and pay for it with Money I transferred here at a better rate I could have got it for $303 AUD. Given the next mill version down (same unit but without the ball bearing bearings) without the crank handle costs $399 AUD plus $45.50 shipping from Braufox in WA to SA, I reckon I've done well enough. Hopefully the husks stay whole and the grist is good. From what I have read about the Germans use of the mill it is a top quality unit so time will tell. When I get back to brewing in the new year I'll keep you posted.
So in other words, the Australian distributor after paying freight, import duties, customs clearance and GST is likely to have made a whopping vegemite sandwich with no butter on home made bread out of a sale.

HBHB said:
So in other words, the Australian distributor after paying freight, import duties, customs clearance and GST is likely to have made a whopping vegemite sandwich with no butter on home made bread out of a sale.
Monday Martin?

monday-whatsapp-status-and-quotes.jpg

wide eyed and legless said:
JoB I am in the market for a new mill, did that price you paid exclude the sales tax?
No, the price I paid included the GST equivalent in German tax (mehrwertsteur I think it's called) which is 19% (more than the 10% we pay). I have not and will not get that tax back. (If by some miracle I do, then it will be 19% less than the price I quoted above)

HBHB said:
Given I paid the retail price, a higher tax than aussie GST and a higher price for a more expensive model mill, I can't feel too sorry for the Aussie retailer. The model Braufox retail is sold in Germany for €166 retail (current exchange-$239 AUD retail, which includes the 19% tax ($194 without tax RETAIL PRICE) and is sold in Aussie for $399. This is not the model I bought which cost €189 retail.

I reckon even with import duties, freight, GST etc they are still making enough profit to afford two or more vegemite sandwiches. Now it so happens that I was coming to Germany anyway, but if you factor in the price of the flight then I have paid well above and beyond and doubt my little purchase is a danger to the Aussie Distributor.

n87 said:
Thanks, Let us know how it goes.
Will do, but it probably wont be until late January.

Jack of all biers said:
No, the price I paid included the GST equivalent in German tax (mehrwertsteur I think it's called) which is 19% (more than the 10% we pay). I have not and will not get that tax back. (If by some miracle I do, then it will be 19% less than the price I quoted above)
Have a look into this, usually you can claim the tax back at the airport.
There is no doubt some paperwork and hoop jumping involved, so you need to work out if it will be worth it.

HBHB said:
Agreed, but note that the import duty (assuming 8438.40.00 applies) is 5%.

Jack of all biers said:

Given I paid the retail price, a higher tax than aussie GST and a higher price for a more expensive model mill, I can't feel too sorry for the Aussie retailer. The model Braufox retail is sold in Germany for €166 retail (current exchange-$239 AUD retail, which includes the 19% tax ($194 without tax RETAIL PRICE) and is sold in Aussie for $399. This is not the model I bought which cost €189 retail.

I reckon even with import duties, freight, GST etc they are still making enough profit to afford two or more vegemite sandwiches. Now it so happens that I was coming to Germany anyway, but if you factor in the price of the flight then I have paid well above and beyond and doubt my little purchase is a danger to the Aussie Distributor.
You can claim the tax back, and remember the Australian distributor will be paying whole sale price, assuming he is making 100% profit you haven't taken a lot of bread out of his mouth.

JoB I am in the market for a new mill, did that price you paid exclude the sales tax?
If you are interested there is also this mill, which is relatively newly released and has 60mm mill rollers, but at a much lower cost €119 (apprx. $171 retail including tax or $139 without the 19% tax.) It has plastic housing and the rollers are narrower than the Kompact models, but the gap is fixed so it is not adjustable.
MattMill-Student.jpg

EDIT - see here for some more (if you can translate from German) from a German Forum. The maker chimes in about the quality and robustness of the plastic housing and there are pictures of the grist the Student model produces.

n87 said:
Have a look into this, usually you can claim the tax back at the airport.
There is no doubt some paperwork and hoop jumping involved, so you need to work out if it will be worth it.
You can claim the tax back, and remember the Australian distributor will be paying whole sale price, assuming he is making 100% profit you haven't taken a lot of bread out of his mouth.
Thanks guys. I wasn't sure it was possible as I ordered and paid for it back in late October, but after your advice I looked it up and I have 3 months to claim it. There is some German burocracy involved, but I'll give it a try. If I get the taxes back then you may have saved me a further $50 or so.

Jack of all biers said:
Thanks guys. I wasn't sure it was possible as I ordered and paid for it back in late October, but after your advice I looked it up and I have 3 months to claim it. There is some German burocracy involved, but I'll give it a try. If I get the taxes back then you may have saved me a further $50 or so.
Buy me a beer if we ever meet, and we'll call it even ;)

OK been in touch with a retailer in Germany, have been quoted 75.2 Euro for delivery which is reasonable (I paid 80 for my Braumeister) the prices quoted are Kompact 166.79 Euro, Komfort 189 Euro, and Student 119.99 Euro, they have also offered to take off 2% to cover the bank fees but did not make it clear about the VAT so to confirm the removal of the VAT I have sent another email.
Is the difference between the Kompact and the Komfort just the gearing?

Jack of all biers said:
It has plastic housing and the rollers are narrower than the Kompact models, but the gap is fixed so it is not adjustable.
So the Kompakt and Komfort have an adjustable gap?

Latest posts

Back